Bullet mold lubrication ?

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by TopGas, Sep 8, 2010.

1. TopGas

TopGas Member

Getting ready to cast some bullets with a LEE bullet mold. The instructions state that the mold MUST be properly lubed prior to the 1st use. The recommended lubricant is the LEE (of course) 50/50 Alox/beeswax bullet lube stick. Are there suitable alternatives? Can I make my own using Liquid Alox and beeswax in a 50/50 mixture? Anyone else using something besides the LEE recommended product (that's readily available)? Thank TG

2. dcliffhanger

dcliffhanger Member

They are not talking about putting lube inside the cavity of the mold. They intend you to lube the hinge of the sprue plate, where the blocks are pinned to the handle and the handle hinge. Any lube you get inside the cavity will cause wrinkled bullets until it burns out.

Just use a drop to the liquid alox as it is. It will all burn off in the first few minutes of casting anyway.

3. res45

res45 BoolitMaster Member

NC
    I clean my mold blocks with mineral spirits when they need it,for storage on the Lee sprue plate and my Lyman iron mold I coat the molds with a light coat of USP Mineral oil,one bottle about $4 is enough for a lifetime. This will protect from rusting, but vaporize off completely, generating some white smoke, but leaving no residue when the blocks are pre-heated on a hot plate.

I use Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant on the top of the mold block it's probably the same silver/gray stuff that comes on the original mold and also on the alignment pins just a dab on a Q-Tip is all you need,you can put it on the bottom of the sprue plate to. For the sprue plate hinge screw I just touch a small birthday cake candle to it just long enough to get some wax on it but not into the mold block,I don't have to do that often

4. I've tried several lubes on my molds. IMHO the absolute best product out there for lubing the pins and sprue plate is this product http://bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_lube.htm

The bullplate spruelube is fantastic. You apply it with a Q-Tip and 1 bottle will last years. I can cast hot and cut the sprue much faster using this stuff than anything else I've ever tried. You can literally wipe off any buildup on the sprue plate or mold tops with a gloved finger when using this product. I've never galled an aluminum mold since I found this product. Many people use other products but none is better.

5. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

i use marvel mystery oil to lube the molds and to keep them from rusting. i use regular lee alox lube to lube the bullets.

SW

6. While i am casting i hit the sprue plate hinge with a parafin candle. its like a big crayon o' lube. melts on contact and does the job

7. zombiekiller

zombiekiller Member

+1 on the Permatex Anti-Seize on the pins, hinges, and a very light coat on the bottom of the sprue plate. Also for close to a lifetime's supply it's about $4 at any Walmart/autoparts store.

8. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

you might want to rethink that. permatex's MSDS for anti sieze notes that noxious gasses may result if heated above 300 deg/F.

SW

9. zombiekiller

zombiekiller Member

I also emit noxious gases when heated. I was unable to find the MSDS for Bullplate so I went with the lube I knew vs. didn't. I never thought about MMO before. Does it last an entire casting session?