Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, its a pay-week..Whats your favorite type of Camo, and why would it help in an End of the World event?

My man idea is Earth tones, especially OD. Its not too militaristic, and I believe would help me get out without drawing attention.

Your suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I always like the regular old US woodland from the surplus store. It works great against turkeys, so I can only imagine it would work well on people.

A lot of people will drop hundreds of dollars on the latest real tree stuff every year. But I deer and turkey with mostly stuff from the surplus store, and some camo overalls I got a k-mart about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The thing to think about is how to use shadows......thats how nature does it.......Think about whitetail, their camo does not seem the most effective, yet they are hard as **** to see.....Stillness and shadows

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
"break-it-up" that's the key far as I'm concerned.

I like a ghillie suit & they're easy to make, but can be cumbersome. I made some leggings for yote huntin'... if i sit behind these knees w/my face covered i more-or-less disappear.

that pic was for sumthin else, but it shows how easy my face gives me away & how my silhouette is crisp against the dark tree - both no-no's... Like Lailr said: use shadows......thats how nature does it

and UGLY (ie: cheap) all of this is fm Wally's clearnace racks except the bits of twine & burlap in my ghillie. Even the camo on my SKS is just ugly spraypaint & a few stolen house plant leaves.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Winter too... pulled a bed-sheet fm the closet (shhh, don't tell m'honey) & smacked it with $2-3 of dies fm Wally's and this is KILLER against squirrels. Even when they see my head they have no fear cuz I don't seem to pose a threat, not big enough to eat them?? :angel: till my muzzle pokes-out... :devilsidesmile:

crappy pic, dang phone...

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I can't figure out if you are making fun of turkeys, or complementing humans..... :laugh:
Neither, turkey's can't smell but they make up for it with super eyesight. In my turkey garb with a face mask I think it would be easier to sneak within shooting distance of a human than a turkey. Assuming of course he wasn't knowing he was being hunted. That changes things a little.

·
Registered
166 Posts
my favorite is cabelas leafy wear it looks like a ghille suit and its lightweight so you can wear it over your clothes in any weather

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
The thing to think about is how to use shadows......thats how nature does it.......Think about whitetail, their camo does not seem the most effective, yet they are hard as **** to see.....Stillness and shadows
Ditto. Shadows, leaves, brush, trees, gullies, etc. I've been able to walk right up to people that way without wearing any "great" camo.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"break-it-up" that's the key far as I'm concerned.

I like a ghillie suit & they're easy to make, but can be cumbersome. I made some leggings for yote huntin'... if i sit behind these knees w/my face covered i more-or-less disappear.

that pic was for sumthin else, but it shows how easy my face gives me away & how my silhouette is crisp against the dark tree - both no-no's... Like Lailr said: use shadows......thats how nature does it

and UGLY (ie: cheap) all of this is fm Wally's clearnace racks except the bits of twine & burlap in my ghillie. Even the camo on my SKS is just ugly spraypaint & a few stolen house plant leaves.
Hey Coyote, that hat looks familar-->

Just kiddin man love the SKS, thanks for the great ideas!

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
LOL Swifty, where'd you get that pic of my dad??!? :D
obviously his ghillie is for more of an urban setting. ha!

·
Banned
1,408 Posts
I'll have to get my Ghillie suit out and get a pic. I thought I had one but cannot find it. Wife probably filed it under one of the nature photo's we've got cause she couldn't see me in the pic!! :D :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I read a while back about the Russians using a thing called a Skat-O.

Its camo/coveralls that are thin like a rainsuit (awesome for this hot summer), it doubles as a chemical suit, comes in a green reed or urban reed pattern, and folds up into nothing so you can stash one in the car or the BOB, anywhere.. I just can't find any..

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Ummmmm.... this is a funny thread....

The ghillie suit idea is too good!

Digressing for a moment, though...

I have often wondered if any camo really works against any game that can smell... or hear.... I suppose it must. Humans are by nature smelly noisy things to most of nature's creatures. That's why we need guns, bows, etc. in the first place. I bet the best thing to do would be to go to the woods where you're gonna hunt most often, take a picture, and use those shades to shade khaki cargo pants and shirts. That might be the cheapest way to get camo suited to your area.

But I'm just talking. I confess i really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to camo. I'm more of a hide in plain sight person myself.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Ummmmm.... this is a funny thread....

The ghillie suit idea is too good!

Digressing for a moment, though...

I have often wondered if any camo really works against any game that can smell... or hear.... I suppose it must. Humans are by nature smelly noisy things to most of nature's creatures. That's why we need guns, bows, etc. in the first place. I bet the best thing to do would be to go to the woods where you're gonna hunt most often, take a picture, and use those shades to shade khaki cargo pants and shirts. That might be the cheapest way to get camo suited to your area.

But I'm just talking. I confess i really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to camo. I'm more of a hide in plain sight person myself.
You got it right with taking pictures of where you're hunting, that's how camo patterns are developed.

It's not really about camo from head to toe for me, it's more about breaking up lines/patterns and limiting/eliminating movement. I can't even count the times I've been busted by a wily old doe when drawing back my flying dagger of death (arrow) or last season when I spooked a buck I had been after for about 3 weeks because I just had to turn a little further to the right to get a little more comfortable shooting position...cuss...kick ground...cuss...spit...swear off hunting forever.

As far as an EOTW situation. I'm not heading out with the camo on, just jeans, flannel, and boots...blending

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.