Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as you're aware I'm a relative newbie to metallic reloading but while waiting for Midway to get my press in I thought I would go ahead and start piecing together the .40 S&W components. My problem is I'm going into information overload and I don't know what to get. Eventually I plan on casting my own bullets but in the mean time what do you all reccomend and for powder too? The primary reason for reloading will be for stress reduction after work but I also need to save money in order to sell it to the wife so I've been looking at plated (i.e. Berry's, Rainier's, etc.) and Accurate powder but I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i bought a box of 250 / 124 grain round tip 9mm barry,s cast bullets i bought for 14 bucks in st george UT, im reloading today... i have the lee 175 grain trunicated cone .401dual cavity mold for my .40sw and it seems to work well... but i did have to size them all, they were casting out to about .402-.403////// i would buy 175-200 grain cast bullets any brand for target shooting and i use accurate #2 powder and winchester small pistol primers.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
i have the lee 175 grain trunicated cone .401dual cavity mold for my .40sw and it seems to work well... but i did have to size them all, they were casting out to about .402-.403//////
Rhino 801, when you cast your bullets, are you dropping them into a bucket of water once they clear the mold? Water quenching will take those couple of extra thousandths off the bullet itself when it hits that water due to the shrinkage when hot metal gets cold fast, kinda like tempering steel. This way, you don't have to post resize your bullets, you can just load 'em up and have fun.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
i have the lee 175 grain trunicated cone .401dual cavity mold for my .40sw and it seems to work well... but i did have to size them all, they were casting out to about .402-.403//////
Rhino 801, when you cast your bullets, are you dropping them into a bucket of water once they clear the mold? Water quenching will take those couple of extra thousandths off the bullet itself when it hits that water due to the shrinkage when hot metal gets cold fast, kinda like tempering steel. This way, you don't have to post resize your bullets, you can just load 'em up and have fun.
PrimalSeal, that is a GREAT idea. I'll try that next time I'm casting bullets. I knew this, just slipped my mind. Maybe I am getting too old? Hope not!!!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
If you water quench be sure to keep the water FAR away from the lead pot. Just 1 drop of water in the melt and you'll have a very unpleasant visit from the tinsel fairy. Hot lead instantly encapsulates the water drop then the water inside the cool lead ball turns to steam and explodes violently. just 1 drop can partially empty a melt pot. Safety first.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
If you water quench be sure to keep the water FAR away from the lead pot. Just 1 drop of water in the melt and you'll have a very unpleasant visit from the tinsel fairy. Hot lead instantly encapsulates the water drop then the water inside the cool lead ball turns to steam and explodes violently. just 1 drop can partially empty a melt pot. Safety first.
^ what he said.

SW

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I've got a 3/4 inch round scar on my left calf from where a hot drop of Alox flux dripped on it when I was lubing up a mold... Safety is ALWAYS first... Scars SUCK!

·
Registered
49 Posts
ya my first batch of .40 i did not quench them but i make about 250 9mm that i quenched// the guy i talked to also said to put a towel in the bottom of the bucket and after you make a few pull the towel out and let the bullets fall to the bottom than put the towel back in, this keeps you from damaging bullets as they fall to the bottom of the bucket... :D my new bullets look awsome,, thanks guys for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I'm told Alliant's UNIQUE is a good powder for shorter shells like the .40 & .45 cuz o' the fast burn rate w/o the high pressures. I've been happy with it but havn't tried anything else yet in my brief experience, so maybe some of the experienced reloaders can offer a word or two on powders for us???

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Unique works well in 9mm as well. I switched to Win231 as it meters great in my Lee Pro 1000 Auto Disk Powder Measure, and Unique doesn't meter for crap in that type of powder measure.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
For my 45 and 9mm I read everything I could lay my hands on and decided to use W231 or HP38 for both. They are both supposed to meter great in Lee powder measure. I've got 3# of each and will hopefully get to use it some day and see if it works well. Still no press or dies in sight! :dead:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.