Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can I open carry at any of these places I just listed?

Also, can I keep my shotgun loaded in my passenger seat?
Just curious.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Yes, you can carry in all those places you listed, but if informed by the business that they don't allow firearms you have to leave and either stow your firearm in your vehicle or take your business elsewhere. I don't really know about the shotgun thing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you can carry in all those places you listed, but if informed by the business that they don't allow firearms you have to leave and either stow your firearm in your vehicle or take your business elsewhere. I don't really know about the shotgun thing.
Sweet.
I have been wanting to OC, but I am afraid of getting in trouble for going somewhere that I shouldnt.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Here you go. Although baring a veto by the Governor, #1 will no longer be in effect in about 90 days. From: http://www.blackwolfccw.com/az_ccw_info

Places that Firearms are PROHIBITED or RESTRICTED (with or without a CCW permit)

Businesses serving alcohol on the premises, "Bars / Restauraunts".
Polling places on election days.
School grounds.
Nuclear & Hydro-Electric generating stations.
Military installations.
Indian reservations.
Game preserves.
Correctional / Jail facilities.
Federal Facilities, (cannot be prosected for doing so if unless the facility is posted).
Airports (security check points and beyond).
Private / Public establishments or events when asked by the operator / sponsor / agent.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
autosurgeon's link is very informative, though I would also pursue the website of the state and verify.
With the license for me, yes I can carry the shotgun loaded and chambered. I can also carry in bars, liquor stores, post offices, etc.
My limits are Federal buildings and schools basically, unless prominently posted and labeled at each available entry/exit point, or specifically asked by the manager/owner to remove it.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
autosurgeon's link is very informative, though I would also pursue the website of the state and verify.
With the license for me, yes I can carry the shotgun loaded and chambered. I can also carry in bars, liquor stores, post offices, etc.
My limits are Federal buildings and schools basically, unless prominently posted and labeled at each available entry/exit point, or specifically asked by the manager/owner to remove it.
The Post office is a federal building.

·
Banned
401 Posts
You can't carry legally in a post office, that is a Federal reservation and as such is prohibited to carry a firearm..Unless you have some specal classification, you can't carry in a post office...

Dp

·
Registered
615 Posts
The Postal Service is a private entity and not part of the Federal Government; also its employees are definitely NOT federal employees.
They are bound by federal laws just as we are, but I have, and do carry in a Post office. I've spoken with the postmaster on this and have not been rejected.
Isolated case? maybe. Postmaster in charge has no issue with it? again maybe.
YMMV and I could be wrong and breaking the law as such, but then so is the postmaster who allows me to do so. We have no placarding on post offices to the effect of "no firearms allowed".

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'll also submit this:
Here's what the US Code has to say about "Federal Facilities" and carrying weapons in them.
"§ 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to-
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

(e)
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).
(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
(2) The term "dangerous weapon" means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length.
(3) The term "Federal court facility" means the courtroom, judges' chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be. "

I'm a lawful gun owner carrying legally for a lawful purpose. To protect myself from some patron who may in fact "go postal" in my presence.
Courts buildings and such have security, both electronic and human, post offices do not afford such "luxuries".

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
39 USC 410. Application of other laws

Release date: 2003-06-24

(a) Except as provided by subsection (b) of this section, and except as otherwise provided in this title or insofar as such laws remain in force as rules or regulations of the Postal Service, no Federal law dealing with public or Federal contracts, property, works, officers, employees, budgets, or funds, including the provisions of chapters 5 and 7 of title 5, shall apply to the exercise of the powers of the Postal Service.

(b) The following provisions shall apply to the Postal Service:

(1) section 552 (public information), section 552a (records about individuals), section 552b (open meetings), section 3102 (employment of personal assistants for blind, deaf, or otherwise handicapped employees), section 3110 (restrictions on employment of relatives), section 3333 and chapters 72 (antidiscrimination; right to petition Congress) and 73 (suitability, security, and conduct of employees), section 5520 (withholding city income or employment taxes), and section 5532 (dual pay) of title 5, except that no regulation issued under such chapters or section shall apply to the Postal Service unless expressly made applicable;

(2) all provisions of title 18 dealing with the Postal Service, the mails, and officers or employees of the Government of the United States;
So, that section of Title 18 doesn't apply to the post office.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well Mike, I guess that would be a matter of argument for another day and time. Text, be it in written into law or simply posted on a website, will, and has always been, argued to fit the needs, thoughts, and agendas of the persons arguing. Calling something black or white is too easy for folks to fail in an argument, so they they tend to make it a grey area in an effort to justify an interpretation of the same text that more closely fits how they feel or think.

We can agree to disagree here, but the fact is, I have and do carry in a post office branch openly.
In an effort to hopefully let this thread get back on topic and away from the single subject it seems to leading toward, I'll be glad to engage further in this conversation provided it becomes it's own thread.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
before i came to that conclusion, i'd want to see some evidence that people who open carry are attacked more often than regular people. If i were a criminal, i think would pretty much avoid anyone with a gun. there are too many other easier targets out there.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Well said Bomber... this has been discussed ad nauseum on opencarry.org and as of today we still have not been able to find one legit instance where a citizen who is OCing has been attacked by another citizen.

Citizens attacked by cops yes.... Security guard in Indiana yes... however security guards are standing in the same place day after day so that give the BG time to plan an attack.

As for the Cops well some of them are just overstuffed idiots who seem to have forgotten the purpose of a BUG... all I can say is they better hope I see the badge...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well said Bomber... this has been discussed ad nauseum on opencarry.org and as of today we still have not been able to find one legit instance where a citizen who is OCing has been attacked by another citizen.

Citizens attacked by cops yes.... Security guard in Indiana yes... however security guards are standing in the same place day after day so that give the BG time to plan an attack.

As for the Cops well some of them are just overstuffed idiots who seem to have forgotten the purpose of a BUG... all I can say is they better hope I see the badge...
Or (as here in Memphis,TN) are prohibited by department regulations from carrying anything other than the dept issued firearm. That includes prohibitions against a BUG, effing moronic regulation if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Don't you find yourself a bit of a target if you open carry or am i just paraniod. I don't want BG's to know i'm packing; i want to blend in with the sheeple.
Lol...but that's not "COOL!!!" (note the sarcasm)

And for the record, I agree 100%. In my opinion, open carry is just stupid and begging for trouble.

·
Registered
34 Posts
before i came to that conclusion, i'd want to see some evidence that people who open carry are attacked more often than regular people. If i were a criminal, i think would pretty much avoid anyone with a gun. there are too many other easier targets out there.
I understand your logic, but i just don't want to be the first statistic.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.