Buying a HP pistol tomorrow

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Irishfanatik, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

Since purchasing my 995ts and loving it, I have spent quite a bit of time on this forum reading about and viewing photos of everybody's pistols. While at first I thought they were quite unappealing, they have grown on me. I don't remember whose pistol with the polished frame it was, but I saw a photo of one and my mind was made up. I have to get me one. Then I saw the thing meister grips and my decision was further solidified. My only issue now is this. 40 or 45. I have guns in both calibers so I already have ammo. I don't need another 9mm so it is down to these two calibers for me. Please feel free to weigh in with your opinion. I'd like to know if anyone has a reason to go one way or the other. I wish I could find a used one that already has the polished slide, I'm nervous about doing that but really liked the look. Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day.

2. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

Polish it your self It's easy to do . On the 40 or 45 why not both. I have the nine and 40 in a high point pistole and a 40 in a carbine just need the 45 pistole for the compleat set. Well I forgot about the 380 haven't gotten that one either o well another one to buy . I don't mind owning all the different callibers just more to reload for. I really like the 40 it just fits my hand I like the size of it .

3. Irishfanatik

Lots of guys claim it is very easy. I'm just worried about messing it up.

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I was a little shy about polishing one also, so I bought a few of the original Nickels from back in the day?

Attached Files:

5. Irishfanatik

That's so awesome Melvin. If I could just find one of those.

6. MachoMelvin

The Nickel 380 & 9mm adjustable sights pop up every now and again. I'm looking for the 380 Nickel with fixed sights, the Iberia-40 Nickel & the Haskell JS45 Nickel. Then I would have them all!

7. MachoMelvin

The 2nd & 3rd ones down from the top were sent to HP owners last year after they had sent their broken black JS-9's in for repairs.

8. Irishfanatik

Good luck. I hope you find them. I'll be sure to let you know if I see them. I don't see used ones very often where I live.

9. Irishfanatik

I could never have that kind of luck. Apparently those guys didn't think it was good luck though.

10. MachoMelvin

Neither guys were collectors, I met one & did a gun exchange. He had bought a black JS-9 Stallard for $20 @ a evidence gun sale. It was all beat up when he sent it back to MoM, but was surprised when he got the Nickel in return. I PM'd him offering to buy it. He was happy to help me out with my collection.

11. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I am a fan of the 380 and 45, so I would go 45.

That being said, Hi Point just screams 9mm and 40 to me. Just saying.

12. Irishfanatik

I ended up buying the 40. I already have a few 45s, so I decided on the 40. I can't wait to try it out. That won't be until Sunday. I hate waiting.

13. Irishfanatik

Melvin, I told the manager to call me if she got any used nickle hp's in. It's unlikely, but if she gets any of the ones you are looking for, I'll let you know.

14. Irishfanatik

I finally had some time to play with my new 40. Loading snap caps and trying out the trigger, just trying to get used to the new toy in anticipation of its first trip to the range. I knew all along that it was heavy, but Damn, IT IS HEAVY! It definitely feels good in my hand though, and when I bring it into shooting position my eye picks up the sight picture like I have fired the pistol for years. I think once I get used to the weight and bulk, I'm really going to enjoy this gun. Heres hoping I don't wreck it with my first attempt at polishing a frame.

15. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Exactly how does one polish a plastic frame?

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Carefully.

17. Irishfanatik

Haha. I should know better than to post without proofreading. I'm probably only going to polish the metal parts. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

18. Irishfanatik

Going to the range. Shooting the 40 for the first time. So exciting!

I apologize for the lack of feet in the photo.

Attached Files:

19. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

So how did it perform?

20. Irishfanatik

Flawlessly! We had a great time. 100 rounds of Winchester white box and 100 rounds of federal without any problems. My wife even liked shooting the 40. Of course she still likes shooting the 995 better, it is her favorite gun.