Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a friend and we got to adding up how much we've spent on our guns; we then focused on how much we have in just guns / ammo for supposed SHTF and what we should have bought / spent. That got me go thinking about people, like some here, who just don't have much disposable income for defense. So, set a budget, then tell us how you'd spend it. I'll start with an example.

1. SD pistol. On a budget I don't think a HiPoint 9mm is beatable--and the ammo is among the cheapest available. $200
incluedes a bit for extra mags and a holster.

ammo 500 rounds $ 90

2. Rimfire rifle, any inexpensive semi-automatic with some extra mags (sorry 10/22 a bit expensive here) $200

ammo 6-500 round bricks @ $15 each $ 90

3. Bolt action milsurp--so you can provide some defense at a distance. I don't like Mosin, so M98 $150

surplus 8mm is about $0.25 per round x 500 rounds $125
______
TOTAL $855

That's under $1000.00; if you raise you total to $1500.00 you could add a 995 and more ammo. For about the same money you could get a 995 without the bolt action and include ammo while still staying under a grand. I know many of you would include a Mosin rather than Mauser, and could buy more ammo for less, but I personally dislike the Mosin rifle; includes your likes and dislikes as well. On to the .22; there are several choices around $150.00 so a rifle with a couple of hi-caps is doable--for less than a 10/22 would cost (but I have 10/22 rifles) The HP 9mm was a no-brainer for an inexpensive, dependable pistol.

So, the challenge: Pick a price point you think is reasonable for someone on a budget and help them purchase arms against a possible future need.

·
Registered
974 Posts
This is very close to what I've done, but I traded the bolt action for a shotgun.

Hipoint 9mm: 130
Mossberg 22: 100
Mossberg 500: 220 (Day after thanksgiving sale)

Extra magazines 120 (ish)
500 rounds 9mm ammo: $100
8 bricks 22 ammo: $90
500 rounds 12 guage: $100

2 Rifle/Shotgun carry case: $17
Pistol Case: 9$
Locks for cases $10
Gun cabinet $90

$986

edit: this is my weapons locker, for my wife we made a few changes. Hi-points are too big for her hands, so her handgun is much more expensive, there wasn't any way around that. We havn't bought her a shotgun yet, she hasn't been able to make it out to the range to see if she can handle the 12 guage (she's small and dainty).

I'd like to add 22 pistols to the lineup, I need to figure out what good 22 pistols are out there for cheap.

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
This is very close to what I've done, but I traded the bolt action for a shotgun.

Locks for cases $10
Gun cabinet $90

$986

edit: this is my weapons locker, for my wife we made a few changes. Hi-points are too big for her hands, so her handgun is much more expensive, there wasn't any way around that. We havn't bought her a shotgun yet, she hasn't been able to make it out to the range to see if she can handle the 12 guage (she's small and dainty).

I'd like to add 22 pistols to the lineup, I need to figure out what good 22 pistols are out there for cheap.
I found a litle charles daily 20 guage for less than $300....might be an idea for her

·
514 Posts
a good, cheap 22 pistol is the Baretta U22 Neos. I picked mine up NIB for $189 which included two 10rnd mags.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
For the smaller family members a 20ga pump is about ideal, you can get them in standard or youth size at reasonable prices. Check the pawn shops too because you can often find used 20ga shotguns a bit cheaper than their big 12ga brother. A 20ga stoked with #3 buck in the tube is a very formadable home defense rig.

When it comes to survival .22lr handguns I find the Ruger 22/45 or S&W 22A about the best bang for the buck. Both are accurate enough for small game hunting, with practice, and will produce years worth of trouble free shooting provided you do your part and keep em clean and properly maintained. Reason I choose these two pistols is they use polymer frames that are durable and very low maitenance when you find yourself out in the elements for extended periods of time. The Ruger 22/45 (MkIII model) comes with a Weaver style scope rail, the S&W 22A has the scope rail as an intergal part of the barrel. This allows you to install a LER handgun scope or dot sight for more accurate shooting ex: small game hunting!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd get a Heritage .22 because revolvers will shoot ammo that makes autos ftf/fte. I routinely find a couple dozen rounds of ammo at the range that somebodys auto wouldn't ignite. I put it in the Heritage and it goes bang. Also a 12 gauge like an 870 can't be beat. An 870 is like the Mosin 91/30 of the shotgun world. I also love my Marlin model 60 and it's very accurate with iron sights and micro groove barrel. And of course any and all HPs you can get your hands on. Mike

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Man, gun prices in your neck of the woods make Arizona seem like a steal!

