Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired my C9 for the first time today and out of eight clips, I had 3 misfeeds. Each time the misfeeds were the same; the second to the last bullet would miss the chamber and end up jammed diagonally across the action (bullet pointed to the upper left corner, primer pointed toward the lower right corner) is this a common problem? What can I do to prevent this from happening?

I was using some inexpensive 9mm FMJ purchased at the range. We shot the ammo in my father's Glock and it fed fine.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. Put about 300 through it, then let's talk. Keep the mags loaded when not shooting too. These puppies need break and you're just getting started!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree to leave the clip full - heck what good is a gun if its not loaded anyway.

Purchase another clip just to rule out that your clip is faulty, try to shoot only FMJ for the first 100 rounds or so.
After a few hundred rounds if you still have the same problem send the faulty clip back to highpoint. Also see some of the post that deal with trouble shooting the C9.

Keep shooting it - it will only get better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I am not quite satisfied with what I have found. I have put 150 more bullets through it now and the problem still comes up. I have found a partial solution; If I hold the gun real tight. Tighter than I have ever held a handgun before. It does not misfeed. This is not a real solution for two reasons;

1) As my father said, "Are you going to remember to do that if there is an intruder?" I know that if I practice enough it may become second nature, but I learned to shoot on a Glock and a 1911, neither requires more than a moderately firm/steady grip. The excessive firmness seems like an unnecessary requirement.

2) The C9 was supposed to be a home defense weapon for both myself and my girlfriend. She is no weakling and she can readily rack a round or lock the chamber open, but she does not have the hand strength to do that for more than a few shots even if she does remember to.

So I come asking again, what should I do? I want this gun to work for us but I am frustrated after hearing so many good stories that I have to be one of the people to get a lemon.

PS: yes, I have stored the magazine with bullets in it to loosen up the spring.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I am going to reiterate the "keep the mags loaded" comment. 6 months ago, my C9 would jam/misfeed EVERY SINGLE MAG. Yesterday, I put 12 magazines through it without a single mishap. The only difference between yesterday and 6 months ago is that the magazines have been loaded and sitting in a drawer for 6 months.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have you checked the lips on the mag yet .. If they are too tight the last two rounds will do this .. When the mag is full there is more spring pressure to push the bullet past .. However the last two rounds the spring may not have enough push to get it past the guide lips ..

·
Banned
401 Posts
Blowback designed pistols require a firm grip as you have found out, it is the inherent nature of the cycle system in these weapons.

Dp

·
Registered
638 Posts
My original magazine was faulty, and I had to send it back for replacement. The follower would pass the slide lock after every last round fired making to slide fail to lock. Sometimes you just get things that for some reason do not work. I doubt that it is your gun that has a problem.  Check the mag over real good.  Maybe unconsciously you are limp wristing it there at the end. Does it only happen at rapid fire or not?  Nice thing is whatever is wrong with it... it can be fixed for free .99!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I have also been told to move the slide all the way back and leave it locked there for a couple of weeks to help break in the slide/recoil spring. Same principle as with the mags.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I am not quite satisfied with what I have found. I have put 150 more bullets through it now and the problem still comes up. I have found a partial solution; If I hold the gun real tight. Tighter than I have ever held a handgun before. It does not misfeed. This is not a real solution for two reasons;

1) As my father said, "Are you going to remember to do that if there is an intruder?" I know that if I practice enough it may become second nature, but I learned to shoot on a Glock and a 1911, neither requires more than a moderately firm/steady grip. The excessive firmness seems like an unnecessary requirement.

2) The C9 was supposed to be a home defense weapon for both myself and my girlfriend. She is no weakling and she can readily rack a round or lock the chamber open, but she does not have the hand strength to do that for more than a few shots even if she does remember to.

So I come asking again, what should I do? I want this gun to work for us but I am frustrated after hearing so many good stories that I have to be one of the people to get a lemon.

PS: yes, I have stored the magazine with bullets in it to loosen up the spring.
A jam on the second to last round will NEVER have anything to do with the magazine. Slide spring too tense possibly. Slide friction maybe. Shooting fatique / limp wrist probably. But magazine - NO. First round jams can be too much tension in the spring, last round can be too little, but second to last is the gun and or user. Since you mention that you have experience shooting, I point to the gun. Particularly the slide to frame friction and the slide spring tension.

If your like me and time is less valuable then money, rack the slide a few hundred times to polish the inside of the slide and fatigue the spring a little. Otherwise pawn it (as you'll see all over this forum, used HPs sell for just as much as new ones do), and save up for one of the guns you are used to using. HP uses a powder coat on the entire slide. The friction from the rough surface doesn't help an already limp wrist sensitive gun. I don't have any problems with my C-9 and since my wife has been to the range a few times, she has no problems with hers either. But if something about your gun requires too firm a grip, glocks/XPs/ and S&W have polymer framed guns with lighter slides, and much less sensitivity. If you can't trust your gun work with it until you do or find another more suited to your habits. As an example, as fine a gun as glocks are, I'd never carry one because the trigger reach doesn't fit my hand. So I look elsewhere. I'm saving up for a XD or M&P in 45. Another thought. HP's are cheap, so your not out much if one doesn't work out for you. But, if you are looking at any of the more expensive counterparts, I'd feed a couple boxes of ammo through a rental before buying one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.