Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My C9 worked fine out of the box except it had the common issue where you had to force the first round into the chamber with the slide and then all good from there... Not a big deal.

I tried lightly sanding and polishing the feed ramp to fix this issue. With all the mags I have, including modified and unmodified ones, if I cycle the C9, a round will get stuck in the chamber, like actually stuck where I have to poke it out from the front of the barrel.

See pictures. I have no idea what's going on. I am going to contact Hi Point next week when they re-open but would love to hear how I can fix this.

And no, sanding and polishing did not fix the original issue I was having, nor did tuning mag lips. From what I've read, not even Hi Point itself can reliably fix this issue when you send your C9 in. But I'd gladly go back to having this issue where I never had a failure to cycle or eject.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
If it will not feed the first cartridge when you manually rack one into the chamber but then will feed the following cartridges fine, the problem might be that you are being too nice to the gun. Rack the slide as far back as you can then let go of the slide and let it slam home. I've seen this problem before.

The extraction issue sounds like a problem with the extractor claw. Probably the claw itself is not machined right, chipped, worn, or something. Might also be a problem with the extractor claws spring being too weak/broken/whatever. Yes, there might also be a burr or something inside the chamber which is causing it to stick hard enough that the extractor claw slips off of the extractor groove on the case. Feel around inside the chamber, maybe clean it extra well. Maybe try different ammo too. It's rare, but sometimes you get a batch of ammo that just won't run in your gun.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rerun and moona11

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If it will not feed the first cartridge when you manually rack one into the chamber but then will feed the following cartridges fine, the problem might be that you are being too nice to the gun. Rack the slide as far back as you can then let go of the slide and let it slam home. I've seen this problem before.

The extraction issue sounds like a problem with the extractor claw. Probably the claw itself is not machined right, chipped, worn, or something. Might also be a problem with the extractor claws spring being too weak/broken/whatever. Yes, there might also be a burr or something inside the chamber which is causing it to stick hard enough that the extractor claw slips off of the extractor groove on the case. Feel around inside the chamber, maybe clean it extra well. Maybe try different ammo too. It's rare, but sometimes you get a batch of ammo that just won't run in your gun.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
There is no issue I can observe with the claw or its spring. It used to work and shows no signs of wear.

I have already scrubbed the chamber and observed it, no burrs.

As for ammo, this is the same ammo that I've used with this gun before. No failure to eject/extract until now.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
If the ammo is so stuck in the chamber all of a sudden. Its either the ammo or the chamber is dirty or has an obstruction. You messed with ramps so its more likely to have something in there. Sand paper, polishing cream, cotton what ever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If the ammo is so stuck in the chamber all of a sudden. Its either the ammo or the chamber is dirty or has an obstruction. You messed with ramps so its more likely to have something in there. Sand paper, polishing cream, cotton what ever.
This didn't fix it. It's as clear and smooth as can be in there. Hi Point is sending me a new firing pin with springs as a first step.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
This didn't fix it. It's as clear and smooth as can be in there. Hi Point is sending me a new firing pin with strings as a first step.
A string huh? Take pics, I wanna see how that works.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Just send the pistol in to them. That would be the rout I would take.

·
I Stand With Talon
6,511 Posts
Put only 1 round in the magazine, insert the magazine, and rack the slide. Don't ride the slide forward, just pull it back and let it go. With the weapon pointed in a safe direction and your finger off the trigger, rack the slide forcefully. If the round extracts it is not the extractor. Looking at the picture you posted, it appears that the next round is riding high against the chambered round and stopping it from extracting. My guess is that the issue is with either how you are manually racking the slide and/or the magazine lips allowing the next round to ride high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put only 1 round in the magazine, insert the magazine, and rack the slide. Don't ride the slide forward, just pull it back and let it go. With the weapon pointed in a safe direction and your finger off the trigger, rack the slide forcefully. If the round extracts it is not the extractor. Looking at the picture you posted, it appears that the next round is riding high against the chambered round and stopping it from extracting. My guess is that the issue is with either how you are manually racking the slide and/or the magazine lips allowing the next round to ride high.
I'm just going to try to send it in because the replacement parts they sent (firing pin, springs) didn't fix it, but that wasn't surprising. I'm guessing whatever small bit of sanding and polishing I did messed with the ramp enough to affect feeding.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I would advise readers against doing any kind of C9 mods if your only issue is that the first round requires a little more elbow grease to rack. You probably won't fix it and you may make it worse!

·
Administrator
24,570 Posts
I'm just going to try to send it in because the replacement parts they sent (firing pin, springs) didn't fix it, but that wasn't surprising. I'm guessing whatever small bit of sanding and polishing I did messed with the ramp enough to affect feeding.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I would advise readers against doing any kind of C9 mods if your only issue is that the first round requires a little more elbow grease to rack. You probably won't fix it and you may make it worse!
We could have told you that if you had come here first. We've dealt with hundreds of noobs who decided they knew better and thought YouTube was God.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts