Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys was wondering if you guys could give me any helpful tips on building my first AR15. I bought a PSA kit and im planning on picking some tools up soon that im missing. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
Armorer's wrench, torque wrench, a set of punches, a dead blow hammer, and a set of vice blocks is relatively cheap. Especially if you plan on doing maintenance and parts upgrades/changes. They also come in handy for other shit.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Armorer's wrench, torque wrench, a set of punches, a dead blow hammer, and a set of vice blocks is relatively cheap. Especially if you plan on doing maintenance and parts upgrades/changes. They also come in handy for other shit.
Im building up my tools collection still. I need to add all of those eventually. Good call.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
What @Rachgier said. Once you build one, you will likely build more and a basic tool kit will be appreciated. Also for maintenance and all the other 'tinkering' you will do once the bug bites you.

Brownells puts out a good series of videos on AR assembly. As does MidwayUSA. I like Larry Potterfields laid back way of teaching. Here is a link to his video library.

https://www.midwayusa.com/video-library

Reactions: Newman31B and Rerun

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts
If you are assembling the upper, get the right wrench for your handguard/barrel nut. I have 5 different types or sizes, but only have ever used 3.
That, and vice blocks, are really the only specialized kit needed.

As Rach and others said...punch set, roll pin starter punch set, light weight dead blow non-marring hammer, channel locks and a torque wrench will get you there.

here's what I wish I had started with.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
If you are assembling the upper, get the right wrench for your handguard/barrel nut. I have 5 different types or sizes, but only have ever used 3.
That, and vice blocks, are really the only specialized kit needed.

As Rach and others said...punch set, roll pin starter punch set, light weight dead blow non-marring hammer, channel locks and a torque wrench will get you there.

here's what I wish I had started with.

How about a link to that set @ajole

I need to replace my old kit and that looks like it may just do the job!

Reactions: Newman31B and Rerun

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Thanks. I have this one.
99B416BF-93CC-45F3-9AC8-4DDFE03EE48A.jpeg

Been a good one but I broke 2 of the fine steel pins and bent a brass one. Not working on AR's, but on the Moona Mosin Psuedo Scout. Mother Russia did not want it coming apart! Not the tools fault, it was mine. I abused the tools.

I have the Squirrel Daddy roll pin punch set, think I will go with the Wheeler set. Thanks @ajole !

Reactions: Newman31B and ajole

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts
The short Squirrel Daddy set is what I have too. Craftsman long punches from long ago, and some cheap Harbor Freight rubber mallet.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
I have yet to use a punch while assembling an AR. A pair of channel locks with the dangerous ends wrapped in masking tape is all I've ever needed to push in pins. Now disassembly is a different story.

Reactions: fatal-bert33

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
I have yet to use a punch while assembling an AR. A pair of channel locks with the dangerous ends wrapped in masking tape is all I've ever needed to push in pins. Now disassembly is a different story.
Channel locks work well. They can cause uneven pressure if you are not careful and do not adjust them properly. . There is a type of channel locks where the jaws work parallel. I would like to have a pair of those, but they are expensive.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Channel locks work well. They can cause uneven pressure if you are not careful and do not adjust them properly. . There is a type of channel locks where the jaws work parallel. I would like to have a pair of those, but they are expensive.
6 different grip sizes and several different angles depending on just how you hold them. Always been enough for me.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
6 different grip sizes and several different angles depending on just how you hold them. Always been enough for me.
Like I said. They work well, if adjusted right. I have seen the ears broken off the trigger guard because they were not. You had no trouble because you did it right.

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts
I use the roll pin starter to start the bolt release or trigger guard, then channel locks to finish.
I use the 1/4 inch punch, IIRC, to hold the detent in the front pivot pin.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it all built up last night. Was quite the pain getting the front take down pin in other than that not too bad. I did a full functions test and everything worked right. Does that mean everything is good to go?

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts
If you did the check right, then yes.:clap:

Reactions: Newman31B

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not if you second guessed yourself it doesn't.
I followed a video by Armslist to the T. I was not confused on any part, I have and extra spring and deet that i have no idea why i would. Every piece functions perfectly as it should.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts