C9 magazine without finger extension?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by frioman, Oct 14, 2014.

1. frioman

frioman Member

Do you know if Hi-Point offers an OEM magazine for the C9 without the finger extension, or is there a way to change the base with maybe a .380? Thanks for any help on this. I saw this photo of a C9 for sale listed on Gander Mountain's web site. This is the magazine base I prefer -- flush bottom with no finger extension.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    You do realize there's no magazine in that C-9, right? A 9mm carbine base on a 8 rounder might do it. Never tried it.

3. frioman

frioman Member

Cicpup, thank you...embarrassingly I didn't notice that. I'm new to Hi-Point (no excuse)...but I'd still like to have a magazine without that extension protruding out.

4. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Why not just dremel off the plastic extension?

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

'Cause there won't be anything holding the magazine spring in place.
    The 'battery pack' is the mag floor plate and it adds one more round.

6. superbeast1098

superbeast1098 Member

Look for a magazine for an old model C.... Those have the flat bottom, but they dont have the tab for the LRHO though....

Left to right, C9 10 round mag, new style C9 8 round mag, and then the old style Model C mag

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  7. panoz77

panoz77 Member

The 8 round C9 mag does not have the "battery pack", there is a plastic finger extension that can easily be ground off.

Using my electronic dremel, before and after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. frioman

frioman Member

Panoz77, thanks for posting before and after photos. I may try that.

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

:p Yeah, Silly Swagzy!!! :p

10. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I just checked, & I have a 8rd mag without a pinky grip? I think it came in one of those 4 gun GB bids?

Attached Files:

11. panoz77

panoz77 Member

FYI, you probably don't have to remove much material at all. Check the fit and just use your judgement on what you want to remove. From the looks of the older style mags, you really only have to remove the front downward curve of the extension.

I don't have any old 8 rounders left, traded them all off for 10 rounders.

12. Couldn't you swap in the base of a 995 mag onto the 8 round C9 mag?

13. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Then you have a 995 mag that has a finger extension. :confused:

14. frioman

frioman Member

I used a grinding wheel that was mounted to the work bench. Very easy and accurate. I chose to stop at this point. I could have removed more; however, I was concerned about the strength of the plastic base if I continued to remove even more. I'm pleased with the results. Again, very easy with a mounted grinding wheel.
    [​IMG]

15. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

For 10 4ounders 995 magazines work in the C9, though you'll have a bit of bare magazine sticking out, it'll be less bulky than the handgun magazine's "battery pack." The only difference between the magazines is the floorplate.

The floor plate from the 995 magazines is swappable with the floor plate from the C9 8 round magazines. Since the 995 mags don't have the pinky extension, you could swap those. They fit flush with the grip of the C9. That would mean you'd have a pinky extension on your 995 mag, but since the 995 has a longer grip, the extension wouldn't really be touching your hand the way it would on a C9.

You can of course file down or cut off the extension easily enough since it serves no purpose to the function of the magazine, and is only there to improve grip.

You could also call Hi-Point and see if you can just get a 995 magazine floor plate. Perhaps they would sell you one, or if you have a 995, you could claim that you lost your old floor plate while giving the magazine a thorough cleaning.

Is anyone here doing 3D printing or resin casting? The floor plate could possibly be replicated as well. Personally I'd like one myself as I've been wanting to convert a C9 mag into a 995 mag. This could also open up some options in other colors as well.

16. frioman

frioman Member

VinnieD, thanks for the suggestions. I too would be interested in base plate options. I'm especially interested in replacement grips, not simply flexible wraps that stretch around the existing grips.

17. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I just recently met a Mechanical Engineer who does CAD design, uses a 3-D modeling program with a camera, and owns a 3-D ABS printer.

I hope he's onboard with my project(s). OMG what a find!

18. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Well thats this weekends project right there!

19. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    True, but it doesn't look too bad.

Attached Files: