Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of quick questions,
I was wondering if anybody else has had a tough time obtaining ammo? I can't put my hands on muc without paying an arm or a leg forit and that is even when you can find it. My other questions are these, is this ammo shortage I have seen and read about going to end?, or is this how it's going to be from here on out? I have a .380 and can't get my hands on ammo at all in my area. I am in the market for aJHP and I own a 995 but it seems pointless to buy the JHP if I can't find ammo for it. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Yep, ammo is in short supply most everywhere, especially the cheap stuff. Believe it or not supply is better now than it was a few months ago and should get better within the next year. prices will atay high as long as the shelves are bare.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Back in early summer, it was getting tough to reliably find handgun ammo around here, but it's gotten a lot better since. Should improve in your area, too. .380 is still very tough to find, though...

·
Registered
313 Posts
It is improving around here also, but you got to be willing to pay more for it. The days of cheap ammo I believe is no longer going to return, but if you are willing to pay $5 more a box then you will be able to find a steady supply imo..except for .380 lol..that is like trying to find waldo in a 300 foot pic.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
There's been a decent supply of 9mm & .40 in this area, haven't seen much 45acp & absolutely no .380 what so ever in the last eight mo.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A gun shop owner told me that they were making and selling 9mm so fast that they wouldn't stop to produce .380 ammo. I have been looking for my friend some .380 ammo and I have found none.

·
Registered
42 Posts
there's a shop where I am at that has .380 and they don't want your 1st born either.. about $20 a box of 50
I'm in Eastern Ky.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's hardly any handgun ammo available around where I'm at as well. There never is any when I need it. I usually order most of my stuff anyways since places around here don't carry what ammo I really want or need.

I usually buy in bulk. I'll get enough at the beginning of the year and some in the middle of the summer. I usually get enough where I don't need to run out and buy 2 boxes or so. You can find better deals by the case.

With that said, It's not going to end until "You know who" is out of office.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
There's been a decent supply of 9mm & .40 in this area, haven't seen much 45acp & absolutely no .380 what so ever in the last eight mo.
Yup, starting to see more 9mm & .40 show up in my area. Also seeing 45acp., 38 special and 357 mag but no .380.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I thought about picking up a hipoint .380 for my wife but with the lack of ammo doesnt seem like a smart choice. There is a guy selling one locally for $100 and he has 4 boxes of .380 ammo for sale also. 9mm is very hard to find around here also. I bought 1000 rounds at a gun show so Im good to go for a while

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ammo is easy to find here in Columbus now. Pretty cheap too. I have seen .380 but only at the local gun store and there is still a one box limit on it per customer.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
i was at WM this week & they had no less than 5 boxes of .380, 100rd Winchester WB... first i've seen in a looong time. They've been carrying .40 regularly & 9mm even frequently. A month or so ago they had .45acp (but i haven't seen any of that since it left in my cart).

i still laugh when folks say, "reloading doesn't REAAALLY pay for itself, does it?" LOL.

I actually bought lead bullets they other day & made-up 2 50rd boxes of .45acp for roughly $6 each... prolly about $1.50/50 when I cast my own... my latest hunting load costs me about $8/50 (and that's with 240gr & 250gr bullets!) so I still encourage anyone to visit the reloading section of HPFF & get started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Went to walmart today. I happened to walk by the ammo case and saw 3 boxes of .380, 100rd Winchester WB. Needless to say they went home with me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i was at WM this week & they had no less than 5 boxes of .380, 100rd Winchester WB... first i've seen in a looong time. They've been carrying .40 regularly & 9mm even frequently. A month or so ago they had .45acp (but i haven't seen any of that since it left in my cart).

i still laugh when folks say, "reloading doesn't REAAALLY pay for itself, does it?" LOL.

I actually bought lead bullets they other day & made-up 2 50rd boxes of .45acp for roughly $6 each... prolly about $1.50/50 when I cast my own... my latest hunting load costs me about $8/50 (and that's with 240gr & 250gr bullets!) so I still encourage anyone to visit the reloading section of HPFF & get started.
Exactly. Reloading does save you $$$ if you shoot alot. You may not see it at first when you buy all the equipment but in the long run you will. Me and my father have reloaded 12 gauge shells for a looong time for shooting skeet. We'd see guys at the range who buy a case of shells and throw the hulls away. We'd tell them to save the emptys and give them to us, so we pretty much got brand new hulls for free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i live in southeast missouri and ammo is pretty hard to find cheap, like one of the others said. i can get wwb 100rd for $37 all day but i wont pay that. if your gonna get it at wal mart you better set up a tent but there $22. federal 50 rd are under $10. almost impossible to catch any on the shelf. i drive a truck over the road and i just stop at wal marts till i find what im looking for. it seems when u get close the the bigger cities it seems to be more available.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
at those prices it's a good thing you get to travel!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm about an hr north of Atlanta, and my local WM's are dare I say "stocking" ammo again. ive seen a 9/40/45/38 all on a pretty regular basis. havnt seen much 380 yet, but the shelves actually have boxes of ammo on them. there are still lots of empty spaces.......
fed 9mm was 9.97 bx, wwb was about 14, 50rd box

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
You should really look into reloading your own ammo.
What he said. The initial cost can be kinda costly, especially if you get the really nice stuff. But once you start doing it, it'll pay for itself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts