C9 Part 33 Hold Open will not disengage.

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by mrwigglesworth, Nov 30, 2014.

1. mrwigglesworth

mrwigglesworth Member

Hi, I am a new C9 owner. Took it to the range and and she fired good. I did have one issue. The Hold Open ( part #33 ) would rise up and engage locking the slide in place. It took awhile to figure it out but I got it to drop. It did do it again after a few rounds.
    Any ideas why this is happening? Also can I fix it?
    Thanks
    Dan
    Toledo Ohio
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. colthrash

colthrash Member

check to see if part 34 is missing or stretched out. is this a brand new c9? or just new to you? there is an excerpt at the bottom of the graphic relating to the lrho and older magazines.

3. mrwigglesworth

mrwigglesworth Member

Hi.
    The C9 is new never fired and I am its second owner. I previous owner did a feed ramp polish and also polished the head of part 32. Maybe the spring got stretched out in the process?
    Thanks
    Dan

4. colthrash

colthrash Member

does your magazine have the notch as shown in part #22?

5. mrwigglesworth

mrwigglesworth Member

Yes both the 8rd and 10rd have the cutout.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    New never fired...but you are the second owner? The first guy did work to it, but never fired it? That's crazy, I can never figure out why people screw with a gun, when they have absolutely no idea if it needs it, or if what they are doing is good or bad.

Dumb question, just to ensure we are all on the same page...

So, the LRHO engages. You drop the empty mag, put a new one in.

And then what?

Are you pulling the slide back to release the LRHO, as is necessary with these guns?

And then, are you also saying it engages sometimes before the mag is empty?

If so, there are three fixes.

Mash and grind the part that sticks out so bullets can't hit it, or tweak the mag lips to the right, or find a way to ensure the mags stay centered or to the right in the mag well. Some have used JB weld on the left side of the mag to help push it right.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  7. mrwigglesworth

mrwigglesworth Member

"So, the LRHO engages. You drop the empty mag, put a new one in.
    And then what?"

I fired a round and the LRHO engaged. I dropped the loaded mag pulled the slid back as far as I could and slid the LRHO down with a tiny screwdriver. Slide came foward. I reloaded and fired the rest of the mag. The slide locked back after last round.

"Are you pulling the slide back to release the LRHO, as is necessary with these guns?"

After I reloaded I pulled the slide back and ran 10 rds no problem.

"And then, are you also saying it engages sometimes before the mag is empty?"

Yes it did after the very first round fired. I got it to drop and fired the rest of the mag.

When I got home I cycled the slide without a mag and after about 8-12 times it did it again. I was thinking maybe the spring is to loose and allowing the LRHO to engage. I see nothing else wrong or out of the ordinary.
    Thanks
    Dan

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

Ok, that's not good...try just dropping the mag, re- inserting the loaded mag, pulling slide to the rear, and the slide should return to battery. But it sounds like something may be pushing the LRHO, other than the follower.

Ok...that sounds normal.

Yep, there is a problem, and you may be right about the cause, it may NOT be what I thought it was.

But this is new, I don't think I've heard of this one before.

Call mom, they will send you new springs if you ask for them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Have you pulled the grip and checked the spring? Sounds like it fell off.

10. mrwigglesworth

mrwigglesworth Member

Thanks guys. Ill look into getting a new spring and maybe shave down 1/16" on the LRHO follower holder.
    Thanks
    Dan

11. mrwigglesworth

mrwigglesworth Member

UPDATE:
    HP sent me two springs and I changed it. The C9 was great! Fired 50 rounds of Federal aluminum case ammo and had one nosedive. Other than that it was very accurate at 7 yards.
    I also bought a lightly used 995 for $200.
    I guess I'm a HP guy now.

12. RugerFan

RugerFan Member

Great to hear the problem was solved so easily.