Carbine 101?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by sarahsmom, Jul 21, 2015.

1. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I grew up around shotguns and rifles - but no semiautomatic ones. Reading the carbine threads I have picked up a little info - but was wondering if their is a good info source that could be recommended to give me a crash course on them. (Hopefully future carbine owner).

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, here. Ask away, we can pretty much answer anything. I'm a carbine guy myself.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

There is no 101 carbine. Only the 995, 3895, 4095 or 4595. ;)

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

You gotta get a carbine! You will love it!

Fun fun fun!

5. sarahsmom

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's a lot like a pistol, except you can put your left hand on the forend, and tuck the buttstock into your shoulder, up high so you don't have to turn your head sideways to get a cheek weld.

Cheek weld is how you put your face against the buttstock, so you can look through the peep sight, or red dot.

Like this.

[​IMG]

Too low...

[​IMG]

About right

[​IMG]

7. sarahsmom

:rolleyes:
    I mainly wanted a reference regarding names of parts and some of the common modification parts and reasons behind them. I have been looking at manuals from mom which help a little. Just want to learn it all now, which I know is impossible. :(

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah...just buy it, and shoot it, then, after a bit, you can customize and tweak.:)

9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Most modifications are more for fun than practicality. Finding a good optic and/or an aftermarket iron sight for the carbine is really about the most practical modification to make. If you want to use it at night, a light and/or a good laser will help, too. Go with those, first, before you add anything to it.

Of course, the best thing to do is to just use it in its stock configuration, for awhile, before you add a bunch of stuff to it. After you use it for awhile, you will have a better idea of what you will want to change on it.

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I went all tacticool on my 4095 when I first got it. Scoped it, co-witnessed an RDS to the stock irons, chopped the rear sight to let the RDS sit closer to it and keep more rail open, flashlight, foregrip, laser, single-point sling, compensator, dual mag holder for the stock, bipod, basically every drop-in bolt-on mod MOM sells.

I took 75% of that sh*t off. It added weight, looked cool as hell, and did absolutely nothing toward the actual function of the rifle.

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Learn to shoot it before you mod it.

12. sarahsmom

Lol! I am just trying to learn all the terminology so I can understand the threads I read for now - and hopefully I will have one of my own SOMEDAY!

13. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Sarahsmom, think of the carbine as an oversized semi-auto 22. Which in the case of the Hi Point it isn't far from the truth. The bolt takes the place of the slide that is on the pistol and the receiver holds everything together.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You mean the Breech Block, right? <ducking>
    :stir: :rofl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  15. sarahsmom

Thanks, Steve - that answers one question I had that the diagram didn't help me with - and that is what the bolt was. I've shot bolt action rifles before - but couldn't find one by looking at pics on the semi-auto ones. I still can't figure out what the charger is, either - :what:

16. sarahsmom

Well after googling diagrams, pics, and videos I feel I have more of a clue about semi auto carbines and there parts. So the charging handle IS the bolt (which is wierdly on the left side). I feel a little better equipped to understanding the carbine threads better, and also am getting a clue of what I want to do to modify a 995ts if and when I can ever get one.
    :)

17. Sarahsmom, for what it's worth, I've let my daughter shoot my 995 "Monkey Gun" and my 995TS. She definitely prefers the TS stock with the springy butt stock.

Later on, my brother-in-law was asking my daughter about it saying "I never heard of a Hi-Point", so I took him to the range with the 995TS. His reaction? "Bwah-ha-ha-ha! I have gotta get me one of these!" :D

I think if you start out just like you did with your C9, you'll be able to get a carbine set up to your liking with very little $$ or effort.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member