Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have some thoughts or have considered a sailing vessle as a "go-to" for bug out? We live in a congested area and though we have well water and could stock up to "bug-in" my concerns are the proximity to the urban environment (ground zero in this case) and not having a support mechanism with the neighbors to board up or defend - long story there. Figure it's maybe 20 miles to the river/access to the bay vice 100 miles to the mountains and any cabin on what would be very congested highways. Any thoughts as I start evolving a plan in this fashion?

·
Premium Supporter
1,434 Posts
I think if one has the ability and know how it would be a great SHTF plan unless of course SHTF is a Tsunami. ;) Unlimited supply of food and water.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I take it you mean really a SAILING boat. only use the motor for emergency back up. I like the idea..... make sure you have a reliable salt water distillation unit for fresh water though. and remember IF you have to hit land, all the looters etc. will look at you and your boat as a giant windfall for them.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
I take it you mean really a SAILING boat. only use the motor for emergency back up. I like the idea..... make sure you have a reliable salt water distillation unit for fresh water though. and remember IF you have to hit land, all the looters etc. will look at you and your boat as a giant windfall for them.
I hadn't thought of that, but have been considering buying a 25 to 30 foot fixer upper. Pete are there reliable salt water distillation units for small boats? I live about 5 miles from Puget Sound and a quick trip to the coast would offer ideal evac routs. Great idea!

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I think its a decent plan, for someone that is very experienced in sailing. Myself, I would be paranoid to even attempt it. To many things that I haven't been trained to do.

I would make sure the boat is loaded (and I mean loaded) with fishing supplies, enough to make sure you can eat every day for a long time, even with snagged and lost hooks and line.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Having grown up on the LEFT coast... I always thought .. well once I started thinking along these lines... that heading out on a boat would be far better then trying to negotiate my way thru the heart of Los Angeles if something bad were to happen... Santa Catalina Island is about 30 miles south of Marina Del Rey Harbor... Its closer if you leave from points further south... that trip can be done in an inflatable Zodiac with a 10 horse outboard and one 5 gallon tank of fuel... I've done it.. Not wise... but hey I was 24 years old.... 10 foot tall.. and bullet proof.... The Channel Islands are located slightly more then 60 miles almost due west of Marina Del Rey... maybe a little north too.. Finding a boat to make that trip would not be too hard I think... Those Islands can support a decent number of people for an extended period of time.. plenty of wild game..Goats.. Pigs.. and Deer... Fresh water... And some of the best offshore fishing in the country...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Duster, I personally have not checked into them, but know they are available and I would think in various sizes..... hmmmm something to check into. Quick google check shows there are units available, even a nice hand unit. $825. Expensive - yes, Necessary - YES

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Duster, I personally have not checked into them, but know they are available and I would think in various sizes..... hmmmm something to check into. Quick google check shows there are units available, even a nice hand unit. $825. Expensive - yes, Necessary - YES
Thanks Pete. This has got me wanting a sail boat even more. Old beaters are a dime a dozen here. Bitsman, my thoughts exactly. It's about 100 some odd miles out the Straight of Juan de Fuca to the open ocean, then north or south is very remote coast line for hundreds of miles. Lots of game and the few people are going to be the smart, resourceful, hardy types, just the type I'd want to team with. Hmm what can I trade for a 25 foot sail boat? Anybody want a race car?

·