Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a C9 and fixed the FTF problem by adjusting the feed lips and only loading 5 rounds... (I've got about 325 rounds through the gun)

It really shoots reliably now, thanks to implementing the advise from the folks on this forum...

Now I've had my magazine loaded full for about a week and was going to keep it that way for about 3 weeks, to see if I could move up from five rounds in the magazine to six, seven or eight

However at the following link -> http://www.geocities.com/firearmoverload/fireoverhp.htm

it states under "Magazine Tuning" ...

"New mags will cause the round to nosedive due to spring tension. I remove the bottom of the mag, remove spring and cut/clip off a spring link. This will help with the spring tension."

which leaves me the question ?? , which is better

a) load the magazine for three weeks

or

b) cut/clip off a spring link from the magazine spring

your feedback/opinions appreciated

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought about this too Paul. I would be afraid that after several years ,it might get too week and not feed the last rounds correctly.
Even though loading the last rounds are tight on some of my mags,they seem to feed OK. Every once in awhile,I have to slap the back of the slide,of the first round.Then after that it feeds fine.

Rich

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wouldn't alter the spring at all. Mine were very tight at first but they gradually relaxed and are now a lot easier to load and I don't have any ftf's. If you trim it they may fail later due to low tension.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hmm...You can't re-clip the spring when it doesn't feed correctly ever again. That would be a drastic modification. Be patient. Everyone is looking for the quick fix lately and no one wants to listen to the advice of the people on this forum, or Hi-Point themselves, who have been doing this since the first Hi-Point firearm ever came of the assembly line.

In 6 months we're going o be hearing you complain about how your Hi-Point mag no longer feeds correctly and you can't figure out why Hi-Point can't correct this problem at the factory. Completely forgetting that you modified it yourself. Then you'll send it in to Hi-Point for a replacement, committing fraud by any other company's standards, to fix a problem that you caused in the first place.

That is the worst advice I've ever heard when it comes to trying to fix a problem that can be remedied with some patience and common sense.

Don't Clip The Spring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HP Cobra Rich

I thought about this but thought it might be based on how you use the gun. If the magazine is normally unloaded and you only load it when you go to the range or plinking, then clipping the link might work and not weaken the spring over the long term.

However, in the scenerio that you normally keep the mag loaded, for whatever reason such as daily carry or at home for protection, then I could see the spring weakening over time to much if you cut a link out of the spring.

If keeping it loaded for three weeks will allow me load all 8 rounds than I just need to be patient.

I normally keep my gun/magazine unloaded and loacked in a gun case. If the 3 week period does not work, I might consider clipping a link off the spring.

I'd love to hear from folks who have done it clipping mag spring vs those who have kept magazine loaded two or three weeks etc...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this seems to be solid advise...

per Broomhead & HP Cobra Rich, I will keep the mag loaded for three weeks or longer if needed, and put the thought of clipping a spring link out of my head (at least for now).

·
Registered
258 Posts
The ones that aren't on me or in my nightstand box are also locked up with the mags out but loaded.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Everyone of my mags are loaded, even the ones that are reserved for the range. The range mags are locked up with my ammo, while my backup mag sits on my side table (I sleep on the couch). The only time I unload any of them is to switch ammo for the range, or shoot the ammo out of them.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Well,

Every pistol I have ever owned, the mags are always loaded, even when in the safe..

When in the Military, we kept them loaded all the time as well..

Dp

·
Registered
222 Posts
My mags are always loaded even if they are being locked away and stored as if common with my AK. After break-in I don't seem to have that much problem usually. I had a little .25 that was a great reliable gun, for the first five shots. Too bad it was a seven shot and the sixth was hit just enough to jam the slide but not feed. Forget the seventh shot it was to throw at the BG. The previous owner had clipped the spring for the same problem. Thus stated, I would never clip my mag springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.