Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range today to shoot my C9 Comp for the second time. I had three (3) new 10 round factory mags to shoot for the first time. I previously put 48 rounds through the C9 the first time using the 8 round factory mag without a problem. I tried to break-in the new mags by loading and unloading them by hand at least 6 times, and leaving 10 rounds in them for several days. I'm using S&B 115gr FMJ rounds which I put through a silicon-impregnated gun sock to "butter' them prior to loading.

I had failure to feed (FTF) with each of the new 10 round mags after 3 to 4 shots. After clearing the jams, I inspected and reloaded the rejected rounds. All rounds then fired correctly.

Is this a normal break-in problem? My other weapons are a 995TS carbine and a Ruger P95 pistol that I recently purchased new and which have performed flawlessly. Is there a problem with seating the 10 round mag? I've also read about Polishing the feed ramp but I don't go for ethnic humor. LOL!

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Load em up, let em sit for about 2 to 3 WEEKS and the try them. Also before putting them in weapon tap on the back of the mags to seat the rounds.

I am beginning to think alot of failures with some folks is they don't tap the back of the mags before loading into the weapon

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Load em up, let em sit for about 2 to 3 WEEKS and the try them. Also before putting them in weapon tap on the back of the mags to seat the rounds.

I am beginning to think alot of failures with some folks is they don't tap the back of the mags before loading into the weapon
+1 on everything.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
we hear this problem here a lot. my 10 rnd mag does the same thing. tweaking the mag lips to make the round nose up should help. some of the guys that have been longer could probably give you more detail, but i think that is the jist of it.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
My 10rnd mags work fine, except the one that came with the pistol with the worn out spring. Even that one still works in slow fire. I've heard several people around here having problems with that S&B ammo, so that might have an impact on it as well, even though it works fine in the 8rnd mags you might want to try some Blazer in the 10rnd one.

I haven't had problems with having to let my mags sit loaded for a while. When I buy em I can load em up and fire without problems, but my 995 and C9 are both very well broke in by now so they may have a higher tolerance for finicky mags.

ShooterZ was right on with the "tap the mag" thing to make sure that the rounds are lined up properly. That's the only problem that I have with my 995 on rare occasions, but generally slapping the back of the mag against my knee or the pistol grip before inserting it into the weapon takes care of that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I know about seating the rounds to the back and have nose up on the first round.

Do I give an extra tap to the back of the 10 rnd mag to seat the rounds in 3-4-5 position? That seems to be the problem.

Working the mag by hand, e.g. loading and unloading the rounds, and loading and unloading the mag spring seems to be a better break-in than letting the mag sit for weeks without any activity. To me break-in means that mech parts should move and groove! You want the rough edges to wear off and the mechanism to wear in.

HOORAH!

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Working the mag by hand, e.g. loading and unloading the rounds, and loading and unloading the mag spring seems to be a better break-in than letting the mag sit for weeks without any activity. To me break-in means that mech parts should move and groove! You want the rough edges to wear off and the mechanism to wear in.

HOORAH!
Hey I'm just relaying to you what we have found out here thru the years BUT if you wish to disregard by all means go for it. Don't ask the questions if you don't want to hear the answer you don't like. I'm done!

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I've also read about Polishing the feed ramp but I don't go for ethnic humor. LOL!
Ethnic Humor? How about just plain common sense You buff the ramp it removes the paint off the ramp to allow the round to slide smoothly it to the chamber.

You claim in an earlier post that you are unfamiliar with weapons but you just basically poo poo what everyone tells you that they have done to theirs I've had mine for 5 years shot over 5,000 rounds and yes carried it for work for those 5 years as well. I buffed my ramp, I took my mags apart and cleaned them, I let the mags sit loaded for at least 2 to 3 weeks and took it to the range. My weapon fired flawlessly and I have trained with it dropped the mags on the ground and reload and they still fired flawlessly.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Can you go into more detail when you are talking FTF? Is the weapon failing to feed correctly from magazine to chamber, or is the weapon not stripping the round off the magazine at all?

P.S. SHOOTERZ has good advice. Let those mags sit fully loaded for at least two weeks. It does help the magazines break in a little bit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HEY! I'm not dis-ing anyone's advice. I thought these forums were to have civilized discussions and exchange of ideas. I'm a HVAC engineer by trade and we don't load up refrigerant into an air conditioning system and let it sit for a few weeks while the client is steaming! My outside experience is that systems are broke-in by running them and correcting faults, not by letting them sit.

That being said, are there two schools of thought there, do I break-in magazines and pistols by letting the magazines sit loaded and not firing them (the inexpensive way) or by putting time and expense in, by hand loading and unloading and by shooting them? (the expensive way)

Someone out there in law enforcement, or the military, or a gunsmith will know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW: I was attempting a PUN on Polish and polishing vis-a-vis ethnic humor.

STOLAT!

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I never had to leave my mags loaded to break them in, but it can't hurt. It is most likely a feed lip issue. Hipoint mags are made of thin metal as far as mags go, it is the weakpoint in the Hipoint and why most people who have FTFeed issues just give up and call them crap. I have been lucky in that my gun functions 100% with all my 10 rounders, even with my 995 10 round mags 8)

There are many threads if you search "feed lips" on how to adjust the lips in or out and what the factory measurements should be, if you don't have calipers you can just tweak them by trial and error, you can bend the feed lips with hand pressure. Don't give up, once the mag issues are resolved the gun is a gem. I also buffed my feed ramp with a felt wheel, dremel and some flitz (like a mirror 8) )

PS, there are also a couple of different feed lip and follower configurations that have been used over the years, I have both a stepped type and a smooth ramped type, in my gun both types work, guess I'm lucky. I wrote up a thread on the differences in followers. It may be that a certain combination will work better in your gun.

Here are some additional pics, the smooth follower (first on the left) came with my C9 comp when I bought it in 93, so I think it is the "old" design.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,348.0.html

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Here are some additional pics, the smooth follower (first on the left) came with my C9 comp when I bought it in 93, so I think it is the "old" design."

Great pics! Thanks. All of my mags are the ramped design. I'll look for threads on mag tweaking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.