Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.

New to the board, so I may be resurrecting a dead topic. I have read that the manufacturer does not recommend carrying the C9 with a round chambered and the safety on. Other than liability, is there a reason for this?

BTW, just went to Arizona Firearms & Collectibles. Drove past it many times but never went in. What a great place! Good folks run the shop and they were very helpful in picking out a good holster for my C9. I'll be back in a couple of weeks for the .45.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Haha! I'm a "plinker." Guess I'll just sashay my 270 pound self back out to finish the yard-work.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i am by far a pro with these guns but from what i do know...there is no hammer on these. it cannot be "uncocked". its risky to say the least when carrying with one in the chamber. just one mans opinion, of course. whatever you decide, please be careful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would never carry a striker fired handgun with one in the chamber. There are many who would, and do, but not me. I prefer handguns with a decocker safety for one in the chamber.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
I carry only pistols with hammers. They are single-action, carried chamber loaded cocked-and-locked --Condition 1--(1911, though I believe JMB intended Condition 0) or double action only. If I should find myself carrying one of my striker-fired pistols, the chamber would be empty.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
When I carry my C9 it has a round in the chamber, safety on.
This is, indeed, a recurring theme, and while opinions are divided, I agree with Nowonmai. In a striker-fired weapon, the safety ostensibly blocks the sear from descending, but if the sear or the rim on the firing pin is a bit misshapen, due to wear or uneven manufacturing tolerances, it can release without the sear being pulled down.

Is this likely? Probably new or well-maintained striker-fired pistols won't discharge under these circumstances, but it's a question of "How lucky do you feel?" Many swear that they're comfortable with one in the pipe with strikers, but other mechanisms offer a greater degree of safety.

Rightly, to each his own, but I wouldn't be comfortable carrying the way you do. You are, so good luck and carry on.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Alot of folks will say that they've been carrying striker pistols hot for years with no issues. I say it's all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Once that hunk'o lead starts its journey, there's no way to call it back or tell it to be quiet.
Hell, I don't carry my 1911 hot either, I tested carrying condition 1 (round chambered, hammer back, safety on) with a snapcap loaded. By the end of the day, my safety was off due to my excessive lovehandles and I'm sure that I depressed the grip safety a few times. At those moments all that it needs is a trigger pull.
In any case, whether you experience a negligent discharge, or killing seconds to lock and load as the BG is kickin thru the door, the old adages applies: You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, and hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. The semi-autos that I've carried hot were either 1911s or had a de-cocker. Since I carry inside the pants (usually small of the back, but sometimes in front :shock: ), I think I'll be opting for an empty chamber. The Wife and I want another kid and I'd like to keep my butt intact.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and I just noticed the original 2 page thread on this very topic. Please change my tagline from "plinker" to "big dummy."

G

·
I carry my C9 not chambered but I ride a bike so I usually carry my Kimber so I can carry Condition 2 round chambered hammer down, as many have striker falls it gets nasty especially with Hydrashocks.

G

·
I used to carry hot all the time. Then one day I had to unload a striker weapon. I looked at the round that was in the pipe. There was a noticeable dimple in the primer. Since then I keep the pipe open.

G

·
I used to carry hot all the time. Then one day I had to unload a striker weapon. I looked at the round that was in the pipe. There was a noticeable dimple in the primer. Since then I keep the pipe open.
Just wondering. Did that cause your sphincter to pucker just a little? :shock: It would mine!

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I carry only pistols with hammers. They are single-action, carried chamber loaded cocked-and-locked --Condition 1--(1911, though I believe JMB intended Condition 0) or double action only. If I should find myself carrying one of my striker-fired pistols, the chamber would be empty.
+1, I can't agree more! if you want to carry ready to rock, go cocked and locked! :twisted:

·
Registered
514 Posts
i just noticed that a poster pointed out that some glocks are
"striker fired". while i hate to pander to glock, if they make a pistol
like this then the basic design must be safe to handle? i have never owned a glock, so personally i don't know either way.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts