Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I haven't even shot my C9 yet, so I won't comment on its performance, but something else was bothering me.

I'm often hearing folks complain about the size of the C9. Can't conceal it, huge, bulky, etc. So I was wondering how it stacked up to two other 9mm that I hear people rave about as a carry gun, the Sig Sauer P229 and the Glock 17.

The Hi-Point C9 is:
6.75" Long
5.00" Tall
1.50" Wide
25 oz. (unloaded)

The Sig Sauer P229 is:
7.10" Long
5.40" Tall
1.50" Wide
32 oz. (unloaded)

The Glock 17 is:
7.32" Long
5.34" Tall
1.18" Wide
22 oz. (unloaded)

So, with the exception of the Glock being about 1/3" thinner and 3 oz. lighter, these two other "outstanding" CCW guns are larger and heavier than the C9. I know that 1/3" difference in thickness does matter when it comes to concealing, but I just don't see where they big, heavy thing comes from. (Ugly, I get - big and heavy, not so much.)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think you have confused the idea of a cary gun and a CCW. The P229 and G17 are service pistols that are used for open cary. Not many conceal them for the valid points that you observe based upon their size. Not to many treat the C9 as a primary service pistol that is worn on duty (LEO, security, etc...). All these pistols are too large for a good CCW. They can be used that way, but will be rather noticeable. I don't know where you are getting your weight info either. HP has the C9 clocked at 29 oz not 25.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you have confused the idea of a cary gun and a CCW. The P229 and G17 are service pistols that are used for open cary. Not many conceal them for the valid points that you observe based upon their size. Not to many treat the C9 as a primary service pistol that is worn on duty (LEO, security, etc...). All these pistols are too large for a good CCW. They can be used that way, but will be rather noticeable. I don't know where you are getting your weight info either. HP has the C9 clocked at 29 oz not 25.
I don't think I'm too confused. I realize the P229 and G17 are not pocket guns, but I do see them discussed as compact 9mm's that make good carry guns on some other forums.

I got the 25 ounce number from a review that said that recent C9s have had their weight shaved down to 25 oz., from the usual 29. Given that HP doesn't keep their site that up to date, I wouldn't be surprised to find that out. When my waiting period ends, I'll weigh my C9.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
many of the guys I shoot with carry full sized service pistols concealed .... to each there own! I can carry my C9 concealed and have never been made while doing so!

Reactions: Mark Baker

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think there's another discussion here. I live in TX so for concealed weapon, smaller is better since for most of the year we don't wear coats. If I lived in a year round colder climate my decision would be different.

WR2

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I wasn't making my point clearly enough. I wasn't really trying to say the C9 was a great CCW gun. It probably is a little big for that. I was actually just trying to point out that one of the big criticisms I hear about HPs is that they're so big. But they're actually often smaller than some of the other "compacts" on the market. I see it as yet another way to criticize them, when it's often not really a valid criticism.

G

·
The Glock 19 is the compact, not the 17. The 17 is a full size pistol. Anybody calling it a compact is mistaken.

I had a Glock 23 (same dimensions as a 19, but .40 S&W), and it would be quite easy to conceal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're absolutely right. It's the 19 that's the compact. But the 19 still has the following measurements:

Length: 6.85"
Height: 5.00"
Width: 1.18"
Weight: 21 oz.

So we're still just talking 1/3" thicker and a few ounces heavier. I realize, again, that the thickness does have an impact on concealability, but I think my original point still stands. The HP isn't really any bigger than several models that are considered excellent CCW weapons.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I guess I wasn't making my point clearly enough. I wasn't really trying to say the C9 was a great CCW gun. It probably is a little big for that. I was actually just trying to point out that one of the big criticisms I hear about HPs is that they're so big. But they're actually often smaller than some of the other "compacts" on the market. I see it as yet another way to criticize them, when it's often not really a valid criticism.
The C9 is not smaller than other "compacts" on the market. That is the whole point where you are wrong. The G17 and Sig are not compact guns. Neither is the C9. They are regular side arms and not compact. Take a real compact like a Ket Tec PF9 and compare it to the C9. It isn't even close. Just because someone claims to use a full size pistol as a ccw, does not mean it is a compact. And BTW,I will take HPs data on their gun weight seeing how there have been no published changes since the new polymer. The current C9 has not been redesigned or shaved down.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I can carry my C9 concealed and have never been made while doing so!
There is no way you can honestly claim this. If someone did make you, do you honestly think they are going to come up and tell you, "Mr. I know you have a gun!!!" Give me a break.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yeah the fact that they call it a compact sure does start some interesting threads! It's kind of misleading unless you know alot about guns of diff types and sizes!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Digger are you seriously trying to irritate people or are you just concerned that I could be mistaken and am not aware of it and that bothers you?

Let me rephrase I have never been aware of being made IE no one has ever said anything to me or called 911 on me or told a police officer in my presence! I have spent hours in the same room with several police officers that didn't know me and they never said one word to me about it.. I am sure if they saw the gun they would have checked to make sure I was legal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not misled. I'm not talking about Hi-Point calling it a compact, so I'm confusing it with a Kel-Tec PF9, or another "compact" 9mm. I'm talking about being on other boards where things like Sig P229's and Glock 19's are suggested as good CCW weapons, but Hi-Points are considered far too big for CCW.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm not misled. I'm not talking about Hi-Point calling it a compact, so I'm confusing it with a Kel-Tec PF9, or another "compact" 9mm. I'm talking about being on other boards where things like Sig P229's and Glock 19's are suggested as good CCW weapons, but Hi-Points are considered far too big for CCW.
I know what you are talking about I have seen those same posts and threads myself......

·
Registered
591 Posts
Digger are you seriously trying to irritate people or are you just concerned that I could be mistaken and am not aware of it and that bothers you?

Let me rephrase I have never been aware of being made IE no one has ever said anything to me or called 911 on me or told a police officer in my presence! I have spent hours in the same room with several police officers that didn't know me and they never said one word to me about it.. I am sure if they saw the gun they would have checked to make sure I was legal.
Not at all. I am just being realistic. I have carried my pistol hundreds of times out in the open on my hip and nobody has ever said anything. Nobody has ever called 911 on me either. It has nothing to do with irritation. I just found it funny that you claim you have never been made when there is no way you actually know. I honestly am laughing and light hearted about your statement. I hit my funny bone.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Ah well sorry I misunderstood... sometimes it is too hard to tell from just a post what the true meaning is.... I have had the same experience open carrying so really it is hard to know when people notice!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
a big difference that is not mentioned is magazine capacity. i don't mind extra bulk/weight if i am gaining something else like magazine capacity. i have 3 carry pistols keltec p3at, kahr cw9, and glock 23. the size/weight is directly related to magazine capacity and it's a choice i must make when i carry. am i going to the grocery store in the middle of the day? am i going into an urban area at night? all these factors come into play when it comes to comfort and weight of my carry weapon.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
That is why my main carry pistol is my Taurus Pt111 12+1 in a much smaller package... however for open carry while working outdoors the C9 fits the bill...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I carry the Taurus pt111 G2 occasionally and except for the thickness the C9 and G2 have very similar dimensions. The Hi Point C9 , for me, shoots better ,and is very consistent Pertaining to accuracy. Never a malfunction on C9 either. My 2 cents..

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,934 Posts
I carry the Taurus pt111 G2 occasionally and except for the thickness the C9 and G2 have very similar dimensions. The Hi Point C9 , for me, shoots better ,and is very consistent Pertaining to accuracy. Never a malfunction on C9 either. My 2 cents..
Last post was in 2009. Welcome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts