Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was given a recipient for cabbage soup. Basically cabbage, carrots, and onions cooked together with various spices. Noticeably lacking is meat. The soup is both vegan and paleo friendly.

I have been using the paleo (or hunter-gatherer) diet successfully to lose weight. But I am a carnivore and want some type of fish, foul, or red meat in every meal. I intended to add meat to this soup, but I did not.

I was surprised when I took my first bite. This is one of the best soups I have ever eaten. I could eat this 2 or 3 times a week. I have no intention of becoming vegan, and I think there will be some type of meat in my next batch. Just hope it doesn’t mess it up.

This soup is that good!

·
Registered
924 Posts
My wife makes what she calls "goulash", with cabbage, potatoes, onion, carrots and ground beef. Substitute cauliflower for potatoes to reduce the carbs.

·
Premium Member
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife makes what she calls "goulash", with cabbage, potatoes, onion, carrots and ground beef. Substitute cauliflower for potatoes to reduce the carbs.
Goulash as I know it is a mixture of beef, onion, bell pepper, and macaroni in a tomato sauce. One of my favorite comfort foods.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
I have a fantastic vegan 3-bean chili recipe I have been perfecting for a few months, since the new woman is vegan.

I've tried it straight vegan, vegetarian with just a little bit of sour cream and shredded cheese, and pure carnivore with ground beef and pork with all the fixin's.

It's fooled quite a few people since I started sneaking it in at parties. I will not be going vegan... ever, but it's still good chili.

·
Super Moderator
28,368 Posts
Was given a recipient for cabbage soup. Basically cabbage, carrots, and onions cooked together with various spices. Noticeably lacking is meat. The soup is both vegan and paleo friendly.
And Gulag approved...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Lot of people of Serbian heritage where I live call their cabbage soup kupus. Depending on who is making it determines what they put in the soup. It could include any of the following: kielbasa, potatoes, onions, carrots, etc. I like it plain or with rice.

Here in Lower Slobbovia -
Believe-it-or-not --- Long John Silvers sells pierogis. Pizza shops sell pierogi pizza. Family makes golumpki (ground beef and rice wrapped with cabbage baked in a tomato sauce). And Haluski (cabbage and noodles).

·
Premium Member
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Family makes golumpki
Traditional New Years day meal in the wife's family. Good stuff! She always called them cabbage rolls. Put a coin in some of them. Whoever got the coin was going to have good luck. (Unless they choked on the coin)

reminds me of the movie grumpy old men.
"Kids swallow quarters all the time. If she craps out two dimes and a nickel, then start worrying"

Reactions: 7000al and Keystone

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Family makes golumpki (ground beef and rice wrapped with cabbage baked in a tomato sauce).
Mom called it stuffed cabbage rolls. Damn! I forgot all about that meal. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Goulash as I know it is a mixture of beef, onion, bell pepper, and macaroni in a tomato sauce. One of my favorite comfort foods.
Yep, that is as I know it. We have it often. Me like!

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Family makes golumpki (ground beef and rice wrapped with cabbage baked in a tomato sauce).
It was funny listening to the old Polaks argue between halupki and golumpki. They even argue about how to spell and pronounce kielbasa. Growing up just outside of Pittsburgh was great for eating and learning how to make all sorts of regional cuisine from Eastern Europe

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
It was funny listening to the old Polaks argue between halupki and golumpki. They even argue about how to spell and pronounce kielbasa. Growing up just outside of Pittsburgh was great for eating and learning how to make all sorts of regional cuisine from Eastern Europe
So younse (local lingo) lived near Pittsburgh.

Here in Johnstown:
Poles = golumpki (pronounced: go woom key)
Russians and Slovak = halupki
Everyone = Kielbassi (no "a" at the end and we say: co bus see)
Two Christmases and two Easters.
One for Catholics and one for Orthodox.
And like Pittsburgh we have the same accent.
No matter where I've been in the U.S. when I'm talking there's usually someone who asks, "Are you from Pittsburgh?".
Never knew we had an accent.

Reactions: 7000al

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
So younse (local lingo) lived near Pittsburgh.

Here in Johnstown:
Poles = golumpki (pronounced: go woom key)
Russians and Slovak = halupki
Everyone = Kielbassi (no "a" at the end and we say: co bus see)
Two Christmases and two Easters.
One for Catholics and one for Orthodox.
And like Pittsburgh we have the same accent.
No matter where I've been in the U.S. when I'm talking there's usually someone who asks, "Are you from Pittsburgh?".
Never knew we had an accent.
Myron Cope is all I have to say if yinz all think you don't have an accent. I still get weird looks when I tell people "Kennywood's open."

And it's kah bah see....

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Reminds me of the old Cleveland TV shows. Big Chuck and Hoolihan used to play a different version of this song almost every Friday night.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Myron Cope is all I have to say if yinz all think you don't have an accent.
Loved that guy! Never missed the 11PM TV sports report with Myron.
Some of the best comments ever. MY favorite was:
Myron said his wife was telling him to stop knocking the Pittsburgh Condors pro basketball team. He told her to go to a game and watch them play. So she went to a game. Myron said, "She went to a game and watched them play, and she said, and I quote, 'They Stink!'."

And not to forget all the things he'd say about the Cleveland Brown fans i.e. when they'd come to Pgh for a game, they'd all get drunk and fall into the Allegheny River.

And it's kah bah see....
As you move east from Pgh vowel sounds change as in "kah" changes to "co". Different accent here i.e. "motor sick cles".

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
8,081 Posts
I like the stereotypical Minnesooota accent you find up north... get down where I am and it is more western SD drawl... but different cultures settled each area. Lot of Slavic nations up on the Iron Range, down where I am it was more Swedish/German settlers... Get in the Twin Cities and it was the Irish in one part of the metro area...

Reactions: Keystone

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Loved that guy! Never missed the 11PM TV sports report with Myron.
Some of the best comments ever. MY favorite was:
Myron said his wife was telling him to stop knocking the Pittsburgh Condors pro basketball team. He told her to go to a game and watch them play. So she went to a game. Myron said, "She went to a game and watched them play, and she said, and I quote, 'They Stink!'."

And not to forget all the things he'd say about the Cleveland Brown fans i.e. when they'd come to Pgh for a game, they'd all get drunk and fall into the Allegheny River.

As you move east from Pgh vowel sounds change as in "kah" changes to "co". Different accent here i.e. "motor sick cles".
You'uns in Johns-town never culd talk right. In Al-tuna its "Kill-boss-ee" and "murder-sick-els". And I agree wid da boat-a-yas - we have ethnic groups from all over Europe and the food is amazing! You used to be able to tell the neighborhood by the smell of the food. Hungarian, Polish, Hi-talian, German, Greek...no wonder I got fat so quick!

·
Premium Member
35,666 Posts
That ain’t cabbage soup....

Reactions: 7000al

·
Registered
95 Posts

I have been using the paleo (or hunter-gatherer) diet successfully to lose weight. But I am a carnivore and want some type of fish, foul, or red meat in every meal. I intended to add meat to this soup, but I did not.

I was surprised when I took my first bite. This is one of the best soups I have ever eaten. I could eat this 2 or 3 times a week. I have no intention of becoming vegan, and I think there will be some type of meat in my next batch. Just hope it doesn't mess it up.

This soup is that good!
It kina sounz like da wife's coorned beeve and cabbitch fixens. Put a coorned beeve in dare an let it simma for a coupla daze. Mite be whaya lookin fo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts