Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am finally going to get a 9mm handgun (part of my Christmas present), and here is my dilemma: I can get a Hi-Point C9 for $129.99, or I can wait a few weeks and get a Kel-Tec P-11 for about $259.00. I have a H-P .40 S&W, which I love, and I know Hi-Point and trust their guns, warranty, etc. I know that a lot of you guys out there carry your C9s, too, and I am a big guy, so I do not think that concealability would be an issue. On the other hand, I also have heard nothing but good things about K-T, the P-11 in particular, and I like the size and double action for CCW (which I intend to apply for soon). Thus, my conundrum: go with what I know, or wait and get a more concealable weapon.

If it makes a difference, two other factors I am considering are these:

1. I love to shoot my guns, and so I do not want to get a gun that will only rarely see time at the range, and I have heard that the K-Ts are a bit rough on your hands after a few mags. I think I could shoot my JCP all day without a problem.

2. Also, K-Ts website says that the P-11 is only expected to last around 6K rounds, and the manufacturer's warranty only covers defect, not normal wear. Hi-Points, however are guaranteed for life... period.

So ladies and gentlemen of HPFF, as Bill O'Reilly puts it: "What say you?"

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
you should know the answer by now son.......get the c9 and use the rest of the money for ammo ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
2. Also, K-Ts website says that the P-11 is only expected to last around 6K rounds, and the manufacturer's warranty only covers defect, not normal wear. Hi-Points, however are guaranteed for life... period.

So ladies and gentlemen of HPFF, as Bill O'Reilly puts it: "What say you?"
Wow, that's a terrible life expectancy. Wonder what happens then? Excessive wear which impedes the handgun's ability to shoot, accuracy probs, parts fall off? With that in mind, I'd go with the c9 for sure.

·
514 Posts
While I am pretty sure you will end up with the C9, see if you can shoot the KT. Maybe it will just feel right for you. However, I am one of those that have had their hands ripped apart by one after a couple mags... They are certainly not designed to fit my small hands.

cheers,
Kyu

G

·
I too looked at the Kel Tec. Read many reviews.

Looks like the Kel Tecs have a breaking in period as well.

All things being equal I think my vote goes to the Hi Point,
and I am not saying this because this is a Hi Point site.. :D

I just have read about many people shooting thousands of
rounds through them without any trouble. Plus if there is
any trouble..you get the great customer service and lifetime
warrenty

G

·
I have a p-11, it is not a range gun. it will hurt your hand after a while,but it is a very good gun.I use my p11 for a car gun, I carry a Kimber 1911 and a Ruger lcp as my ccw....jcb...

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I too looked at the Kel Tec. Read many reviews.

Looks like the Kel Tecs have a breaking in period as well.

All things being equal I think my vote goes to the Hi Point,
and I am not saying this because this is a Hi Point site.. :D

I just have read about many people shooting thousands of
rounds through them without any trouble. Plus if there is
any trouble..you get the great customer service and lifetime
warrenty
Hooray!!!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I have a p-11, it is not a range gun.
I disagree. For the range, I still like my P11. I've got 4 10 round mags and 2 15 round S&W mags that travel with me and I usually shoot 200 rounds when I go.

For carry, I'll take my P11. It will conceal easier, in more places than the C9.

That said, if I still had my C9, I'd take it to the range also. I like that soft recoil, but I only ever had 8 round mags and got tired of reloading instead of shooting.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input from everyone... I went to my local shop again today and held the P-11, and while I do like the concealability, I do have to say that it just feels odd in my hand. I have big mitts, and my third finger is only about halfway on the grip, and my pinky is out there waving in the wind. The shop owner did tell me that if I get an extended mag, then Kel-Tec makes a spacer to put on the magazine to extend the grip and make the hold more natural.

I guess I am leaning more toward the C9 at the moment. When the decision is made, range results and pics will follow. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I owned the Kel tec and hated it. Really bad trigger pull, which seems to be common to all their products. Low quality on other things too. for example, magazine was hard to put in and pull out and had to be broken in which it never really became smooth. Ended up trading it in. If you can get something that you already trust and love for half the price, why worry about kel-tec?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I made my decision, and I just got back home with my new purchase... the Hi-Point C-9! Yes, I have a HP trifecta now, with the JCP, the 995, and now a C-9. It is raining like heck here, though, so it will be a few days before I can try it out. I really like the way it feels... compared to the .40, it is like holding an empty water pistol :D

Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.