Bulletproof backpacks

Discussion in 'Non Hi-Point Classifieds' started by Dane, May 18, 2015.

1. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
  2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I saw an ad for those things during the back to school sale insanity. Seems like a bit much.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

Perfect if you are gonna get shot in the back. Otherwise, its pretty pointless and doesn't do anything a $9 Walmart backpack won't do.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If those danged lazy kids would carry books in there and do some homework, they wouldn't need bulletproofing.:D

But seriously...have you seen how kids wear their backpacks? The sag them like an ex-con's drawers, the only thing those packs would protect is their butt.:rolleyes:

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Body armor, pure and simple! These are going to be banned in Commiefornia, and other fruitcake states!

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You mean that it, too, will easily and consistently rip at the shoulder-strap seams, suffer from broken zippers, and split at the bottom and side seams?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

Pretty much, yes.

8. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

These have been out for quite a while now, they were being sold right after Sandy Hook. The way they are supposed to be used is:

1. As protection of the back while moving away from the shooter(s)
    2. Held in front of the student to protect the front from the shooter(s)

Could they save a child's life? Sure.
    Are they 100% guarantee? Nope.

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

[gnashing teeth and wringing hands] Think of the children! Won't somebody think of the children! /sarc off

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Seen 'em. Seems kinda expensive to me. Yeah, some people are advocating purchasing them for your kids in case of a school shooting. Yes, they are usually airplane legal.

I admit that I've occasionally considered manufacturing some bullet resistant materials. Remember those "bullet proof clip-boards?" That sort of stuff. Or maybe lining one of my jackets with the stuff, using something like lamellar scales.

I know what materials to use and I could build a clip-board approximating NIJ IIA for under $50 pretty easily.

Maybe I should make a bunch of them and sell them here on HPFF. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj8s8VoKkEI[/ame]

12. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg[/ame]

13. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Commercial was typical idiotic left over reaction!

14. Interesting in concept, but they will fail on the most basic of levels due to the policies in place in most schools. The majority of elementary schools, middle schools, and some high schools will only allow students to use clear backpacks or book bags. kit can't protect them if it is in their locker instead of on them in class.

As to the "bullet proof" claims, nothing is bullet proof as there is always a bullet design out there that will pierce any level of body armor, and a rifle round will pass right through a level 3 vest. The other little known fact is this. Kevlar does not stop broadheads and double edged knives without a steel plate in it.

All these packs are is someone cashing in on selling false hope and a total lack of security. Still, I would like to get a few of them for testing against a $20 to $50 BBS back packs full of used school books starting with .22 LR working up to center fire rifle rounds. FWIW, I'm betting on the cheap packs. ;)

15. Or, for a simpler solution, Vote, and don't raise a [email protected] THUG!!!!!!!

I love how they say that every 28 hours an African American is shot by a security guard, a LEO, or a vigilante. Like it EFFING matters what color their skin is!!?!!!? WTH folks? I also have to wonder how many of these "LE, vigilante, Ect." shootings are revenge or gang on gang related BS, and LE is just the scapegoat of the left.

Just when I thought the Liberals couldn't stoop any lower, they do.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I guess that depends a good deal on where you're talking about. My kids are not restrained by the "clear backpack" stricture and I've not heard of it anywhere around these parts.

Of course. Kinda goes without saying. But even if it didn't, the Amazon advertisement clearly states it in the very first bullet point: "Protected with high-end NIJ IIIA bulletproof Kevlar panel - Tested and certified to stop 357 magnum, 44 magnum, 9mm and .45 bullets"

I haven't heard of any School Shootings where the shooter used a Bow.

I'm not sure that the intention is as a primary, "Plan A," option, but rather, instead, as a last ditch option for when everything else has already failed.

That said, I believe that the primary failing would most likely be trying to train a child to actually use it as a barrier in the appropriate way, in the appropriate circumstances, in high stress & high fear. This takes some degree of training beyond, "here's a new backpack, Johnny, if someone is shooting at you, pull it to your chest; now have a good day at school." I rather doubt that the children (for instance) that the nebbish coward at Newtown (may his name be forgotten and his soul cursed) murdered could have been trained properly.

That's not logical. Both packs would be filled with the same amount of books and the pack with extra bullet resistance would fair better.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Good points Kirk.

The clear or none policy is in affect here in the City High School my daughter attends, and it was SOP at the last school, a small village district in Western NY, she attended.

Perhaps I should clarify some of my post further. The average person does not know the difference between bullet proof and bullet resistant, much less what each level will stop. They would buy this and think that their kid will be safe from any caliber out there, and would likely sue the manufacturer when their little darlings were shot with a rifle instead of a pistol. Even if it failed in court at the end, the reputation of the product and maker would be permanently damaged as a result.

As to the no one has used a bow in a school shooting, It could happen in theory, and I was just pointing out one of the few weaknesses of Kevlar in general. The knife end of it, is a possibility, as mass stabbings have happened before. One occured in China on the same day as Sandy Hook. It just didn't make the front page, as there is never an outcry to ban knives when someone, adult or child, gets stabbed. "End the GUN violence!" is a war cry for the left, as is "It's for the children!" More folks get killed with hammers, knives, and fists by far than all shooting deaths each year, but where is the public outcry? :confused:

On the testing remark, another member mentioned the though, if kids actually did their homework, and had a backpack full of books, it would be just as effective as the Kevlar panel in the pack. I was not thinking about testing it with both of them filled with books, just the regular one. The other could be massed with clothing, and maybe one or 2 light paperback books or a thick notebook. The caliber escalation would be to test the limits of the book filled one beyond pistol calibers just to see what it would actually stop. No more, no less.

It really doesn't matter what you try to train most kids, some things will always just go in one ear and out the other. The closer to the teenage years you get, the harder this becomes. Trust me, I live with an 18 YO, but she has wised up a little over the last 3 years and has figured out that bad $h!t can happen to anyone after a close friend (they are like sisters) was assaulted by someone they both knew and hung around with. Quite an eye opener for her, as it showed her just what the police are there for. Filling out reports after you really need them. Point is, sometimes it takes a SHTF incident close to or at home, to open someone's eyes, and teens think they are ten feet tall and bulletproof until something like this happens. I know I did. Getting hit and almost killed by a drunk driver taught me different.