Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading reviews and doing some homework. I am a Ruger fan. Been wanting another new Ruger semi auto 9mm for a while now, but can't decide between the SR9 and the P95. I really want to like the SR9, but am reading a lot of stories about peening on the rear part of the barrel. The P95 seems like a better gun to me because of being DA/SA, but the SR9 feels sooo good in the hand.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
As a matter of fact, we own both in our home. If cash is an issue, I'd say go the P95 route. It is a proven platform that is built like a tank. If you have a little more $ to invest and prefer a thinner and lighter gun, go with the SR9. Both are comparable in size (length anyway), recoil is about the same for both, the magazine capacities are similar (15 for P95 vs. 17 for SR9) and accuracy is similar as well.
The P95 can be had with either fixed or adjustable sights, while the SR9 comes exclusively with adjustable sights.

The P95 has always functioned very smoothly. It took a while for my SR9 too "loosen up" after firing it a few times. It is much easier to move the slide now than when I first bought it. I like that it has a safety and a loaded chamber indicator and obviously the ergonomics are really good.

Our P95 is an older version that doesn't have the textured grip or the light rail. I would say that you would be very happy with a newer P95 that has these upgrades as long as you don't mind a bulkier gun. I put a viridian green laser on my SR9 that looks REALLY menacing at night and is super bright.

I like both, but they have different characteristics so you have to decide which one suits your needs best.

P.S. We found a couple of 30 round magazines that fit the P95, which is pretty cool! ;)

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you had your SR9? IS it a post recall model? HAve you noticed any peening where the slide and the barrel meet?

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
I have a P89 and really like it. A friend of mine from work has the SR9 post recall. It has been back to Ruger though for the loaded chamber indicator failure and prior to that problems with trigger resetting after a shot and what seemed like weak firing. I thought I could see the bullet actually leaving the barrel and go to the target. Shades of Super vision !!
The loaded chamber indicator failed shortly there after. It was broken and pointing straight up. Ruger changed the barrel, trigger mec, safety, chamber indicator and some other parts. The gun seemed to be working better than ever untill last time at the range. He had what seemed to be a double fire. It only did it once, but that might be more than enough times for that. Untill then he was extremely happy with the returned gun and has put many a round through it.

I also think it is not too late for the Viridian Green laser/holster deal for $150 from Viridian.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How long have you had your SR9? IS it a post recall model? HAve you noticed any peening where the slide and the barrel meet?
I've had the SR9 for about 8 months. It was a new manufacture post recall, therefore it was built at the factory with the post-recall upgrades. I will have to check into the possibility of peening but I am unaware of it as of now. As I mentioned earlier, the gun was very "tight" when it was brand new. After some use, the parts loosened up a bit and it is easier to pull the slide, and it functions very well.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided to go with the P95. Stainless model. Should be here Wed.

I had a P85DC once upon a time, and loved it. I hope this gun is at least as good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Ruger P95DC and the SR9. Both seem to be great weapons. The SR9 was very tight at 1st, but after a few hundred rounds it has loosened up and works great. I have not noticed any problems, peening so far. What should I be looking for in this regard? The P95 has worked great from the 1s day I bought it. No problems at all.
I also bought the Viridian green laser for the SR9 and have had nothing but trouble with it so far. The 1st one I was sent, the battery door would not stay closed at all. I sent it back and they sent me another one, and the battery door still comes open, but not every time I fire it. Has anyone else had this problem with the laser for the SR9?

Thanks,

Old_Dog

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
I have a Ruger P95DC and the SR9. Both seem to be great weapons. The SR9 was very tight at 1st, but after a few hundred rounds it has loosened up and works great. I have not noticed any problems, peening so far. What should I be looking for in this regard? The P95 has worked great from the 1s day I bought it. No problems at all.
I also bought the Viridian green laser for the SR9 and have had nothing but trouble with it so far. The 1st one I was sent, the battery door would not stay closed at all. I sent it back and they sent me another one, and the battery door still comes open, but not every time I fire it. Has anyone else had this problem with the laser for the SR9?

Thanks,

Old_Dog
I had the same problem with the viridian. I found that by making sure the battery door latch is fully enaged better results were obtained.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I was debating SR9 vs. XDm for a few months... I decided to spend more and get the XDm and have not regretted it. One of the reasons I went that route was because of the reports I was hearing about the barrel peening. It's a nice sleek gun, but I'll wait until I see a used one for $300 or less to pick it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts