Can I get some advice on polishing my slide

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Nu-Point, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Nu-Point

Nu-Point Member

I found these pictures and I want to polish my slide to look exactly like this?

What do I need? What should I do? How long will it take?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's a factory job. It's plated.

If you want that, you need to take it to someone that does plating, it's not a stripped and polished slide.

3. lsi1

lsi1 Member

short answer don't.

Longer answer sandpaper in progressively smaller grits. Start around 320 end around 3000 or better then get s polishing wheel or cloth and use some mothers mag and alluminum wheel polish for the shine.

I did this to a glock 17 police trade in I bought a couple years back that was beaten up on outside but perfect inside. It took hours of work and I spent so much time staring at it making it good that even today I still see every little imperfection in it even though other people who look at it do not.

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

The gun in your picture is a polish job, because HP didn't make a Nickel C9. I have sent several slides off to be Nickel plated, cost was $75 each. The polished slides tarnish very quickly & it takes a lot of work to maintain them & make them look nice. Here is an original for sale, save yourself some time & aggravation?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=522034679

5. MachoMelvin

These are the 2 slides I had Nickel plated.

Attached Files:

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Use Bing & Lube.

7. MachoMelvin

His picture is of a C9, it is a polish job or somebody had it nickel plated?

8. Nu-Point

Nu-Point Member

Where'd you get it done for $75?

9. MachoMelvin

Metal Brite in Dayton, Ohio. They will receive & return ship, any job.

Metal Brite
    Address: 2445 Neff Rd. Dayton, Ohio 45414
    Phone: (937) 278-9739

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Or is it like my CF 380?;)

You know...they REALLY don't know exactly what they put out, right?

[​IMG]

11. Nu-Point

Nu-Point Member

Thank you, I've sent an email, do you think it would be the same quality of the one in the OP?

12. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

I really like the nickel plated Hi Points. I polished the slide on a jcp40 and it turned out pretty nice, but it isn't as nice as the model c nickel plated that I got a month ago. My 40 needs a little TLC right now. Never having to polish the nickel plating to make them shine is what is great about them.

13. MachoMelvin

I just picked up a Nickel plated Iberia-40 frame & slide yesterday. They have exceeded my expectations everytime I have used them!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  14. MachoMelvin

Attached Files:

15. Melvin's getting nickeled and dimed to death. :D

16. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

You could sand then polish the whole slide (progressively smaller grit followed by Mothers Mag). Then use a bit of vinegar on cloth to darken selected areas for a nice contrast. I went that route with my JCP and it's half way decent.

17. 0311

0311 Member

Wondering how the metal would take a soda or extra fine sand blast.

18. MachoMelvin

I'm not sure what they use, but the Nickel platting company sandblast the slides before they plate them. Looks good to me?

19. lsi1

lsi1 Member

the sand and soda will make it shiney and take the finish off but will create more pitting and imperfections that will look like crap until they are filled by a coating process or removed via sanding away metal.

20. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

You bead blast firearms. ;)