Bullet swaging Making .223 cal bullets from spent 22lr cases

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Ari, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Ari

Ari Guest

This is so cool It looks like fun, I want to do this. But it is pricey to get started. I only have a small monthly shooting budget. In years past this has pretty much gone for my 9mm reloading supplies for practice ammo. Well last week I picked up an AR this is something I want to practice with. Now I am faced with splitting my reloading budget between two guns. So I am trying to find ways to stretch the dollar per month. If I am able to find the money to buy this kit then my monthly reloading budget will go farther. Here you go take a look (this might have been posted on the old forum)

http://www.corbins.com/prrfjm.htm

2. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Buy pulled surplus projectiles and once fired military brass. You can stretch your dollars farhtrer that way. Swaging your own bullets inst cost effective unless you shoot thousnads of rounds per month.

SW

3. Ari

Ari Guest

Ya it is not cost effective as the gear cost way to much. But from a craft stand point it sure would be fun to be making bullets out of spent 22lr cases. I enjoy the reloading side of the hobby as much as I do the shooting this would just add to the fun. But finding that type of money for me is a fluke.

4. Bandit320

Bandit320 Member

I have to agree, from a craftman standpoint it would be fun to "roll your own" jacketed bullets.

Mike

5. One Power ball ticket and it wouldn't be a problem.

6. I read a pretty good article about this in shooting times (i Think).

Pretty interesting stuff but very time consuming and pricey to start. But it would give you a sence of satisfaction to make your own projectile!!!!

7. doktor

doktor Guest

8. Do you have a link to somewhere these can be ordered?

9. Ari

Ari Guest

The prices on the above link to the ammo store are good

10. Silicon Wolverine

pulled bullets were mostly from www.hi-techammo.com ive bought from other vendors but thier supply is sketchy and most dont resize like hi-tech does. brass almost always comes from www.brass-plus.com as i get to bismarck ND often and they are only another 20 miles or so north and i can save freight that way.

SW

11. Ari, Wideners sells 223 brass for $66 per 1k pieces, which stretches things quite far. You can also potentially cast bullets for the 223, albeit at slower velocities than jacketed bullets. There is a three part article on the subject at http://castpics.net/.

12. Ari

Ari Guest

Thank you... for the idea.

13. If nothing else, this guy... www.brass-plus.com gives me an idea of what my cast bullets are worth on an open market... Other than that, he doesn't have much to offer. I get 5.56 brass and all the 9mm I need at the range, and I get all the wheel weights I need from Vehicle Maintainence here on base.

The other website that SW posted has some good prices on pulled projectiles, so you guys should check them out.

14. Silicon Wolverine

A word on brass plus- i just found out the guy is going through a NASTY divorce right now and he isnt always around the shop. He is a good guy so please be patient with him.

SW

15. Just to let you know, ammunitionstore has been completely out of business since Sept of last year (confirmed at other forums where people near them went to the actual building and found it closed up and empty).

Their website has been dead since july or august of last year too.

16. It was shooting times.

17. Yes it sure was!!! Love that rag!!