Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Cabbage Soup

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  undeRGRound 
#1 ·
Was given a recipient for cabbage soup. Basically cabbage, carrots, and onions cooked together with various spices. Noticeably lacking is meat. The soup is both vegan and paleo friendly.

I have been using the paleo (or hunter-gatherer) diet successfully to lose weight. But I am a carnivore and want some type of fish, foul, or red meat in every meal. I intended to add meat to this soup, but I did not.

I was surprised when I took my first bite. This is one of the best soups I have ever eaten. I could eat this 2 or 3 times a week. I have no intention of becoming vegan, and I think there will be some type of meat in my next batch. Just hope it doesn’t mess it up.

This soup is that good!

#3 ·
Goulash as I know it is a mixture of beef, onion, bell pepper, and macaroni in a tomato sauce. One of my favorite comfort foods.

#4 ·
I have a fantastic vegan 3-bean chili recipe I have been perfecting for a few months, since the new woman is vegan.

I've tried it straight vegan, vegetarian with just a little bit of sour cream and shredded cheese, and pure carnivore with ground beef and pork with all the fixin's.

It's fooled quite a few people since I started sneaking it in at parties. I will not be going vegan... ever, but it's still good chili.

#5 ·
Was given a recipient for cabbage soup. Basically cabbage, carrots, and onions cooked together with various spices. Noticeably lacking is meat. The soup is both vegan and paleo friendly.
And Gulag approved...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

#6 ·
Lot of people of Serbian heritage where I live call their cabbage soup kupus. Depending on who is making it determines what they put in the soup. It could include any of the following: kielbasa, potatoes, onions, carrots, etc. I like it plain or with rice.

Here in Lower Slobbovia -
Believe-it-or-not --- Long John Silvers sells pierogis. Pizza shops sell pierogi pizza. Family makes golumpki (ground beef and rice wrapped with cabbage baked in a tomato sauce). And Haluski (cabbage and noodles).

#7 ·
Family makes golumpki
Traditional New Years day meal in the wife's family. Good stuff! She always called them cabbage rolls. Put a coin in some of them. Whoever got the coin was going to have good luck. (Unless they choked on the coin)

reminds me of the movie grumpy old men.
"Kids swallow quarters all the time. If she craps out two dimes and a nickel, then start worrying"

Reactions: 7000al and Keystone
#14 ·
Reminds me of the old Cleveland TV shows. Big Chuck and Hoolihan used to play a different version of this song almost every Friday night.

#16 ·
I like the stereotypical Minnesooota accent you find up north... get down where I am and it is more western SD drawl... but different cultures settled each area. Lot of Slavic nations up on the Iron Range, down where I am it was more Swedish/German settlers... Get in the Twin Cities and it was the Irish in one part of the metro area...

Reactions: Keystone
#27 ·
#20 ·

I have been using the paleo (or hunter-gatherer) diet successfully to lose weight. But I am a carnivore and want some type of fish, foul, or red meat in every meal. I intended to add meat to this soup, but I did not.

I was surprised when I took my first bite. This is one of the best soups I have ever eaten. I could eat this 2 or 3 times a week. I have no intention of becoming vegan, and I think there will be some type of meat in my next batch. Just hope it doesn't mess it up.

This soup is that good!
It kina sounz like da wife's coorned beeve and cabbitch fixens. Put a coorned beeve in dare an let it simma for a coupla daze. Mite be whaya lookin fo.

#22 ·
Ummmm.....cabbage soup isn’t American. And Wonder Woman is from Atlantis.

Not sure if she got a visa to come into the country or not.

But that’s ok. Diversity is strength, right?

As for apple pie...probably English. But since we made it better by adding sugar and leaving out figs or raisins, I’m with you on that one being American.

#23 ·
Ummmm.....cabbage soup isn't American. And Wonder Woman is from Atlantis.

Not sure if she got a visa to come into the country or not.

But that's ok. Diversity is strength, right?

As for apple pie...probably English. But since we made it better by adding sugar and leaving out figs or raisins, I'm with you on that one being American.
Any one/food that comes to America can become an American.

Just follow the rules.

eldar

#28 ·

I was surprised when I took my first bite. This is one of the best soups I have ever eaten. I could eat this 2 or 3 times a week. I have no intention of becoming vegan, and I think there will be some type of meat in my next batch. Just hope it doesn’t mess it up.

This soup is that good!
Thanks for that reminder, Mrs Moley used to make that and it is delicious. I'm a lot like you, no intentions of going vegan or vegetarian but this soup is very tasty w/o meat and we never added any.

I bet it is still good, and good for you. Lean chicken might be a good match!

#29 ·
Thanks for that reminder, Mrs Moley used to make that and it is delicious. I'm a lot like you, no intentions of going vegan or vegetarian but this soup is very tasty w/o meat and we never added any.

I bet it is still good, and good for you. Lean chicken might be a good match!
It is good like it is, sans any meat. But it might just need some. I don’t see any fowl as being good in this. And seeing that I have pretty much ceased chasing the feral swine through the woods and the whistle pigs have emerged from their burrows, just might have to try some of that in it. The next young one I get just might end up simmering next to a head of cabbage!

Reactions: undeRGRound
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.