Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
252 Posts
"Bushcraft" was my all time fave when I was a teenager. It's obviously a newer edition now. Mine was published in 1978. Good stuff.

I'd also recommend Any of the NOLS books. There are topics on everything from first aid, cooking, navigation, edible plants. I have been a trained NOLS guy since 1989. I am a wilderness first responder and NOLS training got me started.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I was on Amazon looking for the SAS Survival book and I noticed this book:

Camping & Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book by Paul Tawrell.

All of the reviews are 5 star reviews, but $35 is a lot of $$ for any book. Since we Hi-Point owners are a frugal bunch, I just wanted to see if anyone owns it and recommends it.

If I do end up getting it I'll post a review.

Another book that caught my eye: Wilderness Evasion: A Guide To Hiding Out and Eluding Pursuit in Remote Areas.
Even the used ones are $23+, but the book has 1080 pages. :shock:
Should cover just about everything.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I have Bushcraft and it is real good. I have the SAS survival book in my bag along with a welding (cheater lense) .
Spot

·
Registered
772 Posts
Since I couldn't find a USMC Survival manual, I had to settle for the US Army Survival Manual instead. It seems to cover a lot of the topics people would need to survive in most wilderness situations. It was published in 1991 by Gallery Books.

It's a little weak on SHTF and TEOTWAWKI scenarios but the general knowledge it provides is better than the trial and error method of learning things. :lol:

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
I have the newer version of the army manual....published 2002.....it covers more than i will ever encounter in a survival situation.....even has some edible plant ideas in it

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
A word of caution , be careful with ediable plants until you are 110% sure of what you are eating , one mistake and you could get real sick or worse.
Also you must start slowly eating wild plants , because your system is not used to them and it will give you the squirts. :wink:
Spot

·
Registered
252 Posts
edible plants

Correct, and thats why i recommend reading about them. There is also a field guide called "Nature Craft" which is a quick identifier for edibles in N America with preparation guide.
Education will also show you how to prevent the squirts (and plants that help) , but more scary is getting impacted. I had a buddy that could not poop for 4 days on a big wall climb- thats painful.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was never a fan of Mil manuals. The are poorly written and are based on "government agency recommendations"- It's like Political Correctness for books. Sometimes the topic is either too general or way too specific to bureaucratic operations- that the whole foundation is lost in regulating me to death, when i actually just want to find out which friggin' plants i can eat.

The books I stated above have been tested in the field for over 20 years, without the burden of a gov't filter, and have responded to the actual techniques, terrain, and realities of survival. Quick access to parts you need is paramount. Do you really want to hunt for section 10.23.6.B- subsection 23.5.1 when your kid has eaten a strange berry?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
. . . The are poorly written and . . .
I have always liked the Air Force survival manual. It is anything but poorly written and has a ton of great material.

Matt

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
vallen,

Have you read all of the military manuals yourself or just a few and then extrapolating to the rest from there?

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You do not have to read all of them to see gross errors. Every mill manual about woodcraft I have ever picked up was a pos. That includes the SAS manual as well as all the U.S. volumes.

Publication date means nothing on mill manuals, they are all reprints, mostly of WWII editions.

No single volume is usable world wide or even over one continent.

Even new commercial books are geographically specific and nearly unusable outside their specified habitat.

Even going from the eastern U.S. to the mid west will give you different plant and anamil species and issues, along with climate concerns, water recource problems...

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
You do not have to read all of them to see gross errors. . .
My mistake, sorry. I was always of the opinion that you have to actually be familiar with something before you (attempt to) speak intelligently about it. Go figure.

Matt

·
Registered
252 Posts
vallen,

Have you read all of the military manuals yourself or just a few and then extrapolating to the rest from there?

Matt
I have read all of the US Government Issue Survival Manuals. I am a WFR and former instructor with NOLS.
so no, i am not talking out of my a$$.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I'm glad to see that you've read them all and I will plead ignorance as to what WFR & NOLS stand for. I still will stand by my opinion
that the Air Force survival manual (the early 80s was when I obtained my copy from the squadron Life Support shop) was well written.
It probably had too much information in it though seeing as it was many hundreds of 8" x 11" pages long.

Matt

·
Registered
252 Posts
WFR= Wilderness First Responder
NOLS= National Outdoor Leadership School

If you have ever practiced some of the descriptions and techniques spelled out in the AF Survival Manual (We have), you will see how flawed they are.
In fact, many of the books I recommended were written in response to the BAD information in mil manuals. It's sad that our guys are getting deployed with crappy information, not to mention the geographic discrepancies.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts