Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i have been dealing with a gov. group in my area for over a year now and i have work with them on all that they have asked me to do after all this time they are now going after my homes size and my pets (1 Newfoundland lab mix 1 beagle 1 small mutt and a cat only one that is in the house) all are health and friendly so when did they pass a law limiting the number of pets a person can have

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
I know landlords can restrict it, I've never heard of this before...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
division of family services and no theres not a law on it they just act like they are above the law

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you are renting your house, your landlord makes the rules. If you own your house, then your at the mercy of the state. And each city has it's own regulations, the state may allow you to own "exotic" pets as long as they were legally purchased, their needs are met, and you won't let them go into the local area. But the city may so "Nope, not within city limits"

I currently have 7 animals in my house for the record, 5 of them are "exotics"

·
Registered
602 Posts
Then you are stuck dealing with the remnants of knee jerk over reaction to most probably some local news story about an "Animal Hoarder", who had 50 cats in a one bedroom apartment.

If you own, tell them to shove it. Especially if you are in an unincorporated rural area.

You can't really be rural if you are within some city limits and the city is incorporated. You may think of it as Rural, but it may be within the purview of ordinances and so on.

If you are within city limits of some kind, talk to an attorney and see if you can file for an exception or exemption. If the ordinance is recent, then you can request exemption for pre-existing situation. If the ordinance is grounded and enforced then you could still try to request an exemption by getting proof that your situation is an exception to the circumstances the ordinance is trying to prevent.

Example. I am 382 feet outside of the city limits for the city that my mailing address is listed as. So technically I live in an unincorporated rural area.

A police officer lives 1100 feet inside the city limits of the same city I am talking about. In that city you can't discharge a firearm. In my unincorporated area, I can.
This officer has a 5 acre little farm, between to very large hills. He has no neighbors in front of behind and his closest neighbor is 260 feet vertically from his property.

He has an exemption for discharging firearms on his property because he used the USGS elevation maps, and his status as a law enforcement officer to prove that he has reasonable reason to shoot regularly, reasonable expectation for safety of the community, and proof that his claims are legitimate in the form of survey maps and letters signed and notarized by his superiors and neighbors.

Get your vet to sign a notarized letter stating your animals health and living conditions are well within legal and ethical standards, prove you have intent to properly care for the animals in all prescribed ways, and notarized letters from neighbors, not relatives, that you take care of your animals an that they have low potential to be an annoyance to the community.

Or just ignore them. :devilsidesmile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts