C9 decision time

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by hoodcanaldr, Oct 8, 2015.

1. hoodcanaldr

hoodcanaldr Member

Local vendor has C9 @ $140, Taurus PT111 Millennium Gen2 w/ 1 mag @ $200 after $50 rebate. Hickok video revealed nothing significantly new to me except for difficulty racking slide but that's not insignificant. So I'm looking for advice and feedback.

Is racking the C9 slide as problematic as Hickok made it out to be?

And your thoughts on which gun to buy and why, please? For context, I have the H-P 995ts carbine, a 12 gauge Mossberg, a Phoenix 22 w/ long and short barrels and two 22 Marlin rifles.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Well, the C9 was my first handgun, so I don't have a real comparison as far as racking the slide. But I don't find it difficult by any means. And I am not a burly strong guy. Maybe it is harder than other semi-autos? But I have never had a problem. Maybe becuase I read about them before I bought one, so I know you had to rack it like you mean business, so I just never noticed?

I haven't shot the Taurus. I have read about it and it appears to be a good gun. It is pretty well liked around here, too.

I love my C9. But after 2 1/2 years, I have learned to realize that there are "better" guns. Yes, they cost more. But sometimes more is worth it. It's all relative of course.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

Once you break it in, after a few times it becomes much easier to rack, unless your a 100 year old man or a 6 year old girl however, the C9 is really not difficult to rack.

Id still pick the taurus for anything other than range use or a nightstand/truck gun.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

No more so than any other Simple Blowback firearm.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. tone

tone Member

I have a JCP and the Taurus. The Taurus is a much higher feature pistol.

But I would recommend spending another $100 and getting a PPX/SD9ve/9E and get a quality 9mm. They are sooo much better

6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

The only reason I would suggest the C9 over the Taurus is your carbine mags interchange with the C9. Other than that get the Taurus 1st & then come back & get the C-9 or as that OLD guy on the video suggest, pick up a used C9 for $100?
    Oh, DON'T worry about having problems racking the slide until you are as OLD that old guy on the video? That looked so lame & faking, my wife could do a better job than he did!!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  7. As to racking the slide Hickok was being a Richard head, I use to like him, but my review of him is not good just for that one act.

I suggest actually racking the slide of one at your LGS, and try some of the other guns. You might find it easier than the micro 9mm. Not saying it is not stiff at first, but if you rack it the proper way it should not be a problem at all.

8. It comes down to what you are using it for, home protection, vehicle gun, personal carry or target shooting. I have a C9 & JHP 45, working the slide on a new gun can be a little difficult if you don't grip it tightly. The recoil spring in the C9 is stiff but will loosen with use. Overall it's a damn good gun for the price, shoots any ammo you feed it unlike some high priced name brands.

9. hoodcanaldr

hoodcanaldr Member

MachoMelvin said:

Don't know what age Hickok is but I'm 70.

10. One thing that everybody should do is sling shot instead of rack. I would have to go back to the video to see if he is sling shot the slide or he is racking. Over hand sling shot is much more effective than racking. Basically pull back the slide overhand while pushing the frame forward, two actions instead of one, then let go. That is the proper way to load a round in any semi auto, not doing it results sometimes in a nose dive, on any semi auto.

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Good point wolf.

12. hoodcanaldr

hoodcanaldr Member

Walkingwolf said:

Hickok's hand is on top of the slide so I think he's just racking it. If that's the cause of the ftl on the video, I can only conclude he's doing it deliberately to make the point he wants to make.

That eases my concern about the C9. Like Tallbull, I "think I finally decided" but I'm leaning the other way. I don't intend to carry concealed, if I carry at all it would be on my hip. For me it's about range shooting, home defense, having a bug out gun just in case and good customer service if I need it. The Taurus is a "better" gun, but from what I've read, customer service is often disappointing.

At this point, my only reservation is that I haven't found a local source that stocks the C9. I can order one on line but I need/want to handle one before I buy.

Thanks again to those who responded. Your replies helped to focus my thinking.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

A Hi Point handgun, particularly when paired with a Hi Point carbine, meets those criteria quite well.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. tone

tone Member

I would not buy a C9 for home defense unless that is all you can afford. It is not reliable enough imo. Same goes for bug out gun. It's huge, heavy, only 8rds, and not that reliable. But it's better than no gun.

I still say get a PPX for $279 and have a really good gun. I have one and it seems just as high quality as my glock or xd.

15. Hippie68

Hippie68 Member

Took my 11yr old grandson to the range and he's not a big kid so I was worried about him being able to rack the slide and he had no problem. In fact after he shot all of my handguns (10 in all) the C9 was his favorite.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I think you kinda missed some of the commentary. Yes, it's true that the C9 has more reported issues than other HP handguns. However, that doesn't mean that they're "unreliable" in general. Maybe your or mine is, but that doesn't matter. What matters is if the one he's using is reliable.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. The C9 has a better reputation than Kimber compacts.

Break the C9 in, polish the ramp if using HP ammo. I use 9mm match hollow point in a CF 380 without a polished ramp with perfect reliability. Match HP's do not expand, but they do have more metplat than a FMJ. Being 9mm they are heavier than the what is normally a 380 bullet, they are only slightly shorter than a 9mm OAL. Not one feeding problem.

The HP is not a high end handgun, it was never intended to be, or pretty, or high capacity. It was not really designed to be CC gun. What it was designed for it does extremely well. Want a high end gun? Buy a Sig, or a FN, or even a custom 5 grand 1911, but bring your wallet, or your banker.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

The C9 is the worst gun out of the HiPoint stable.
    Most of the gun reliability issues on this forum are about the C9
    JHP the least as well as the carbines.
    Read the HiPoint pistol sub forum.

19. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Exactly. My S.O. is 5 ft. nothing, about 105 lbs., with tiny hands and can rack the slide on anything we have. It's all about technique, not strength.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/

To me, it looked like Hickok was doing it half right.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  20. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

To be fair, I bet the C9 is also the most common one as well.

I'd venture to guess that Hi Point sees more C9s then any other caliber.

Percentage wise, is it the most problematic? Or, do they just sell more and because of that, we hear more about them?