Calling all motor heads

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by greg_r, Dec 18, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

One of the first things I asked was why don't we just torque down on it, if it breaks we will use the è-z out. I was told that the e-zine out would not work, it would just strip or straighten. My brother knows more than I do about it, I believe him.

2. greg_r

Yes, we were on the aluminum.

3. truck

truck Supporting Member

Try a mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Supposed to be the best penetrating oil there is.

4. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

It's called Hagen brew. Much better than nearly anything else... It wicks into the cracks like crazy. So will wax.

In my employment I've worked for a smaller regional airline. They have to deal with more electrolysis induced corrosion than everyone up to my current job.
    They had a trick for getting those bolts out. It's a special air hammer bit that has a hex shaft for a wrench, and an end that's a 3/8 or 1/2 square drive. Rattle it for a few seconds and all it takes is a finger on the end of the wrench.

Without buying that try using a warn out bit right on the head, after a touch of heat. While having an assistant spin the wrench. I'll bet it will come out in 5 minutes.

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

What a great thread! All kinds of great info!

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've got nothing new for you man. Had the same issue with the same motor in my old burban. Heat, pb or other penetration type oil, hammer, tighten, loosen, repeat.

7. greg_r

Not tried that, but I will. Thanks!

8. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I you can get your hands on some, go buy to "Kroil" it's the best stuff on the market... It's like the difference from PB Blaster to WD-40...

After that, a good red hot heating and then throw ice water on it, sometime that extreme shock will dislodge the bolt... After that I would go ahead and hit the top of the bolt heads with a hammer a couple good wacks and then get the strongest impact you have and pull the trigger... If it breaks the head then use a reverse drill bit and drill the centers out, a lot of times the heat/material removal from the bit lets the stud walk right up on the bit...

9. truck

truck Supporting Member

Here's a rundown on penetrating oils.

10. greg_r

A "red hot" heating will destroy the intake. Aluminum will not give you warning. It just fails.

11. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

When you finally get this thing apart and are putting it back together, do yourself a favor and get stainless steel bolts. Unless, of course, you never plan on taking it apart again.

12. ridgeryder

ridgeryder Member

W. N.C.
    Isn't that always the plan? :D

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

Neversieze! I have jar I stole from my dad back in 1978. I was going to will it to my nephew............come to think of it? Would it work as lube for an AK?

14. truck

truck Supporting Member

Noo you don't want to use neverseize! That stuff gets everywhere! Just use it on one little spot and before you know it it's all over the place. It's on your coffee cup, on the sun visor in your car, on your electric shaver, on your mailbox. It's nasty stuff!

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

Don't use it for spank lube and you won't have that problem...............

16. greg_r

I have a bit of neverseize. The company I used to work for painted the wheel studs with it. It works well.