Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though of the idea to make a thread on tools any one into milsurp firearms or any firearms should have

1. bronze cleaning brushes in various calibers
2. good quality screwdrivers
3. brass punches
4. brass or similar non marring hammer
5. hockey pucks for blocks
6. Oils and solvents
7. bore light
8. caliper
9. tape measure

just a few add to the list any you can think of

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
10. go/no-go guages for calibers you are interested in
11. C&R 03 license
12. Understanding spouse :D

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
To add some of my essentials:

#0000 and #000 Steel wool
#0000 Bronze wool
Q-tips
Lighted magnifying glass
Shop rags
Hoppe's #9
Ed's Red Mix
Gun vise or at least a gun stand
Rubber Mat
Magnet
Wooden and Bronze dowels, about 3ft long
A quality set of picks
Needle nose pliers
Good quality synthetic and bronze scrub brushes
Lot's of denatured alcohol and mineral spirits
synthetic gloves-non sterile surgical gloves will do

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
One should also have

BLO
Wax for hand rubbing finish
a good cold blue for touch ups

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Notepad to make notes of various special proofs and markings while rifle is dissasembled
patience
black trash bags, paper towels and the dash of a car on a hot day to soak out cosmoline
I like to add small hang tags (1inch square with a string) to the trigger guard to list details for quick reference
cheap dollar store tooth brushes for initial cleaning
harbor freight table top parts washer
something cold to drink
cheap gladware type conatiners for small parts while dissasembled
big pieces of cardboard to aid in cleanup
radio

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
After all these posts I didn't see anyone mention dental hygienists tools, hahah, don't ask... anyways have a set in my cleaning kit, they work wonders for getting the deposits in tiny areas. My friends always give me grief about it, which is why I had to post this, but I have yet to find anything that works as good! Specially when trying to get the cosmoline out of the smaller areas.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
After all these posts I didn't see anyone mention dental hygienists tools, hahah, don't ask... anyways have a set in my cleaning kit, they work wonders for getting the deposits in tiny areas. My friends always give me grief about it, which is why I had to post this, but I have yet to find anything that works as good! Specially when trying to get the cosmoline out of the smaller areas.
See the 4th post by Krippp..you'll note he included "a quality set of picks" I would assume thats what you mean by dental tools?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Honestly I've never heard of anyone using them.. actual dentist hygienist tools, however a few mins ago I was browsing around on ebay and seen someone selling a kit which included a set similar to the set I have... kinda funny.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would like to add extra fluffy pipe cleaners to the list. Not only do they get in tight areas they will actually grab the cosmo and wipe the part at the same time. They are especially great for stuff like the firing pin channels etc.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Time, time and more time. I have an "armory" (just a room devoted to my firearms) in my shop so i can leave things disassembled if i need to. Which reminds me... back to the old Savage .22.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
srtolly1 - My stuff is all over the family room floor right now.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
....and we should all have a 10 x 16 foot shed \ garage \ spare room [well ventilated] where we can keep our guns, ammo, twenty gallons of Ed's Red; 100 pounds of tools; a small fridge full of, um, liquid refreshment; TV or radio for sports and news up-dates; drill press, bench-grinder, anvil, vise, dog, comfy chair, um.....what was I talkin bout?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts