Can you dry fire a Hi Point?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by jbear, Aug 7, 2015.

1. jbear

jbear Member

Looked in the stickys but didn't find anything.

2. I have and mine still works but snap-caps are the way to go

3. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    The dry fire "no no" is primarily with rim fire guns.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Some center-fire handguns are not a good idea to dry fire either for various reasons. Kel Tec PF9 can hammer the rear of the firing pin into the firing-pin-retaining-screw and damage the threads if dry fired. The CZ-52 frequently had brittle stock firing pins and dry firing could break the firing pin because the forward shoulder of the firing pin impacts into the rear shoulder of the firing pin aperture in the slide.

Some firing pins with a forward shoulder will impact the rear shoulder of the firing pin aperture in the slide (inside the firing pin channel), which can peen, wear, crack, or otherwise damage either the material of the slide at the aperture or the firing pin itself. Looking at the design of the firing pin on the HP handguns, I don't think that this is a particular problem.

It should damage nothing to dry fire.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

If dry firing were bad for Hi Point pistols, mine would have died long ago.

6. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    I took the mag safety out of my C9 Comp for this very reason. I've never used snap caps.

7. elt51932

elt51932 Member

Yes, it won't harm the gun at all.

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

Which was completely unnecesary for this.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

T he blocked us remember.

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

I don't care if he can see it. Everyone else can see it was completely pointless and might disregard his advise based on it serving absolutely no purpose.

11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    He got real tired of removing the mag to rack it and inserting it to fire. You'd think an armorer of Hi-Point firearms would know to just pull the mag out a fraction of an inch. Guess they didn't teach that at armory school?

12. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Yes. It is bad. It may not destroy the Solar System; however, you may knock the planet Mercury out of its orbit.:D

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    The Death Star they found or the moon scheduled to explode on Halloween?

14. talon

talon the banned wagon

Yea, hes a professional.

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

16. moona11

OK SWAGA that was a good one.:-D

17. Alienspy

Alienspy Member

No weapon should ever need dry fired. You ever throw your arm as if throwing a ball but nothing is in your hand? Remember the pain? (If you have an arm) Dry firing does the same to the firing pin of a firearm or the limbs of a bow. Just don't do it. Why would you want to? Use a pencil in the barrel fit the firing pin to at least hit the eraser.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Define "need."

My arm isn't made of steel alloy.

Several good reasons. The first would be to release the firing pin and spring pressure. Some guns even require this before disassembly. Another would be to rack up trigger practice without burning up expensive ammunition. Another would be as part of a function check on the firearm.

Snap Caps are better.

I think someone had a home-brew snap cap design for people who reload. My memory is hazy but I think it was something like 1) drill holes in the brass or otherwise indelibly mark it 2) seat the bullet using permanent glue and/or heavy crimp so it won't set back from multiple rechamberings 3) fill the primer pocket with hard type high temp hot glue (or something else, maybe).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. moona11

I even use brass blueing to help people not mix them up. I use old primers

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

How well do they last compared to commercial snap caps?

Peace favor your sword mobile