Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering building an AR-15. So, does anyone have any experience with DPMS uppers? good? bad? Are they accurate?

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I own a DPMS Lo-Pro Classic, and I love it. It's my only gun, so I can't really say how good or not good it is relative to others, but mine seems relatively jam-free (I fed it cheap Winchester 5.56 reloads once and jammed it twice pretty bad, but I just avoided that stuff and no troubles at all after... I usually shoot Remington UMC and my own reloads from that brass). I did a fair amount of research before I bought this gun, since it's my biggest investment aside from my car at $720, and DPMS is well-regarded. I'd go with a DPMS if I were you.

As far as accuracy, that gun will outshoot my ability any day of the week with pretty much any ammo. I had my friend's awesomely expensive scope on it before, and it seemed to me like that thing was still outshooting us. At 100yds, we were shooting roughly 4 inch groups, IIRC... It's been too long since I've been out for me to recall accurately. It shot just as accurately as my friend's bolt-action .17 HMR at the range, and as I understand it, bolt actions are generally more accurate than semi-auto.

Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Branth, I agree with you on bolt actions are generally more accurrate than semi-auto. +1 on that. :yes: ;)

·
Premium Member
876 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I got a DPMS upper a few weeks ago for a varmit shooter AR. I used the slick side heavy barrel 16 inch model.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=519542

Midway has these for $410 when in stock. I get just over 1 1/2 inch groups with 55 gr milspec ammo and smaller groups ( just under 1 inch) with 62gr hunting hand loads.

Ron M.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
It looks as though DPMS uppers (they call them barrel assemblies on their site, though since it includes the bolt carrier and everything, I think it's just an upper) are running something like $400 to $600 on their site, though they are all sold out for the forseeable future. They come in a quite astounding variety of calubers, too, from .223 REM to 5.56 NATO to something called a 6.8mm SPC (never heard of it, myself).

Oh, and if you're looking for something kinda fun, I saw this AR upper in a gun shop once that used P-90 magazines that fed from the top, and ejected the spent brass down the magazine well. Cool part is, you could basically gut a magazine, removing the spring and follower, and use it like a brass catcher, though if you emptied the whole mag before swapping out it would probably jam. It's called an AR-57.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just gor a dpms upper a months ago built on a S&W lower. I can say that this is a very good weapon. It shoots well and I have yet to have anything jam. Iam skooting bulk .223 and it eats em all day long, about 100 rounds now. Accuracy is very good. I got a 3 shot group at 50 yards with a scope that where touching. I have a bunch of targets i shot with it..if internet will ever come back up Illpost em.
I scored my upper wich is a 16 inch with glacier guards, chrome moly barrel and m4 cuts with everything for 440 bucks. Look around good deals to be had with em. Its not a tier 1 or 2 rifle but hell if your not going to use it in competetion or a war zone I think it will be good to go.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at DPMS because they had an upper that met all of my needs. the 24" sst Bull barreled a3 is what I'm after. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :yes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you read posts over a period of time on AR15.com you will see more complaints on DPMS than on other mid tier ARs, but a lot of those guys only like the high end name brands. If I paid $2000 to $3000 for my AR I might be biased too.

People I know seem to like their DPMS's. I recently bought a Stag Arms Model 2 that I am very happy with. The only reason I went with the Stag over a DPMS is the generally more positive reviews on AR15.com.

Stag, DPMS, Rock River and others have entry level ARs that are about all in the same price range. Do your homework and choose the one that fits your wants and needs and I'm sure you will be happy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got a DPMS upper a few weeks ago for a varmit shooter AR. I used the slick side heavy barrel 16 inch model.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=519542

Midway has these for $410 when in stock. I get just over 1 1/2 inch groups with 55 gr milspec ammo and smaller groups ( just under 1 inch) with 62gr hunting hand loads.

Ron M.
Could you post pics of your completed rifle? I'm after a Slick-Slide upper.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Swifty, here's a couple of photos. DPMS makes a stainless 16, 20 and 24 inch model using the same receiver. I used the heavy 16 inch chrome-moly barrel. I believe you can also get the chrome-moly 20 inch barrel.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

this is what I am after. I figure this will give the wife and I many years of shooting enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I think Midway has the slick side version of that model in stock. They want $656.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
could have sworn I posted here...DPMS makes okay stuff. Stag is a tad better. Check out the stag deals at legal transfers.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go for a Ruger SR-556 and all the little goodies you get with it. :devilsidesmile:
wowowowowow that thing is hot. but, it is wayyyy out of my price range.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go for a Ruger SR-556 and all the little goodies you get with it. :devilsidesmile:
wowowowowow that thing is hot. but, it is wayyyy out of my price range.
It is pricey but next on my list...maybe... I seem to change my mind like a kid in a candy store when it comes to firearms! LOL :angel:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts