Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a great time on my first outing with the 4095, lots of fun and not too much pain. I would like to know if Im doing something wrong in holding this thing or if its normal to be brused after firing 260 rounds of assorted ammo. Before I went to the range I was worried about some peoples opinions that this "just" shot pistol ammo. I was thinking it was going to kick like a handgun, only less due to its weight and would be fun, but nothing special. This sucker rocked me GOOD quite often!

I shot Wolf 180, Remington 180 UMC, Speer Lawman 180 and Winchester JHP 155? 165?, I forget, didnt like them at all.

I was shooting 180G rounds mostly, but the 165(?) ranger was no fun, the 180 lawman hit much harder, but it was so hard that it was kind of worth it if you know what I mean. :twisted: Like a long hard shove to the Winnys kick in the shoulder. The wolf 180's were rather tame and I could have shot them all day, same with the Remmington umc, but the rem had more to offer and grouped nice. The stats say the rem is more powerful than the Wolf and while it sounded like it was, it didnt feel like it, much nicer then the rest.

Anyway, how should I be holding this? Tight to the sholder? I was holding it tight to, but Im wondering if I was holding it too tight? Should I back it up with my hand on the P grip? Death grip on the shoulder? I tried a virety of things, even made tried to find a pad in the shop, a pad for anything, and even resorted to using folded cardboard to back up the stock.

Is there a decent pad for this stock? Anyone know of something close that can be modded to fit? Is this all just normal and I should just suck it up or go home? I did shoot quite a bit, hey, I was having fun. But I would like it to hurt less next time.

In not a little guy at 270lbs and Im starting to wonder if the shape of the stock just dosent go with the size of my shoulder? I know the point on the end at the bottom got me a few times, but I learned to controll this.

Any help greatly appreciated here, Im liking this too much to quit simply due to a lil pain.

·
1,792 Posts
The 4095 kicks harder then the 995. The 995 has more felt recoil then an AR15, means it kicks harder.

A handgun only has 4-5 inches or so for the powder to burn off and build pressure. the 4095 has what a 16 inch barrel to burn and build pressure. also a direct transfer of recoil from cartridge to bolt to stock to shoulder no buffer mechanism unless you count that little peice of ruber plastic.

So I am sure you were holding it right. But yes tight to the shoulder and bruising is normal after many rounds till you get used to it.

Eat a banana for potasium and wash it down with a glass of water. Now hide your shame your not the only girly man:p:) J/K

I believe there is a but pad for it but I am not sure I tend to not accesorise my toys besides the .303 with a scope. I guess the adjustable stock on the big guage is close but that was so it could fit the wife also, same as the AR.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I was surprised when i first pulled the trigger on the "Wimpy 9mm Carbine"... But as Thay explained: It's just the way it is... shooting pads may be in your near future buddy!

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I have the HP butt pad and actually took a piece of closed cell foam from an old camera bag, cut it to size and inserted for additional padding. I barely feel it when I fire it. oh yeah it the 40.
I hate to disagree, but the 995s I've shot seem to kick harder than my 40. They were all ATI'd, so I can't compare the OEM stocks. JMO.

If you do get the HP pad, don't count on it to hold magazines very well. I used some camo form to tighten things up a bit

·
Registered
108 Posts
you may want to go the route of a decent shooting vest as well. They are padded on the shoulder and are actually quite nice for stowing gear and supplies.

·
1,792 Posts
Well I remember when I had a 4095 and would shoot with a few range goers that had 995's one in ati. the 40 was always the mule mixed in with some puppies.

you might want to check the manufacture of that ammo:p:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh, Im not a wuss afterall...... :oops:

I was thinking about the mechanics that thayldt mentioned when I was at the range, theres just nowhere else for it to go but straight back. I guess some conditioning and a butt pad would go a long way. I looked for the butpad all over but could only come up for the one for the 9mm. The pad and 2 mags is a deal IMO.

Does a compensator make much difference? Im getting the bush "eye extractor" wether it will help or not, too cool not to have, but Im just wondering.

·
1,792 Posts
DUDE>>>>>>>>

DUCK tape it. You could even use a piece pf foam. If ducked tape cant fix your prop then it will never be fixed:p:)

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Heh, Im not a wuss afterall...... :oops:
Does a compensator make much difference? Im getting the bush "eye extractor" wether it will help or not, too cool not to have, but Im just wondering.
I didn't consider that but I do have the factory comp on mine and have never fired without it. I suppose it could make a slight difference.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far Im liking the idea of the vest and the Pad with the mags, I could use a couple more mags anyway, but Im not sure about the ability of the pad to keep them offa da floor.

Could hold a couple of Snickers bars though! :think:

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
yea the 7.62x54 and 30-06 do have a nice thump. but the british 303 is well...... oh my.
Im waiting to find out. Got a thousand rounds of .303 in today, the rifle (British No4 Mk1)should be shipped any day now, and then it will be off to the range :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I recently bought a Pachmayr Decelerator slip-on recoil pad (size medium) for my 995 that works well. It fits snugly, and I only had to punch a small hole in it for the sling mount stud to pass through. The pad I bought was on sale at Wal-Mart, I paid less than $10 bucks for it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Could hold a couple of Snickers bars though!
Hehe, now there is a man thinking outside the box. I like it, who needs reloads when hunger could be your worst enemy. I'm now inspired and looking for a Chinese SKS ammo vest like this http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos19/sksb.jpg to hold movie theater boxes of candy (Junior mints, Milk Duds, Raisinettes etc).

·
1,792 Posts
Im waiting to find out. Got a thousand rounds of .303 in today, the rifle (British No4 Mk1)should be shipped any day now, and then it will be off to the range :)
I have yet to find a .303 rd That doesnt perform better then mysele. the Bad ones are out there I just havent found them yet. The Sportsmans guide Bulk is some good stuff. I got 160 of them and took one out of each box to test. All flawless, So far.
The thump Well Lean into it. It aint no sissy boys gun.;)

>>>>>>>Raisedbywolves::: I THink the vest will be a great investment. Very versitile, Could even deck it out for fishing or camping. I think it will be worth the time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.