Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about cannons? My uncle has a replica that's supposed to be able to fire, but we are a little scared of it. He's had it for years, it's a little rusty.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Firend of mine is in the "Nevada Light Artillery". They have meets and shoot canons couple times a year. All I know is that, for them, the canon bore size determines rank and the canons aren't cheap. Other than that, can't help you.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Don't know a thing about them but I an interested in getting a mortar. My first thought on your cannon would be a rural location for a test. Second thought would be a looooooong fuse.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He lives about 2 hours away, I'll have to call him and ask, but I think it's 5-6 in thick, have no idea on bore,

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I used to do civil war artilery reenacting - I may be able to help.

Need to know the following:

1. HomeMade replica or from a manufacturer of replicas? (if so, who)
2. size of Bore?
3. what is it made of? (Steel, iron, bronze?)
4. do you have any equipment (rammers, ect?)

You must be very careful - these can be deadly if exact safety procedures are not used.

Some links:
http://www.civilwarnews.com/artillerysafety.htm

http://www.ncwaa.com/

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
BP cannons are nothing tp play with unless you know what you are doing. more than a few civil war re-enactors have been killed by exploding cannons over the years.

SW
and in nearly all instances, they were either not following proper procedures or were bubba's with homemade pipe bombs (that they called cannons)

there are a very strict set of loading and safety procedures that must be followed in order to fire them.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
At the range I'm a member of, there are some old timers out there on the 50 yard pistol range with some BP cannons. Man, those things are COOL! I was watching this one guy shoot his, and wow, that thing was accurate!!!! He had 10 shots on target with 4 in the bull at 50 yards... He's been building and shooting small cannons professionally and recreationally for years though, so he knows what' hes doing for sure.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
At the range I'm a member of, there are some old timers out there on the 50 yard pistol range with some BP cannons. Man, those things are COOL! I was watching this one guy shoot his, and wow, that thing was accurate!!!! He had 10 shots on target with 4 in the bull at 50 yards... He's been building and shooting small cannons professionally and recreationally for years though, so he knows what' hes doing for sure.
Pistol Range???? not much of a cannon.(Just joking) Try a 3" ordinace rifle, 600 yards , 3' zink round, 1 lb of powder - it's quite a thrill to see a 2,000 lb artillery piece recoil 6-8' and hear the sound of the round going downrange and seeing it hit the target 1-2 seconds after firing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts