Car smarts (or, how well do you know your car)?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by nicadflyer, Feb 21, 2008.

1. A few days ago I was having some work done at my local garage.

A lady came in and asked for a seven-hundred-ten.

We all looked at each other and another customer asked, 'What is a seven-hundred-ten?'

She replied, 'You know, the little piece in the middle of the engine, I've lost it and need a new one...'She mentioned that she did not know exactly what it was, but this piece had always been there.

The mechanic gave her a piece of paper and a pen and asked her to draw what the piece looked like.

She drew a circle and in the middle of it wrote 710.

He then took her over to another car which had its hood up and asked, 'is there a 710 on this car?'

She pointed and said, 'Of course, it's right there.'

If you're not sure what a 710 is, scroll down...

[​IMG]

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Wow,
    I like how you made it seem like this was your shop... I personally like the "30oz" tail light joke a little bit better. :lol:

3. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

that's pretty good...I hadn't seen that one before. lol

4. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I had a young lady come into a fuel stop on I95 [Maine Turnpike] in 1984 Her engine was rapping real bad and she shut the engine off and asked me what could be making the noise. I checked her oil level....bone dry. I put 4 and a half quarts in it till it read full on the stick. She replied "But the oil gauge in the car said it was full!" She thought the oil pressure gauge was like her gas gauge after explaining how to check and WHEN to check her oil I told her to have her oil and filter changed very soon as well and she went on her merry way.....Oh and YES she was a blond also.

5. This is a joke...or is it. To many people do not know where the the oil fill, dip stick, etc are under the hood. In fact a lot of people don't know how to open the hood of their vehicle. When I taught driving it was required of the student to show me where these "points of interest" were.
    I had one student who did not know where the ignition key went, yes she was blond and 32 years old. She became a very good driver which answers the question "can you teach an old blond new things."

6. neothespian

neothespian Member

The local BMW/Vespa dealer in Chander has ALOT of people who really don't know how to function in modern society. Some of the problems they have seen:

-A BV500 (500cc touring scooter...bigger than a BMW FS650!) that used bicycle tire patch kits on 5 seperate places

-Multiple dead 50cc to 150cc scooters that were seized because of the age old question: "OH, you mean you have to change the oil in these things?"

-One lady who is STILL fighting Piaggio to get her money back on her bike when her CVT went out, insisting "There IS no transmission. It doesn't have a stickshift!"

-About 60% of the people who buy scooters there get notices from the dealer and the state when they don't have a motorcycle licence. It seems that the average person thinks that a scooter doesn't need any form of driver's licence and get shocked when the dealer won't sell them one without one!

-3 bikes have come in filled with Diesel fuel, with one rider claiming "Stupid mistake", which is understandable. But the other two insisted that they were told to do it "Because this stuff gets better mileage...at least that's what the website says"

-One ET2 is still sitting in the shop, looking like it wrestled with an SUV. It seems some yuppie bought one for his SEVEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER to ride to school!

Idiots abound in the auto world.

7. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio

8. Yes, yes they are--$5.99 LOL

I haven't thought about KaleCo in a long time--good stuff!

9. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I kid you NOT! This is a true story and will swear on a stack of Bibles.

10. neothespian

neothespian Member

I just noticed shooter: The DAMNED DIRTY APE avatar is back :D

Sorry...just love the old Planet of the Apes series.

Carry on, hijack done.