Bumpstocks might be legal again

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by lklawson, Sep 11, 2020.

1. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Prediction: The 10th will slap it down, BATFE will not try to reclassify as a machine gun after getting it slapped down. What was wanted has been accomplished and the reclassification is no longer needed.

Just my .02 cents.

undeRGRound and Rerun like this.
  2. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

This whole thing reminds me of the time the ATF tried to classify Calico firearms as 'machineguns' because their weapons had fifty and one hundred round magazines.

ATF - a total f*ckup.

eldar

Visper likes this.

3. Pathfinder1

Pathfinder1 Member

second...come November...

4. FlashBang

Got a link to any information on BATFE trying to classify it as a MG? I've never heard of that occurring. I know Calico failed because their platform was introduced during the 94 AWB which limited a weapon to 10 rounds. The Calico entire design was around the helical 50/100 round magazine design.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Would this possibly mean the gun grabbers were thrown off the scent for a while?

I know lots of people poo-pooed @MaryB for saying this basic thing, that Trump
    was just throwing them a red herring. I happen to think MB may have been right!

6. I think politicians are so ignorant, someone could start a story on why "frog ears" are responsible for making people shoot other people and they would try to pass a bill to ban them and make frogs illegal. "T" for trying but where is the critical thinking going on? Oh, yeah, it's really about re-election! Nah, couldn't be, they represent us, right? It's about us, or is it them? I'm confused.

7. This is off topic but I watched a video where a guy talked about every military in the world that has attempted to use drum magazines for firearms always ended up going back to stick or box magazines. Reasons drum magazines do not work out:

1) They are a lot harder to manufacture
    2) Drum magazines are generally more bulky and less reliable than stick or box magazines

8. FlashBang

It got people to destroy them or turn them in themselves and manufacturers to stop making them. Additionally it gave States time to ban them at a State level. Now as a result, if/when it gets slapped down by the 10th it won't matter. And to top it off BATFE doesn't have to rely on getting the law changed by a divided Congress/Senate.

undeRGRound likes this.
  9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That depends on whether or not the ruling is decided on Chevron Deference or on Second Amendment. If it's based on Chevron Deference, which I believe is likely, then the states are individually, free to ban. If the ruling is a Second Amendment ruling, which there is a slim possibility it might include, then the states would also be slapped down on their bans.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The theory that Trompe was playing 4-D chess? I suppose that anything is possible, but I still don't believe it. I think he was just reacting.

I think that there is a stronger case to be made that the ATF was just capitulating to make the politicians stop screaming, even though they knew they would lose in the end.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

undeRGRound likes this.
  11. undeRGRound

INDY
    Thanks for weighing in!
    Any time I have quoted anything @FlashBang has said regarding ATF matters, well, let's jsut say it seems like a perfect argument ender ;)

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    We will never know in this world.

Thanks Kirk, good application of Occam's Razor, or is it Hanlon's?

13. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I wonder how many people actually destroyed or turned in their bump stocks. Would be nice if they got to dig them up and use them again.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Mark Walters, host of Armed American Radio, has repeatedly, on the air, stated that he did not turn his bump stock in and did not destroy it but that, somehow or other, <cough> it's "lost" and he "can't find it" or "doesn't know where it is." <cough>

I strongly doubt that he is unique.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Visper likes this.
  15. I was in the ocean and the boat turned over. Been a lot of that lately. Darned hurricanes....

1024Megabytes likes this.
  16. FortyFiveAuto

FortyFiveAuto Member

Doesn’t matter. If Biden gets elected they are going to be demanding you turn over all your semi automatic weapons.

17. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

They don't have enough ATF agents and the local police from where a lot of us live most likely will not go door to door to enforce that. Not saying they won't try.

look at Australia: (a blurb I found - quick internet search)

"During the buyback program, Australians sold 640,000 prohibited firearms to the government, and voluntarily surrendered about 60,000 non-prohibited firearms. In all, more than 700,000 weapons were surrendered, according to a Library of Congress report on Australian gun policy. One study says that the program reduced the number of guns in private hands by 20 percent."

18. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

I don't know if those stocks will come back or not, but I do know the way Trump did that one, was dumb in my humble opinion.

Rerun and moona11 like this.