Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, sorry if this has been brought up before, I tried to do a search but wasn't sure what to search for.

In a nutshell: I've noticed my C9 shooting pretty wild. It'll hold within a human-sized target area, but it's not shooting tightly at all. I don't think it's my shooting entirely because I rented a Kimber 1911 in 45 from the range recently and was able to get some decent groups with it despite the bigger caliber and unfamiliar gun.

I recently noticed that the bullets seem to be scraping off on the barrel of the gun, and when I recovered one of the bullets I shot it had black stripes on it. The barrel has copper stripes in it, presumably from the copper on the bullet.

Does this sound like something that would affect accuracy, or has anybody had this/is it normal and I'm just not good with the gun yet?

G

·
I'm not quite sure what you're saying? But I think you're saying the barrel rifleing is copper fouled? If so that will definitely effect the accuracy! Get yourself a good brush and some copper fouling remover and scrub the barrel down. Then clean it like normal. :)

G

·
I always clean my barrel after everytime I shoot it. That is just me because I believe in keeping one clean to help keep it dependable. It sounds like you are saying your barrel is shot out. Which would mean many thousands of rounds have been fired through it. Get a good copper fouling remover and a good quality cleaning kit. Clean the barrel very well. Then try taking to the range again. But I would clean the barrel after every time shooting it and lightly oil it. This will keep it shooting much better and will improve your groups.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
What's happening there is as the bullet passes down the barrel some of the copper jacket gets left behind and some of the black finish inside the barrel is being left on the jacket of the bullet. This is normal. Just make sure you clean your weapon after using it and it will be fine.

·
Registered
922 Posts
What ammo are you using?? And how old is it??? I use Remington UMC without a hitch. Thats the only way i can think of to get that kind of problem is bad ammo.
L1

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What ammo are you using?? And how old is it??? I use Remington UMC without a hitch. Thats the only way i can think of to get that kind of problem is bad ammo.
L1
I use Blazer Brass, cheap ammo but it's worked OK in all the other guns I've used (38 special and 45 ACP). I could also get WWB but it is a few dollars more expensive per 100 and I like being cheap so I can shoot more.

I have yet to give my gun a very thorough cleaning, but I'm also pretty sure I've had less than 1,000 rounds through the gun. It's possible I've just lost count though, I like to shoot my C9. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been lurking this forum a bit and it seems to be a really great community. Plus one for Hi-Points!

G

·
Definetly clean the bore at minimum after every range session! I clean my guns completely after every range session personally! Some think it's over kill but I think it's just part of safety. ;-) I also clean my carry gun every weekend even when I don't shoot it. It gets sweaty and lint and dirt get built up so better safe than sorry I figure?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I always clean my barrel after every time I shoot it.
I clean my gun every time I take a bath. Once a year whether I need it or not! :lol:

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
should i completely take mine apart or just clean the barrel and keep it oiled. i really need some advice on this.
Use an aerosol cleaner, bore brush, follow that up with patches until clean patch goes in-clean patch comes out, then lightly lightly lightly lightly lightly oil the barrel/chamber. If you want to, you can lock the slide back and put a drop of oil in the "lock pin" groove in the bottom of the slide. Not too much either.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clearly the answer is that I just need to spend more quality time with my gun... right? :D

One thing did occur to me though... is there any test I should attempt to see if the barrel is too tight? Should the head of a FMJ 9mm round fit completely in up to the brass?

I really appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Clearly the answer is that I just need to spend more quality time with my gun... right? :D

One thing did occur to me though... is there any test I should attempt to see if the barrel is too tight? Should the head of a FMJ 9mm round fit completely in up to the brass?

I really appreciate all your help!
The round should fit in all the way to battery (slide all the way closed and ready to fire). Anything less could be trouble.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey all,
Did I miss something here? Did the gun shoot straight from the factory or did it just start screwing up. My .45 shot crazy from the factory and they replaced the barrel and all has been good for many 100's of rounds since. The best of tree's can produce a bad apple.
John

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey John H, what was the problem with your barrel, did they say?

My C9 has never been accurate better than a chest-sized area but I always attributed it to my lack of experience. I'll have to do some more tests and try to get it sighted better, but if it keeps going wide I may contact HP.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I use Blazer Brass, cheap ammo but it's worked OK in all the other guns I've used (38 special and 45 ACP). I could also get WWB but it is a few dollars more expensive per 100 and I like being cheap so I can shoot more.
I can see your point with the cheap ammo/more range time, but sometimes, that's a dangerous policy.

Is your C9 just a range toy? if so, then that's perfectly fine.

I started out buying WWB because everyone here had good words about it. I normally use the hollow point rounds, but have fired many, many of the FMJ rounds through it as well, all without a hitch.

I personally can't have a hitch with it, as it's my carry gun. you stop counting the price of ammo when you're life is on the line.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can see your point with the cheap ammo/more range time, but sometimes, that's a dangerous policy.

Is your C9 just a range toy? if so, then that's perfectly fine.

I started out buying WWB because everyone here had good words about it. I normally use the hollow point rounds, but have fired many, many of the FMJ rounds through it as well, all without a hitch.

I personally can't have a hitch with it, as it's my carry gun. you stop counting the price of ammo when you're life is on the line.
I definitely understand that. In fact, I absolutely agree that you should find the most reliable ammo for your gun and keep it at hand for carry or home defense.

But the C9 is not a carry gun for me, it's too big and I haven't got a permit or a suitable holster yet anyway. I think I'm going to wind up getting an SR9 or another lighter/higher capacity gun for carry.

That said, I've had better luck with Blazer in my C9 than with WWB... all FMJ so far, but I intend to start experimenting with hollow points now that my gun has been broken in and I've mostly ironed out the mag feed issues. I love my C9 and will almost undoubtedly buy HP again, but it's these little issues that are pushing me towards owning another gun so that I can have a backup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts