Camo Versions

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by wingman, Sep 7, 2015.

1. wingman

wingman Member

I noticed that the Hi Point website is now showing camo versions of all their firearms. How durable are the camo finishes?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its hydro dipping. Itll last long enough that by time you notice the wear, you won't care.

3. wingman

wingman Member

Let me ask two more questions:

1. Does the camo finish protect the gun from corrosion, or is it still necessary to oil the external surface of the gun?

2. How does oil or cleaning products affect the camo finish?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I have never owned a firearm with a camo finish. The JCP, in woodland camo, is calling my name and I am trying to decide if I should answer.

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its plastic. It doesnt corride. The reciever cover is metal, but unless you find a way to really destroy the finish, it too isn't going to corrode any time soon.

You don't need to oil the outer surface.

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Now that sounds CRAZY!

I thought I was the only person these Hi Point guns talk to?

Now if you talk back to them, You WILL be CRAZY too?

6. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

when you say receiver cover, i assume you are talking about on a carbine. I can tell you first hand, even with that finish, if you don't oil it and let it sit with any amount of moisture you will start to see surface rust rather quickly. i always oil the metal parts that are exposed on my guns before i put them away. The last sentence of this statement is very bad advice, and could be dangerous to forum members if they actually believe it.

now if your'e talking about the slide on a HP handgun, that's something that won't rust very easily.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

What swamp do you live in? Better get a dehumidifier. I need one or two by the time winter gets here.

8. rippinryno

tell me about it, the damm humidity around here is bad. I use damprid and try to keep things dry, but it doesn't hurt to oil them babies up. It only took a couple times of me pulling out my guns and seeing a rusty fingerprint or some speckles of surface rust before i started in with my ritual of oiling before putting away.

9. TNTRAILERTRASH

MotorKote. Maybe not on the cammo, try dry silicone spray. Or a light spritz of WD40. I have an engine in the shop that has the cylinder bores exposed and we have humidity like Florida. No rust.

10. rippinryno

i just oil, any old oil that i have, gun oil, motor oil, etc.

about those cylinders being exposed, get some oil on that no doubt! those will surface rust in a matter of hours with no finish. are they plated?

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Ok moron. How is not putting oil on the outside of your gun dangerous? Ive never oiled mine in 3 years now, and noones gotten hurt from it. once again your stupidity is showing.

And genius, obviously the reciever cover is on a carbine. I know your dumb, but you must like being reminded of that fact.

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

That motor has been sitting there for years. At least 5. No the cylinders aren't plated. I had a short block I had from 2002 that was rebuilt and I never installed. I even had in storage in Florida for 2 years. It was in a bag. I would open it every once in a while a spray it with WD40. I sold it 2 years ago and it was rust free.

BTW 10,000 years and the slide on the pistols won't rust. There is no iron in there according to my magnet.

13. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

This ones been calling me and my matching 45 carbine !!!

Attached Files:

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

That one is screaming at me Albert! :eek: