California Open carry at risk.

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by 6842WX, Jun 19, 2011.

1. 6842WX

6842WX Member

California is currently trying to pass two bills making it illegal to open carry in California (AB 144 and SB 661). Thanks to the efforts of none other than Assemblyman Anthony Portantino. The bills have already passed the Senate Public Safety Committee as of June 06th. Being that this state is already a "may issue" for CCW, and since it is nearly impossible to get the sheriff to sign off on it (depending on your county of course) OC is one of the only ways that most people can protect themselves. I searched the threads to see if someone has already posted about this and so far no one has (that i can see at least). Well i guess I am passing the SA along and seeing what Y'all think on the matter.

2. They need to just hand the state over to the gangbangers and politicians and build a wall around it... I think there was a movie made that was something along those lines. Sometimes life needs to imitate art. I lived in the Bay area many years ago and it was a festering cesspool in large areas already, I don't imagine it got much better.

3. ehfudd

ehfudd Member

amazing,there are states that seem to be going forward and then you got THIS. feel for ya pal. :cantlook:

4. 6842WX

6842WX Member

Yeah the BA has not gotten any better since you left.....and it does put quite a hamper on us trying to protect ourselves. On a good note however there is still no law about open carry of shotguns/rifles and i happen to have a three point sling for just the occasion!!! Of course that will probably get banned as well, not to metion that a full length 870 wingmaster is definatly not the most..convienient..thing to protect yourself with, it is better than nothing. and yes it seems that most states are in fact making progress in this and some are acctually considering (just talks nothing solid yet) about lifting the ban on OC, but of course Cali has to be "th foremost leader in gun restrictions" (cited by the ever "factual" brady campaign)

5. While they are the leader in "restrictions" with a close second in Illinois and third to New York IMHO, they are also the leader in environments where people NEED to be able to protect themselves. There are entire sections of the larger cities that have basically been 'given over" to the thugs and gangs, with decent people either leaving or locking their doors and staying inside while it's dark. I was looking at land on ebay, talking to the wife about getting a travel trailer when she gets her settlement, buying up about 120 acres or more and just staying the hell away from people, fence it and post it, plenty of room to shoot my mosin's!

6. 6842WX

6842WX Member

You and me share a similar set of opinions, the state has changed dramatically. It is completely different place now than it was just five years ago (and now I'm going off like an old man :D)! i wish you the best of luck with you're endeavors (i might follow suit in a couple of years)!!

7. The only way that the people of California (who care, obviously the thugs don't want people carrying) can influence this at all would be to just pack up and leave... the politicians there stopped listening to the people years ago, it's all about control and money to them. If they made medical marijuana legal there, it would be solely because of the financial benefits to them, not that they cared for the pains of the sick. That the SCOTUS has already confirmed AGAIN that the 2nd is for EVERYONE bears no influence on these people at all, I suspect that if anything does come from it that there will be a few NRA backed suits filed immediately for infringement on their rights.

8. 6842WX

6842WX Member

I hear you on your point but some just don't have that option to leave... i myself have inherited land in CA and i plan to keep it in the family, others that i know are stuck due to the housing market falling in and now they're upside down in their mortgage. As for the politicans...there used to be some that would actually listen to their constituents however as there political agendas come to light it seems more and more frequent that they listen less and less. I for one however will be the last one if necessary to continue the fight, which unfortunately as you have stated has become less and less of the popular option. i firmly believe in something my grandpa once told me, "we do not give up our freedoms to be safe" we must rely on ourselves to keep us safe! lol this got a lot more attention than i expected it to for sure, in a good way! i am actually glad there are still those that chose not to fold to the pressures of society and instead chose to retain the rights of those before us!

9. After living in California for 27 years I got fed up and sold my home and moved to Arizona. What a difference. Is it the ideal place to live ? Not really but that depends what you want from the location you live. As far as gun laws go Arizona is tough to beat. Like one person said however, moving is not always an option. Open carry in California ? I'll believe it when I see it.

10. 6842WX

6842WX Member

Yes it is hard to believe but it is lawful to open carry in California...there are of course restrictions to it 1) it has to be in a county that has a gross pop of <200,000
    2) it has to be in a proper retaining holster
    3) it has to be unloaded, the law actually states that "the ammo can not be attached to the handgun" this being said there are some who have gotten in trouble because they took it in the most literal sense, most keep there ammo on the same belt as the gun and since once removed the ammo and the gun are not "separated" i.e. attached by the belt.... :cantlook:

it is possible but highly strict (just like anything else in CA) and I'm sure that since it is so rare to see the LEO's might be misinformed on the subject...therefore leading to some hassle before the matter gets cleared up, you can even go to opencarry.org and check it out or google "the open carry movement in CA"

11. ehfudd

ehfudd Member

i gota gun,but it aint loaded. sad :cantlook:

12. 6842WX

6842WX Member

lol yes it is sad but true :cantlook:, however to avoid the "fine line" of the law i would carry with a mag simply in my opposite pocket...that way i cant be caught in any shenanigans of the belt "attaching" them together. However as has been said before a right unused is one that is lost....i dont want to lose what little the golden state has given me, lol

13. 6842WX

6842WX Member

Update on SB 661!
    it has been turned down in the senate and will be un-touchable untill next year.

another update on what i have already posted, after reading more thoroughly through the laws as they stand it [glow=red,2,300]IS[/glow] lawful to open carry in a county of more than 200,000, also due to the revalations of "people v. clark" (1996) you can carry the magazines on the same belt as the holster, it is however UNADVISED and unlawful to carrry said magazines in you pocket as they are considered "concealed" and in the ruling of "people v. Hale" (1974) it is considered as an essential componenet of the firearm and being "concealed" it makes the firearm partially concealed as well...kind of twisted but there it is

References: PC 12031, PC 12025, PC 12026.1 and PC 12026.2
    these are the definitions of a concealed firearm and as long as you follow these laws and remain in open carry it is leagal, i am sorry to all of those that may have been mis-lead in any of my posts, if you have any questions feel free to PM me of reply to this thread

14. ehfudd

ehfudd Member

well,lets hope it goes in a more positive direction from here. wouldn't hold your breath on that.

15. 6842WX

6842WX Member

lol i will try not to hold my breath too long (I'm not aquaman) but ill definitely be crossing my fingers!!! Let us all hope that everything starts making a turn for the betterment (just discovered a word!) of CA gun owners!!