c9 springs

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by sdbrit68, Apr 4, 2015.

1. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I am trying to learn the most I can.......

The spring in the trigger, has a direct correlation to how much presure you have to pull with to engage the trigger ?

The sear spring, I cant seem to locate what that does in laymens tems

The guide rod spring, I believe that is how hard the slide will move, and messing with it could effect how well the weapon feeds new rounds in ?

the firing pin, has two springs, other than moving the firing pin, I cant find a good explanation of those, or why you would change them, any help is appreciated

thanks

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Happily.

Nope. That would be the sear spring. Trigger spring gives the trigger some flex when pressing it and keeps it aligned to the trigger bar.

See above. It also keeps the sear from falling down and your C-9 from going full auto. Don't eff with it.

Recoil spring and yea, it absorbs the recoil from a fired round and causes the slide to return to battery. Changing it will effect how it feeds.

The tall skinny one is the one that forces the firing pin into the primer and makes it go "boom". The short fat one is a guide that keeps the other one straight while under pressure. To understand this, put them together then compress the tall one between your thumb and fore finger. See how it stays in place? Now do it with just the tall spring. See what direction it just went flying across the room?

3. sdbrit68

Thanks, appreciate the simple words and visual, I am one of those that doesnt mind saying I dont know, when I really dont know.

So, on a full auto it has a lighter sear spring ?
    so it wont pop up ?

What would be the purpose of changing the weight on the firing pin spring ?

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    On a firearm that's supposed to be full auto? I don't know exactly how it's done. Lightening the sear spring on a Hi-Point will lighten the trigger pull but can cause the sear to drop prematurely or not reengage the firing pin. Changing the firing pin spring will affect how hard the firing pin strikes the primer. A lighter one and it might not fire. A heavier one and you'll probably be bending or breaking several firing pins.

5. what_now

what_now Member

The sear spring is under the sear pushing it up. When the slide comes back it pushes the firing pin over the sear which catches and holds it because of the groove on the firing pin and the pressure from the sear spring. When you pull the trigger the trigger bar pulls the sear down which releases the firing pin and the gun fires and resets. The pull of the trigger is you forcing the sear spring down to release the firing pin. The softer the spring the lighter the trigger pull but also increased chance of accidental catch and release, which could cause full auto action - also known as "runaway".
    When the slide goes back it kicks the trigger bar down and does not reset to firing position until the slide is fully seated forward. On a full auto firearm there is no trigger reset.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  6. sdbrit68

thank you both, now the stuff I read makes sense

7. ChewedUp

ChewedUp Member

Good stuff and great pics!