Mossberg .22 semi-auto w/cheap scope (Dick's Sporting Goods in Tempe, AZ)=$129

Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (@ J&G sales in Prescott)= $69.99

HP C9 (Tempe Firearms and Collectibles in Tempe, AZ)= $159

Then again, we can get overpriced here as well. But in all, I think we may have the advantage in prices here :angel:

Another set of options could be the Heritage revolver (they run about $99 used if you look around enough) in a .22LR caliber. And, a second inexpensive addition that never fails is a break-load single shot 12 or 20 gauge. I've found some as cheap as $50, and the parts list is about as simple as it gets. Once I start getting a regular paycheck for once I plan to pick up at least one of these inexpensive arms a month. $100 -/+ isn't alot if you play your checkbook right. Yeah, they might not be AK's or AR's, but for HD and all around utility, they'll more than get the job done.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'd get a Heritage .22 because revolvers will shoot ammo that makes autos ftf/fte. I routinely find a couple dozen rounds of ammo at the range that somebodys auto wouldn't ignite. I put it in the Heritage and it goes bang. Also a 12 gauge like an 870 can't be beat. An 870 is like the Mosin 91/30 of the shotgun world. I also love my Marlin model 60 and it's very accurate with iron sights and micro groove barrel. And of course any and all HPs you can get your hands on. Mike
I chose the Mossberg 500 over the 870 because I am left handed. The safety placement on the 870 is a pain in the rear for lefties. You can buy it in a left handed config, but then its no good for my wife. The Mossberg safety placement is ambidextrous.

Thank you for the suggestions on 22 pistols and 20 gauge shotguns. If my wife can't handle the 12, the Mossberg 500 comes in 20 gauge too. The Ruger and S&W both look very affordable, I'll see about picking them up this summer. We usually have good Mother's Day gun sales here.

·
Registered
236 Posts
a good, cheap 22 pistol is the Baretta U22 Neos. I picked mine up NIB for $189 which included two 10rnd mags.
That a weird but unique looking 22.

·
Registered
171 Posts
While deer hunting last fall I made a survey of small town ammo . what they carried enlightened me .22 rimfire was every where in great quantities .
next up is the humble 12/20 gauge shot shell in slug , buckshot and #4 shot .
In rifle 30-30 is king followed be 30.06 270 and a little 444 marlin .
In hand guns top dog is the .44 mag next up is .357 then .45 auto 9mm was least carried . this has changed my survival gun mentality a used 30-30 would be my rifle choice along with a .22 also a pump shot gun most likely a used Mossberg my hand gun choice would be a .357 mag as it can shot .38 special as well .

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Dang, I thought I was doing good until I started adding this stuff up :blink:

I have the following:

Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W (used) -- $100 (1 extra mag)
Hi-Point C9 (for my wife) -- $150
Norinco SKS -- $120 (20 stripper clips)
Remington 597 -- $170 (includes 3 extra mags)
Savage 110 .30-'06 -- $340
Hi-Point 995 -- $275 (3 mags, laser)
NEF 20 gauge -- free to me (but for our purposes here. to buy a new one, $125)

So I am at $1280 with the guns...

add 1000 rounds of 9 and .40 -- mostly FMJ, with a box each 100 rnds. JHP +P -- ($630),
1000 rounds of 7.62 -- half 124 gr. HP, half 154 gr. SP -- ($250),
100 rounds .30-'06 -- part 120 gr., part 150 gr., part 180 gr. -- ($75),
a couple of boxes each of 20 gauge birdshot and buckshot ($50)
and a couple of bricks of .22 ($20)

brings me to a whopping $2305.

Granted, I could probably do without the the 995, and also drop either the SKS or the Savage (dear God don't let my wife find out I said that!!)... but I like the versatility of having these different options at my disposal.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're seeing the problem. Recommending a budget arsenal for someone starting out can be daunting. Coming up with a workable, reasonably inexpensive, set of guns and ammo is very difficult. To be fair, it probably always was. Back in the day of $85 M1 Carbines and $.10 ammo pay was also much lower. Thanks for itemizing your list; it really helps to focus on how you'd help someone.

Dang, I thought I was doing good until I started adding this stuff up :blink:

I have the following:

Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W (used) -- $100 (1 extra mag)
Hi-Point C9 (for my wife) -- $150
Norinco SKS -- $120 (20 stripper clips)
Remington 597 -- $170 (includes 3 extra mags)
Savage 110 .30-'06 -- $340
Hi-Point 995 -- $275 (3 mags, laser)
NEF 20 gauge -- free to me (but for our purposes here. to buy a new one, $125)

So I am at $1280 with the guns...

add 1000 rounds of 9 and .40 -- mostly FMJ, with a box each 100 rnds. JHP +P -- ($630),
1000 rounds of 7.62 -- half 124 gr. HP, half 154 gr. SP -- ($250),
100 rounds .30-'06 -- part 120 gr., part 150 gr., part 180 gr. -- ($75),
a couple of boxes each of 20 gauge birdshot and buckshot ($50)
and a couple of bricks of .22 ($20)

brings me to a whopping $2305.

Granted, I could probably do without the the 995, and also drop either the SKS or the Savage (dear God don't let my wife find out I said that!!)... but I like the versatility of having these different options at my disposal.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If I were to make recommendations to someone starting from square one, I would have to go with a handgun (C9 due to ammo price), a shotgun-- preferrably a pump action (12 gauge if you can, 20 gauge still a good choice), a .22 rifle, and the .30-'06 (I prefer this caliber due to the availability of ammo, as well as the wide range of loads, anywhere from 90 grain up to 230 grain, makes it a very versatile gun).

