Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to take the 995ts out again today, to test out the new BSA Holographic sight we put on it. I bought the sight from The Sportsmans Guide on closeout for $29.97.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/bsa-multi-reticle-panoramic-sight-matte-black.aspx?a=547002

It is a 4 reticle sight, with adjustable brightness.

Before ordering, I had read mixed reviews, everything from "i would pay $400 for this!" to "The lens popped out on the first shot.", so I was very eager to try it myself.

Here are a few range pics.

The fit of all of the parts seem nice and sturdy. I selected the 65 MOA circle with 3MOA dot reticle to play with for now. After taking a few shots to dial it in, I was quite pleased with the accuracy out to 50 yards. At 25 yards, you could shoot the eyes out of anything you would like.

The one BAD thing though....

After maybe 12 shots, the bottom quarter of the circle reticle went away. I gently tapped it with my finger, and all was well again. After maybe 3 more shots, it did it again. Again, I tapped it and all was well. I fired 25 more shots, and could never get it to happen again. I'll give it one more range outing to decide if I want to take advantage of the 1 year warranty.

All in all, I am fairly pleased with the scope as far as brightness, choices of reticle, and fun factor. The disappearing act is a let down, but it is a $30 scope. I wouldn't trust my life with it, but I plan to co-witness with irons anyways.

I will update this as soon as I get to shoot again, and let you all know how she ends up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is that a Remington "Nylon 66" rimfire on the table next to your Hi-Point? Haven't seen one of those in a long time.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i just got mine in the mail today. i put the battery in, and nothing. i re-read the instructions, and even swap out the battery for a new one (3v lithium with positve side up), and nothing. am i missing something? i didn't see an on or off switch, and figured the switch & intensity control knob turned it on/off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just got mine in the mail today. i put the battery in, and nothing. i re-read the instructions, and even swap out the battery for a new one (3v lithium with positve side up), and nothing. am i missing something? i didn't see an on or off switch, and figured the switch & intensity control knob turned it on/off.
Hmm, not sure, I popped the battery in and switched the intensity to something other than 0 and it lit right up.... Sounds like a bad one to me?

·
Registered
44 Posts
After maybe 12 shots, the bottom quarter of the circle reticle went away. I gently tapped it with my finger, and all was well again.
Usually when this happens the battery isn't making contact well or the internal connections have a short. Most likely the battery.

I wouldn't trust my life with it, but I plan to co-witness with irons anyways.
The BSA isn't going to Co-Witness with the irons. It mounts too high on the rail. You will need a lower mounted RD sight like the Aimpoint T-1 style or maybe the FastFire style sights will work. With the rear iron sight mounted there's very little rail space left to mount a RD sight in front of it. It will have to a small compact RD sight.

GC

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't trust my life with it, but I plan to co-witness with irons anyways.
The BSA isn't going to Co-Witness with the irons. It mounts too high on the rail. You will need a lower mounted RD sight like the Aimpoint T-1 style or maybe the FastFire style sights will work. With the rear iron sight mounted there's very little rail space left to mount a RD sight in front of it. It will have to a small compact RD sight.

GC
Come again? Why couldn't I mount the holo more scout-style? There is no magnification, so eye relief is not an issue. Maybe install a spacer as well, to raise it up some and install flip up irons?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Come again? Why couldn't I mount the holo more scout-style? There is no magnification, so eye relief is not an issue. Maybe install a spacer as well, to raise it up some and install flip up irons?
I am not knocking your RD sight choice. I am just saying that it is too high for Co-Witness with the factory irons.

Try it and you will see what I am talking about. The line of sight is above the rear sight aperture. It might work if you install a AR rear fold down sight because it's higher.

Here is a RD sight that is the right height for Co-Witness with the factory irons. As you can see there's very little room in front of the rear sight to mount a RD sight. The BSA might not fit.

Looking through the Rear sight aperture & the Konus T-1 RD sight you can see the Co-witness.

GC

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ordered the same sight and just sent it back. The reticules disappeared totally after about 50 shots, I was unhappy with the quality. Nice setup above^^^!

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I have a similar sight on my WASR-10 and haven't had any problems with it. Mine is a Sightmark instead of BSA, but it looks exactly the same. I haven't had any trouble out of mine though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, i didn't mention that I planned on ordering flip up irons, not using the factory sights. You are very right in saying that the factory irons won't do. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sweet "Mohawk" Nylon 66... my uncle had one back in the day that I used to plink & squirrel hunt with. Kids & I visited home (12 hr. drive) this past 4th of July and I asked my dad about the 66... could've sworn he had it since my uncle passed away a few years back. It's nowhere to be found!! A real shame.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet "Mohawk" Nylon 66... my uncle had one back in the day that I used to plink & squirrel hunt with. Kids & I visited home (12 hr. drive) this past 4th of July and I asked my dad about the 66... could've sworn he had it since my uncle passed away a few years back. It's nowhere to be found!! A real shame.
Man, that sucks. I really enjoy shooting the old girl... No telling how many thousands down the pipe....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hmm, not sure, I popped the battery in and switched the intensity to something other than 0 and it lit right up.... Sounds like a bad one to me?
i called the site, and they are sending me a replacement with returning postage for mine. glad to see yours is doing its job..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i called the site, and they are sending me a replacement with returning postage for mine. glad to see yours is doing its job..
Good to hear, good luck with the next one! They do seem a bit hit and miss. (no pun intended.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got the NC Star version at a gun show a while back to try. I loved the heads up view it provided for fast, close up shooting.

I have mine set up with an absolute cowitness with my flip up iron sights and the first thing I noticed is that changing the reticle pattern also changed it's POA slightly. Not a big deal as I just selected the reticle I liked and left it alone.

On it's first range trip a screw that holds the upper sight unit to the base worked loose and about lost the sight. Took it home and added some loc-tite to the screw and didn't have that problem again.

Took it out again and after about 30 or so rounds I started getting a really erratic vertical stringing of the group. I had it set up with an absolute cowitness with my flip up iron sights and sure enough the reticle was bouncing all over the place. Took it off and put on another optic. I has since found a home on an airsoft rifle I use for practice and training new folks at home as it wasn't worth bothering to get another one.

From what I can tell the BSA, Barska, NC Star versions are all manufactured the same way and i'd bet money from the same factory. It's a great concept with the large and open glass lens but if I was to do it again i'd go with the more expensive, single reticle, Truglo version that gets good reviews.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I had one on my Buckmark..

The recoil of the 22lr seemed too much for it, the reticle would bounce around and the POA would vary. The biggest problem was that none of the reticles had the same zero. You would get the crosshair one sighted in just right, then later you would decided you like the target looking one. Simply turning the knob wouldn't suffice, you had to rezero for that reticle.

I got the J-point now, and really like it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would stay away from the cheaper low quality RD sights. They never last with heavy use. There are much better options.

If anyone is looking for a very good low cost Aimpoint M3 copy Primary Arms offers a very good one for the price and more. The AP M3 would look very Tacticool on a HP carbine. They get very good reviews @ AR15.COM

Primary Arms website link:
http://primaryarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

Here is a picture of the Aimpoint M3 it comes with what you see in the picture. The price is $70 and that's deal for what you get..

GC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts