C&R License, Is It Worth It???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by Dubar, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I probably should have gotten one a year ago, now 4 C&R rifles later I'm asking myself why I didn't.

Don't know if I'll buy anymore C&R firearms, but for $30 to get the license, that will potentially save me several FFL fees down the road.

Any reason NOT to get one?

Think1st likes this.
  2. Only one reason not to: It's an enabler.

3. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I guess I should look into this. Does that mean the portion of my collection purchased with this is essentially registered with feds? I assume it does.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

AFAIK you are the one that needs to keep the records of sales and purchases and trades as you’re now a “collector”.
    You’ll have to hand over the records for inspection if you ever get the ATF at your door.

undeRGRound, moona11 and ajole like this.
  5. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I'll keep them safe on "the boat", along with any C&R firearms I might purchase.When they come knocking...I think ya'll know the rest of the story.

Quavodus and xratic like this.
  6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Actually yes. You'll go to jail for it. You agree to the stipulations when you get the license

Rerun likes this.
  7. histed

histed Supporting Member

What are the limitations on a C&R? Years old? Type? I'm guessing one cannot purchase AR 15s with it.

8. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I'd have to read it again but I think the license is for 3 years and the gun has to be on their list of C&R eligible firearms.

Rufus Nathaniel REDD likes this.
  9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

The BATFE can only inspect your C&R Bound Book or records by appointment. It is up to you as to whether you allow them to do so at the address on the license or at the BATFE Office. If you elect to allow the inspection at the BATFE Office, you need to take all the firearms that you have purchased using the license to the office to verify their serial numbers and that you either still have them or have properly recorded their sale. If you elect to allow the inspection at the address on the license, which is where all the firearms need to be housed, you do not have to show them anything that was not purchased using the license.

undeRGRound, Rerun, HPlover and 3 others like this.
  10. FlashBang

Any firearm specifically on the BATFE C&R list, any firearm that qualifies as historically significant or any firearm 50 years old or older. An AR-15 manufactured prior to 1970 would legally be allowed to be purchased with the C&R. NFA items can also be purchased and shipped directly to you, as long as you comply with the additional requirements of the NFA.

undeRGRound, Rerun, SWAGA and 3 others like this.
  11. FlashBang

License duration is 3 years. If you renew you have to provide information on the number you have purchased and the number you have sold during the previous 3 year period. You do NOT have to provide sn's or details, just the number, when/if you renew. If you chose to not renew your license, you can burn or otherwise destroy your Bound Book or records, there is no requirement to send it in. See my other post for information on what you can buy with it.

Rerun, Dubar, SWAGA and 3 others like this.
  12. histed

histed Supporting Member

Thanks, Flash

13. That's not what my renewal says, it states that if I choose not to renew I have to send in my Bound Book.

EDIT: I am WRONG, see below

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    FlashBang likes this.
  14. FlashBang

I can assure you that you do not have to turn in your A&D records if you do not renew your license. This is documented and is applicable under 18 U.S.C. 923(g)(4); 27 CFR 478.127 and has been BATFE reviewed and is still the regulation as of the most current agency compliance review on May 26,2020. If you carefully read the renewal form, you will find very fine print that says C&R Collectors do not have to send in their records.
    You can verify what I am telling you at the following link:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are...heir-ad-records-atf-if-they-discontinue-their

undeRGRound and Rerun like this.
  15. I took a closer look, you are 100% correct: C&R collectors do not have to send in their records. Thanks you for setting me straight.

undeRGRound, Rerun, ichthyo and 2 others like this.
  16. Lovetoshoot

Lovetoshoot Member

I 'unfortunately' 'mistakenly' let mine run out several yrs ago. Mistake! I have got 'several great' deals over the years. Ammo,rifles, pistols,revolvers etc. The deals aren't as good now as they were. But my $30.00 has paid off ten fold!! Now you get the weapon..at a fairly good price compared to store bought. I got holsters,cleaning rods ammo etc. in addition to the price now. The deals are NOT what they used to be. I'm too old to start over again,but check out prices etc. and see if it suits your bill.

Dubar likes this.
  17. You never sent in the renewal?

18. Lovetoshoot

Lovetoshoot Member

Nah...too much BS at this point for me. I made out good!

19. DIRSUPop

DIRSUPop Member

Just mailed my C&R application - funny thing though...the ATF office that processes them is in Portland OR ....(hope it wasn't the office the dirtbags were attacking.....) ..anyway to answer your question, anything OLDER than 1968 qualifies for C&R, so if you can score an original military issue AR built and issued before 1968 it'll qualify.....

20. FlashBang

An AR-15 manufactured in 1970 or earlier meets the C&R designation. This is per 27 CFR § 478.11 that states any firearm 50 years old or older is C&R. Last I looked, 2020 - 50 = 1970
    :D

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

Rerun and OldOutlaw like this.