Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

California Legal Carbine?

37K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Kommifornian 
#1 ·
I went to my local firearm retailer to special order a 995 carbine, but got turned down because they have a pistol grip with a magazine that sticks out so is considered an "assault weapon." Maybe you guys could design a carbine without the pistol grip to make it California legal.

#2 ·
I went to my local firearm retailer to special order a 995 carbine, but got turned down because they have a pistol grip with a magazine that sticks out so is considered an "assault weapon." Maybe you guys could design a carbine without the pistol grip to make it California legal.
Lan World used to put a bullet button on them and import them into CA. Give them a call:
http://www.lanworldinc.com/

#6 ·
With the ATI stock it's no longer a "pistol grip". Instead it's a "thumbhole stock". Back in the 90s a lot of AKs got around the pistol grip ban that way http://www.mouseguns.com/ak47info/mak90.jpg .
In California, thumbhole and pistol grip both fail the 'evil features' test for semi-automatic rifles, so the ATI won't help him either.

#8 ·
I was gonna make a topic suggesting this but clearly I'm not the first one to think of it! Our brethren in Hellifornia deserve an affordable carbine too!

For you CA guys: DDs Ranch has posted they have ordered some bullet buttons for 995s and should be offering a version they will ship to CA soon.
http://www.ddsranch.com/

#9 ·
Would be easier to move from California then to redesign a weapon systen for just a few

#14 ·
Maybe not...if they do come for you just take the magazine release button off. IIRC you can pull the actual button off and leave the little rod in place (which would most likely require a "tool" to depress in order for the magazine to be released. I could be wrong though, it's been a while since I've owned an ATI.

#19 ·
California = fail. Sorry for those of you that live there, but I wouldn't vote for it because I don't want my prices to go up because of that commy state :undecided:
I gota agree, I was hesitant to post my 2 cents since this is going to get political but really if ya'll want a legal 995 you guys in CA need to push your legislature and make it legal yourselves I wouldn't want my product getting ether more expensive or less desirable to make it legal to be sold in CA. I blame states that have mag capacity restrictions on why HP don't bother making pistols and carbines with hi capacity mags to, so they can have one design and still sell their pistols in such states at least, and since I'm sure the carbines share alot of design elements with the pistols... I'd sure love a double stack 995 that holds at least 15 rds of 9mm which is VERY do-able but that won't happen even though here in slow-hio it's legal.

#22 ·
ok problem solved, i bought the over sized mag release from an ebay seller, drilled a small hole in the middle and put spacers behind it, so i cant engage it unless i use a tool to press it in.
That sounds like something that should be made a sticky in the Announcements, Stickies, and Tutorials section. Maybe the Gunsmithing area as well!

#25 ·
Thumbhole/bullet hole

Ok so I bought the 995ts and the ati gunstock with all the cool rails..
Received my ati gunstock 4days after and my gun 6 days later (California 10 day waiting period).. Started to take the gun apart to install it on the ati gun stock.. After an hour I was done and satisfied but realized that it no longer had a bullet hole.. I figured out a way to make it bullet hole again.. My question is if I modify the mag release button to make it a bullet hole would that make my firearm legal in the state of California?? If not, is any one interested in buying a modified ATI gunstock to fit the new 995ts with two 17" top rails, 6" bottom rail, two 3" side rails?? Please inform :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.