Bullets won't fire or eject in 995 classic. Help?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Dlister70, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Dlister70

Dlister70 Member

I just traded for a 995 classic yesterday and took it out to test it. 100 rounds down range, trouble free. I took it apart a bit to see how dirty it was. Got the covers off and lifted out the whole assembly from the frame, but didn't separate the barrel or break it down any further. Put it back together and installed a red dot on it that was supposed to be for a shotgun to see if I could make it work.

Took it out this morning and tried to zero the red dot, but it was way low even at five yards while adjusted to the max up it would go. The gun was still firing fine, but I only put down 15 rounds or so while checking the red dot. Went and bought a different red dot and installed, and went back to the range to zero it.

First round chambers, and click. I work the charging handle, but nothing ejects and it gets stuck trying to feed a second round. Drop the mag, and both bullets drop free.

Try again, same results. Click, pull back the charging handle and nothing ejects, it tries to pick up a second round and gets stuck.

Third try. Click. This time I dropped the mag first and pulled back the charging handle. I notice the round is stuck on the extractor. As I work the handle back and forth, the bullet follows. It chambers and unchambers but won't eject. I get my screwdriver and pry it off, and it's not all that marked up, just a tiny scratch on the primer area.

I tried some more with three different mags, which were all working this morning, but they all did the same thing.

I'm not sure what could have happened between the time I was shooting this morning and now, but clearly I have some kind of issue. I would think that it has to do with taking it apart yesterday, and maybe somehow assembling wrong, but since it worked this morning I'm skeptical about that.

Because I'm a Hi Point noob, and it's only my second day with the gun, I certainly could be doing something incorrectly, but I can't think of what it might be. I'm hoping a veteran of these guns can point out my rookie mistake.

2. ace

ace Member

Broken firing pin. It is also the ejector. Pull bolt back all the way look in the port and you should be able to see the firing pin sticking out the bolt face.

3. ace

ace Member

Oh I forgot if it is broke call mom and ask her nicely and she will send you one for free.

4. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Like Ace said, broken firing pin. Give Mom a call, she'll get her up and running again in short order.

Also as for zeroing your red dot. POI vs POA is going to be low. Even with Irons at 5 yards you will hit low. Try zeroing it at 25 yards, you'll get better results.

5. Dlister70

Dlister70 Member

With the bolt pulled back, I can see the firing pin hole but the firing pin is not sticking out of it. It looks to be roughly flush with the hole. When I run my finger over it, I don't feel a protrusion.

I was thinking of sending it to Mom to check over anyway since it was used, but I was hoping to get more trigger time with it first.

Ah well, if it's the firing pin, there's not much fun I can have with it until it's fixed.

6. Dlister70

Dlister70 Member

I started at 10 yards and wasn't even on paper. I pulled back to five yards so could at least see where I was hitting, and it hit the bottom edge of the paper. So I cranked the sight all the way up as far as it would go and got to about 1/4 of the way up the paper (while aiming at a sticker placed roughly center) I guess I should have backed it off to a farther distance to double check, but I just figured if I'm that far off at 5 yards, I'd be off the target at 25.

I noticed the dot was far above the front sight. The replacement dot was able to adjust to right by the front post, so I think I've got a better shot at getting it zeroed once I get the gun shooting again!

7. ace

ace Member

Dlister you can send it in if you want but I would just call and ask for a firing pin for it. They will have it to you in less time than sending the gun back. You'll be up and going in no time. It is very easy to install. There is a youtube video if you need it.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The red dots or scopes will not co-witness with the sight, but that's not an issue.

Are you using the metal Oem rail that the classic had? Is your red dot sitting flush, or is there a cross bolt riding high in a slot? Got any pictures?

9. Dlister70

Dlister70 Member

Had an easy customer service experience with Mom this morning. I got a busy signal for a few minutes and then go through. The whole call lasted 60 seconds. I asked for a firing pin and she asked for my serial number and model. Then asked for a mailing address and said she'd get it sent out right away and I should see it in 5-7 days.

"No questions asked" is exactly what I experienced. The only questions were what do I need and where do they send it. Pretty impressive. The install video looks easy enough, so hopefully this is all I need to get up and running.

I noticed that the receiver cover was not pushed down all the way when I reassembled the gun. The bolt and nut tightened up but the corner of the cover is not flush with the frame. I wonder if that allowed enough barrel movement to make the feed ramp angle awkward enough to cause a feed issue and snap the firing pin?

10. Taheeti

Taheeti Member

Mom sent me out a new pin right away to replace the kinked/bent one in my 4595 right away last week. Thanks Mom!

11. Dlister70

Dlister70 Member

I'm ok with it not being able to co-witness, I just couldn't get it on target at all.

I don't have any pics, but this is the red dot that wasn't working:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vanguard-winchester-1x40mm-shotgun-scope-kit.html

The guy who traded me the gun also traded me this red dot but he hadn't used it on the gun before. I took off the iron sights and installed the OEM rail, and the cross bolt was settled down in the groove of the rail. There was another metal piece on the rail running down the middle that I removed because I couldn't get the red dot mounted with that in place.

I just assumed that since it was a shot gun sight that it didn't have the range to adjust to a rifle, but I guess that doesn't make a lot of sense because if you are deer hunting with a slug gun, you'd want the same kind of adjustment. I'm not sure why I couldn't get it on target, but I didn't even come close.

I bought a cheap Barska reticle for $40 which appears to adjust much farther up than the Winchester one did, so I think I'll get it on target once I get the firing pin from Mom and get it installed.

12. Dlister70

Dlister70 Member

The firing pin came in the mail yesterday and the install was pretty easy. The new firing pin seems beefier than the old one, so it should hold up well.

I got out to the range today and zeroed in the new red dot reticle.

Holy cow, this gun was a whole lot of fun to shoot! I went through 150 rounds before I knew it! I think all the people who talk trash on Hi Points have just never shot one, because I don't see how you could not have fun shooting this gun!

Once I got the red dot where I wanted, I was shooting pretty decent groups offhand at 25 yards. I'm not a steady offhand rifle shooter by any stretch of the imagination, and I could see the red dot dancing while I was trying to hold the carbine steady. But the gun did its job when I did, so I can't fault the gun for my unsteadiness! On a sandbag rest, it was putting bullets on top of each other.

I'm really pleased to have picked this carbine up. The only problem I see is that I need more mags and more ammo! :)

13. ndindy

ndindy Member

Well, tbh many of the off-hand carbine bragging groups (and ranges fired at) I see are about the same as a decent off-hand pistol group. It's a bit easier to get that group with a long gun than a pistol especially with a lower trigger time shooter. When I first started I could only hit the broad side of a barn with my pistol if I was standing inside it with the doors shut. A couple years later I carried an expert rating with the dept, lots of trigger time involved in that. Now I'm basically retired and don't do much with a pistol... so groupings would probably be ugly :laugh: Things going bang is always fun though.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Glad things got worked out.:)

And a BIG plus 1 to needing more mags and ammo.;)

15. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Now you can see where other former HP owners have obtained a used HP, and NOT know the history of the gun or have any patience will run out and just RAG that Hi Points are JUNK & a "piece of you know what." Your gun had been shot many times & things tend to wear out. With just a little patience & a little research you have found a cure to your Hi Point. Some people think that because HP's are not expensive that they will wear out faster than a more expensive gun. BUT you didn't have to pay for your parts, that is the BIG picture!!!