Building some 24 volt flood lights(run on solar)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MaryB, Aug 8, 2015.

1. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

24 volt light fixtures are next to impossible to find and really big bucks when you do find one so...

$3 led modules, 500 lumens each, a $13 buck constant current converter, surplus from my junk computer heatsink and fan from something I junked and presto the insides of a 24 volt flood light fixture for $19

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camera did not like this and shut down twice from to bright

[​IMG]

laying on my little work table next to my desk and pointed across the living room/electronic shop/engraving shop/gun shop/... camera dimmed down the pic because it was reflecting to bright off the laser engraver

[​IMG]

Now I need to find a couple boxes to mount this in and run 24 volts to the front and back doors...

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

That's cool Mary!

3. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Why 24 volt? Isn't 12v more common?

4. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Not for solar battery banks, 24 volts and even more so now 48 volts is used. 12 volts for really small systems maybe.

5. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    But aren't they still 12v batteries in series? We have non-solar UPS's at work 48v and 72v, but they are going through an inverter to 120vac. All our solar stuff is at 12v or less.

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I use 6 volt batteries, 16 of them. 4 in series and then 4 banks in parallel. Battery box before I fitted the lids. 1,100 pounds of batteries! Running 24 or 48 volts means higher efficiency.

[​IMG]

Half my solar array

[​IMG]