Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Delete postReport this postEdit postReply with quote

I have three types of self defense rounds and I read that I must fire 200 rounds through my gun to be sure it will work. At ~$25 per 20 rounds, that isnt going to happen. So I bought some of these:

Winchester 9mm Luger 147 Grain SXT $21.99 per 20 (local Store)
Federal Premium Low Recoil 9mm Luger 135 Grain HyrdaShok $24.99 per 20 (local Store)
Hornady 9mm Luger Critical Defense 115 Grain TFX $23.99 per 25 (local Store)

I was wondering if any of you have used this ammo in your c9 ( or 995 for that matter) and could give me some feedback on what you thought on feeding issues and accuracy.

I would love to get 50-100 rounds of Winchester JHP, GanderMtn had 50 for $59....ouch! I would just like to try and few rounds and not go broke...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have fired(successfully) the Hornady Critical Defense and the Winchester 124 GR. BEB through my C( and each works well. I personally choose Hornady after using it in three other hand guns, my AMT .380, my Smith & Wesson .38, and my NAA .22 mag revolver. I can't speak highly enough. All we want is proper feed and end result upon firing!

Good luck and keep us posted........

DH

·
Registered
665 Posts
Th experts on here can say more than I can. But I don't see the need of firing the expensive ammo to get through the break-in period for the C9. I have fired WWB, Blazer Brass, American Eagle (Federal), my reloads, Remington UMC, through my C9 all without a hitch. I would suggest, and other may correct me if I'm wrong, but why not use these brands through the break-in period and then give the ammo of choice a go. 100 WWB go for under $20 at Wal*Mart, and Blazer Brass goes for $8.97 per 50.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
use cheap bulk ammo for break in until the gun runs well. themn shoot at least a box of each of your preferred SD loads to verify feed and function. no need to burn up expensive stuff during break in.

SW

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah, inexpensive FMJ ammo until you've broken in the pistol, then enough self-defense loads that you're comfortable with the reliability, and you're good to go.

-Sifrid

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am sorry, I didn't realize you were asking a "break in" question, but I must agree with everyone else, don't burn thru the expensive stuff during break in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I guess I didn't state that right. I have already fired ~75 rounds (handloads from friend) in my C9, I will shoot 100+ of *cheap*stuff, then just fire 2 or 3 of the good stuff to verify function.

I sure wish I could get wwb or blazer at my WW..... :cantlook:

I was just inquiring about others who have fired some of the good stuff through it and what their impression was....

Thanks for all the input guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts