Budget gun enthusiast anonymous

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SPCsierra, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Hello my name is Mike and I am addicted to buying budget guns. Its just so hard to say no to a gun under $200. I especially love fixer uppers and "Saturday night specials". I just bought an RG23 for $75 that would miss fire every few rounds. Took it apart and 20 mins later had a great little 22 revolver. Today I picked up a SCCY CPX2 for $150 only problem with it is the frame is pink. I'm secure enough with my manhood to rock a pink gun (at home with no one around especially my girlfriend because she doesn't know that I bought either of them) until I can buy a new one. Up next is a Raven .25 hopefully the pawn shop doesn't sell it before I get a chance to buy it and really piss my girlfriend off. Its $110 with gun prices the way they are these days its prob still to high but I love her and will be with her

ichthyo and eldarbeast like this.
  2. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I like cheap fixer uppers too. I look for different types, but it's fun breathing new life into old machines.

SPCsierra and eldarbeast like this.

3. Cynical

Cynical Well-Known Member

Can you put the raven on layaway?

4. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

you could always have the pink frame cerakoted

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

Budget guns for the win!

SPCsierra likes this.
  6. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

I am similarly afflicted and am particularly fond of Ravens. Which version are you looking at?
    Here's a pic of the five Raven variations (for Moonzie's amusement.)

5 Raven -annotated.jpg

ichthyo and eldarbeast like this.
  7. I see a new Taurus or 2 in your future. Did you see the blem sale at KYGUNCO?

8. mej24

mej24 Well-Known Member

The frame can be swapped out for a different color iirc.

9. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Supporting Member

Thanks for the photo - I really liked Ravens.

eldar

10. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I bought a cheap pistol once, many years ago and it was my last.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  11. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Get black RITZ dye and a 3# coffee can, put pistol into it, add dye, add diluent of choice to point that pistol is submerged, remove next day and hang to dry, and BOB's your uncle. VOILA! A black pistol.

duster066 and SPCsierra like this.
  12. I am fairly sure its the P-25 with sliding safety and wood grips. I had a Phoenix .25 once. Hated it but wish I hadn't sold it now.

13. adam01364

NICE! I'm partial to the 2nd P-25 & 3rd MP-25 versions with the sliding safety myself. Phoenix versions have the ingenious - but PITA- mag safety. Biggest issue I've found with Ravens are the mags. (Sarahsmom can testify to that!)

14. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

I used to have three Ravens. LGS had a sale going, three for $99 and I bought three. Chrome, white plastic grips, pretty sure they had the sliding safety. All three worked fine. A bit later I had a Jennings J-22, chrome with wood grips. That one worked great too, and even shot accurately. Wish I still had it.

15. adam01364

I would have bought those three at that price.

I've cut my flock of Ravens by 50%. Which means I still have, um, more than ten of them. And seven of the Jennings J-22.

They must have multiplied when I shut the door to the safe.

eldarbeast and SPCsierra like this.
  16. BradZ

BradZ Member

Changing colors is easy.... I'm the opposite, I've bought a bunch of expensive guns that I've realized just sit there and don't get shot. So over the last few years I've been condensing the collection.

17. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

This ^^^^^^ sort of anyway.

I used to have a SNS collection. Ring of Fire firearms, RG, Davis, Cobra and the like. I don't miss them. Pick them up for next to nothing, fix them up if needed, fortunately parts are as inexpensive as the guns themselves, and at the end of the day you still have nothing. Sure, I picked up the little .25 for $50 and it's worth twice as much today, but when I picked up the little .25 for $50 I could buy a cup of coffee for 10¢.

I admit to liking the Raven .25 and the Jennings .22 though. The Raven even got me out of a tight spot once.

The next step up IMHO are the Armscor, Hi Point, SCCY. Each of these were good. All gone now except the Hi Point. I doubt I will ever buy another. Maybe a Hi Point pistol and carbine in 10mm when they come out.

I spoiled myself with maybe not top of the line firearms, but good ones non the less. I have lamented how I wish I had kept my Armscor handguns. I liked them. But do I like the M200 as much as the GP100? How about the GI 1911FS vs the SR1911? Nope, sorry. It's just hard to be satisfied with a Chevrolet when you get used to a Cadillac.

planosteve likes this.
  18. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

I like cheap guns, and always have. They're not my favorite guns, but I do enjoy shooting and owning guns that most gun owners look down on. That includes the likes of ROF auto pistols, my Excam .38 derringer or the couple of RG revolvers I have owned. And even more so cheap single shot shotguns, break barrel rifles, Chinese SKS when they were cheap, Mosin Nagants when they were cheap, and Taurus revolvers.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  19. rmuniz9336

rmuniz9336 Well-Known Member

There's only one problem I have with really expensive guns, and that's they're a little bit like owning an expensive sports car. You love looking at them, you love polishing them up, but to go out an actually drive it everyday!

I've a few expensive guns, but they aren't my first choice to head out to the range with and just have fun. Need an example. I've a copy of the Rifle that Tom Selleck used in "Quigley Down Under". I can count on both hands the number of rounds I've fired out of it. It's for pretty and drooling over.

Now my Hi-Point carbine, we're almost into five digit figures for the number of rounds I've fired out of it.

20. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I kinda agree, I do want an SR1911, but I really love my RIA 1911 A2. There is something about 14 rounds of 45 that appeals to me. That and I shoot it well.

eldarbeast likes this.