This covers all of the bases as far as survival (ie., this should put you in good shape for bagging pretty much any game in North America), as well as basic self-preservation. I keep leaning toward the semi-auto carbine, though, as a worst case SHTF selection, because if a bunch of mutant zombie bikers are trying to kick in my door, I want the ability to throw a lot of lead at a high rate. For me, this is the niche that my SKS fills -- I like the idea of having 200 rounds on stripper clips ready to go. The 995 also could be useful here, but I have only four mags for it.

Milsurps are attractive due to price and durability, but the availability of ammo is beginning to become an issue (at least around here). Also, you do not get a very good variety of load options, unless of course you handload. I think the biggest sticking point from here on is going to be ammo costs, though. My plan to acquire 1000 rounds of each caliber has been very costly, especially considering that once or twice a month, I am using up a good chunk of it that has to then be replaced. And with current prices, I do not think I will ever have 1000 rounds of .30-'06 put back. So, I will settle for a couple of hundred rounds, and then get another 1000 7.62x39 to make up for it.

Thanks NDS... this has been a good mental exercise. Really gets one thinking about what is truly necessary and what is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Locks for cases $10
Gun cabinet $90

$986
Sounds a lot like my own list with a few small differences ---

Hipoint 9mm: $100
Hipoint 995: $200 (coming Tuesday ish)
Mossberg 500: $200 (friend sale )
Mossberg 500 upgrades $75
Extra magazines 100 (ish)
1500 rounds 9mm ammo: $320
2500 rounds 12 guage: around $500 but over time so not sure on where my real total would be at lol..seem to find a box in the cart when i go to the store.

I could of opted some different routes though if a SHTF scenario were to happen ..I am sure there would be chances to find something dropped so I went with more ammo then firearms.

·
Registered
189 Posts
First thing the correct word armory; an arsenal is where munitions are made, not stored.

For self protection on a budget I would advise a used pump shotgun. These can often be gotten at half the price of a new one, but they need to be test fired and broken down and put back together to make sure there is nothing wrong with it.
Next purchase would be a soviet designed combloc manufactured pistol. A tokarev or makarov are more reliable than hipoints. A maarov in .380 is best because of the availability of ammo. You do not have to purchase 100's of rounds. A few boxes should do to get you though a gunfight. If you get into a lot of gun fights you will likely be killed. A shotgun and a pistol should handle almost any duty around your house in a shtf scenario except for long range work. If you need to hunt pick up a used .22 rifle that has a good barrel. A bolt action will likely be more accurate or can be made more accurate by bedding work. For 28 dollars you buy two bricks of ammo at walmarts. Hunting with a .22 is more effective if it is capable of head shots on small and big games out to 80 yards. If you have the money buy a CZ452, this will run your costs up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I dont see myself hunting with a 22lr. Ive grown up hunting elk deer and antelope ( the coolest hunt ever) and using a 22 would be like peeing in the wind. Ive always used a 270 and on occasion a 243 but even the 243 alot of people say is too small. I was in wal mart the other day and saw a mossberg 270 for 250.00 that seems like a pretty good price if you need a hunting rifle but I would not get a 22 thinking that ill get it with a head shot. If im in need of food I want the shot @ the biggest area of mass possible and half the time you only see the prey for a few seconds or theyre on a run for theyre life and you dont have alot of time. If hunting for food Im gonna use the same theory as for self defense " I want a caliber with proven stopping power"

so for me, before I bought a 22 Id buy a mossberg .270 or another inexpensive hi caliber rifle and then the .22

·
Registered
189 Posts
In shft hit the fan scenarios there are no game rules. You hunt at night with lights, you hunt over bait, you use traps, if you have gas you hit it with your truck at night if you can. That is a common way of hunting gazelles in africa. If you want a high power rifle one should go with a military caliber. The ammo is more available and the rifles can be cheaper. But an accurate .22 will kill just about anything. It is done all of the time illegally. In my area it appears that the poachers like to use the .22 mag for head shooting dear rather than just a .22 lr. Back to the budget weapons at fifty yards with a slug the used shotgun will kill an elk as well as a .270. Remember this is about budget minded buying. When on a budget you do lose some possibilities. Any way in my part of the country there are no elk. We have deer and hogs and domestic livestock. Ranges can be close so that a shotgun will work.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would suggest a bolt action 22 vs. semi.
I agree-- I have several .22s, but have come to really love my Savage MkII. I have 3 10 round mags and 2 5 rounders, but really that is overkill. For what I use my .22s for, a bolt action for, it is perfect. Reliable and accurate, plus less moving parts when I shoot that could fail...$117 at Wally World, $15 for rings, and a cheap scope for about $35---works great-- for les than $200, you could get the gun, scope setup, an extra mag, and enough ammo to last for maybe a couple of years with fairly heavy use.

Now I just need to spring for a bipod...

+1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.