Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Umh, NO ...

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this to save someone else some hassle.

Just got brand new 995TS that ships with the BSA RD30. The RD30 would not work at all with the battery that shipped. I have a pile of those around so I put in a new one. The light would kick on and off at random times, would not work at all on some settings, was generally random in it's on/off state. Never even mounted it. I planned to ship it in for replacement.

Read on another forum that cleaning up the battery compartment with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol on a new unit often fixes such problems. So I got two new Q-tips, my bottle of high-octane rubbing alcohol and got to cleanin'. As you can see in the pic below, there was a ton of what appears to be aluminum oxide filthing up the battery contacts. After cleaning, it works perfectly with the shipped battery.

I actually put a Vortex SPARC on the 995TS and will use the BSA RD30 on my Mossberg 500.

IMG_1523.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Thanks, huck. Shouldn't happen to a new unit, but an easy fix is an easy fix.

Reactions: huckleberg

·
Premium Member
8,265 Posts
I have an older BSA cheapo. This model has some afu crap going on in the selector switch. It has 12 settings, hi, med, and low in three colors, red, blue, and green, with 3 off positions. The contacts are a little complex, and to do it cheap...well the contacts float in the housing. The sight works great, takes a beating, it's been dropped several times, holds zero, good battery life. But you can't trust the selector markings on the outside. They mean nothing. I just find red hi. It's my favorite setting, and there is an off right next to it. It works so good it makes me want good ones. For close in speed red dots are the best imo.

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts
The cheap stuff can be problematic.

I have a cheap green laser, came with an on/off push button, and a momentary selector pressure switch cap. After the first few uses, it was working intermittently, it had shifted the internals enough to barely make contact with the battery, and the pressure switch had a short in the cap. Of course, it was hours of trouble shooting and testing to figure that all out, and then figure out how to fix it. Now that I have, the thing is 100%...but I was ready to toss it in the trash for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts