Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a carry firearm, and can only afford a Hi-Point C9. So I've been watching a ton of YouTube reviews and reading online. I've also read comments in the reviews. A LOT of people say the same things "I love mine" "Super reliable" "Very Accurate" I personally like them at face value.
However, I've also heard things about reliability. Particularly, nose dive issues with multiple types of ammo in the magazines. Some of those reviews were from 5 years ago though. The guy manning the counter at Academy said he had one and it didn't cycle on the third round.
So I wanted it from experienced owners: Is this a reliable firearm? Can I bet my life on it? If not I will try to find something in the price range (which I know won't be that cheap).
Please advise

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,402 Posts
Easy answer is some have magazine issues. Most don't ever have issues. Reliable yes, like most firearms wholly depends on operator, ammo, etc. .
Now the question is other than being able to carry. Why do you Need to carry. Job? Being threatened, gang member, want to play John Wick. It has a deciding factor in what type of gun you need.

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
If you need a concealed carry gun….I’d suggest something other than a C9.

If you need to carry a gun like a cop or security guard, I’d suggest the JCP or JHP. In my experience, the larger guns are more reliable, and less finicky.

But at this point in time, I think you can find carry and duty guns that are within $20-$50 of the Hi Point, and are probably better guns. Ruger Ec9s is $200-$250. A Taurus G2 is about the same price, with more capacity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Easy answer is some have magazine issues. Most don't ever have issues. Reliable yes, like most firearms wholly depends on operator, ammo, etc. .
Now the question is other than being able to carry. Why do you Need to carry. Job? Being threatened, gang member, want to play John Wick. It has a deciding factor in what type of gun you need.
I'm a very high ranking member of the Tomato Town Bloods, and the leader of the Blueberry Boy Crips just put a bounty of 2 Swisher blunts and a bottle of Hennessy on my head. What firearm should I pack?

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,402 Posts
I'm a very high ranking member of the Tomato Town Bloods, and the leader of the Blueberry Boy Crips just put a bounty of 2 Swisher blunts and a bottle of Hennessy on my head. What firearm should I pack?
At this point a Daisy lever action.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Got it.

Should I bring my tactical daisy dukes as well
Negative. This situation calls for the highest level of mall ninja tacticool gear. Lasr, reddo, cowitness everythings and manditory stock mounts 100 BB clipizine mandatory.
Sleeve Dog Camouflage Carnivore Helmet
Rifle MUST be fully semi-automatic and use Glock magazines designed for lever action only. Please, Sir, get with the program. ;)

Reactions: 7000al

·
Registered
4 Posts
OIY!
YOU STAY OFF THE DIRTAY MANGO MONGOLS SODE OF THE FORUM, ELSE MYSELF AND ME CHAPS WILL COME MIX YOUR COLORED DIRTY CLOTHES WITH YE WHITES! FACK AROUND AND YOULL END UP WITH DIRTY DISHES PUT AWAY WiTH YE MUMS FINE CHINA... AND FINALLY, ILL PERSONALLY CALL YOUR PAPPY AND TELL HIM YOUVE BEEN SKIPPING SUNDAY SCHOOL! right lads, keep a movin eh!?

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
OP had a weird question. If you can't figure out what you should carry, then please don't carry. Having to make the decision, in a bad situation, to pull the trigger or not, will be much more difficult to make than what you have in your hand.

I understand a "budget" situation or "it's the only thing I had available" at the time, but these days there are so many options to choose from, it's not that difficult.

Personally, I don't carry any Hi Point pistol, because I have way better options...the carbine would be a different story. Other than a low round count, the carbines are solid. Someone above mentioned the Ruger EC9s...just fifty dollars or so more than the C9. I have an EC9s, and it is a great, cheap option, that has ran very well for about 600 rounds and two years now.

OP, just do some research, go to a few stores and check them out. It's not that the Hi Point guns are junk, it's just there are so many options out there, for just a few more bucks. JMHO

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Well, I can tell you to NOT GET these guns.... Jennings, Raven, Jimenez, Bryco. These are for those who already have a few or many reliable guns and just wanted something to play with at plinking because of their cost, and while they could save one's life, on the right day of the week, at the right time of day, just after the grass was mowed and trash taken out, they're not something to rely on.

Hi-Points are tiers above these, but to only have one carry gun and only have due to its price, you really do need to save a bit more and get something a bit better. It doesn't take $1000 to get a Kimber, Springfield or Glock, as these too could be out of your price range.

Try looking at Bersa Thunder, Tarus G2, Smith & Wesson SD9 or SD9VE. These are $350 or much less to acquire, or a good old revolver in 38spl or 357mag. Just make sure the cylinder clocks and locks solidly on the chamber needed or a rebuild will be required which for parts needed could make that revolver a paper weight, as no parts could be found, or months in repair just waiting on needed parts. While a revolver is a bit thicker due to cylinder bulge and limited ammo count, the reliability of them are priceless when needed to save a live. Just ask any old law enforcement officier who used them before the 80's, and semi's being department required, and revolvers are still being used as boot backup guns to this day by many folk.

Hell, you could even get a great 22WMR or 22LR semiautomatic or revolver with some extra mags or speed round holders (if available) and still be better off than having nothing, for around $350 or less.. Don't think a 22 won't or can't kill when needed. 22 ammo's are also lower in costs per round, lighter to pack, so easier to have more on hand when needed for emergencies.

Look at pawn shops, friends or gun sites and maybe you'll find that perfect gun you need.

I can say this, I do own a Bersa Thunder (Deluxe - 9rd magazine) in 380 and it's a very solid, all metal pistol that's a look-a-like to the Walther PPK. While the 380 is a bit small for me, Bersa also makes them in 9mm and 45ACP. Don't know about 40S&W if they make one as it's been years since I was on their website looking around.

I also own a S&W SD9VE which is a 9mm that is a virtual clone of the Glocks and even S&W got sued due to this. It's a great shooter and fits (my) hand naturally and comes up on target easily due to the angle of the hand grip. This is my concealed EDC gun.

For a Hi-Point I went with a 40JCP many years ago due to ammo availability as most all stores that sell pistol ammos carry 40S&W due to police departments having this caliber, so stores carry it for their emergencies, so stores order extras of it to sell to customers. This is my "around the farm" gun due to higher velocity and hitting power of unwanted varmints.

·
Premium Member
9,709 Posts
Well, I can tell you to NOT GET these guns.... Jennings, Raven, Jimenez, Bryco.
I can say this, I do own a Bersa Thunder
I also own a S&W SD9VE
For a Hi-Point I went with a 40JCP
Tsk. Ravens get no respect.

Reactions: 7000al

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
I understand all I can afford. In my opinion most do not. Saving another $50 or $100 to get the next better might just mean you get nothing. Nothing wrong with the Hi Point. In my opinion the CF380 and the JHP are the most reliable.

There is one brand I will stay away from though. That is Bersa. I really wanted to like them as they are very comfortable in the hand. I had the Thunder 45 UC and the Thunder 380. I especially liked the Thunder 380. At least for about 600 rounds or so. Then had a slide failure. The slide faile again, and Bersa replaced it. Failed again and I fixed it myself. Along the way, the magazines failed. Bersa replaced them. After that Bersa just kept me in magazine springs. Bersa did have very good customer service.

About 10 years or so ago I used my BT380 to qualify and had a 60% failure rate. The stated “that’s some of the best shooting I have seen, too bad the pistol was so unreliable”. I traded it off after that. The 45 UC was almost as bad.

I also had a bad experience with KelTec. Swore off of them until a couple years ago when I bought a PMR 30. Absolutely a much better experience. I later bought a CMR 30 and a CP33. They have also run well for me. There will be a P17 in the inventory soon I hope. Do not think I will ever buy another center from them again, but I do like the Rimfires. I carry the PMR and CMR 30’s daily. Never had any issues with either of them.

Another company I have good luck with is Armscor. I have the M200 and M206 38 spl revolvers, along with 3 of their GI model 45’s, one in each size. No issues with the revolvers and only a very few feeding issues with the compact size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first post here on the forum^ It's in reply to the 380 feed issue by the OP. It boils down to the magazines. They are either holding and feeding the bullet properly, or they are not, for the entire magazine when fully loaded. It's the fingers at the top of the magazine not keeping the rear of the bullet from leaving the taller fingers prematurely, and the shorter fingers keeping the front of the bullet from leaving without restriction. The other issue, is binding of the front of the bullet on the loading ramp, after the back end has been pulled up out of the magazine prematurely. Checking, and adjusting the clip fingers, polishing the ramp, and a good silicone lube-job before your first magazine dump, should take care of everything.

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
The 9mm out of a revolver is the same power as a .357.

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
The 9mm out of a revolver is the same power as a .357.
I heard that, Trash. But will it equal the 10mm out of a 2" snubby? I'm thinking of reboring my Ruhr to take 10mm short, but want to make sure I can outclass the 9mm. Brandon says it'll tear your lungs clean out of your chest, and we know he's an ex...purt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts