Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any noticed this?

I noticed this first with my 9mm TS. Not being familiar with the carbines I was constantly making sight adjustments. Drastic at first and then fewer over time. Now, I can use the peep and post at 50 yards with 7 of 10 inside the 9 - 10 ring and the other three within the 9 ring.

Recently, I bought the .40 and saw a repeat of the the same as with the 9mm. Out of the box I found that it seemed to be what I believe to be stress relieving throughout the first 100-150 shots.

Trying to set the sights any sooner seemed to be a waste of time. Regardless of what you use, the peep and post or a 4x scope or a high end 3-9x40, the barrel just seems to be walking all over the place at first. After a few boxes of ammo it seems to start settling down and producing more consistent groups.

Again, anybody notice this or is it just that I bought two different caliber guns 8 months apart and it was just a flip of the coin that got two with accumulated stress in the barrels.

·
Registered
187 Posts
there is a break in period out of the box for most everything. my 995 was dead on right out of the box and then i got into the problems you described. Now im at 1000 rounds (in about 3 months) and due to ammo issues and swapping sites im starting from scratch. I think if you go through your first 100-200 rounds then site it in you should make very minor adjustments after that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i experienced inconsistant accuracy at first with my 995. i was using a variety of handloads that included fmj's, jhp's, and hardcast lead round nose. i talked with hi point inre the situation with the erratic accuracy. they told me not to use the lead bullets in carbine as its rifling wasn't suited for them. i now use 115 gr. fmj's with a charge of bullseye, and the carbine is very accurate and consistent using peep and post sights.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I have yet to fire mine due to bad weather ( I got it last week ) But just sighting in down the barrel it just looks wonky !! I will wait til i get a chance to fire it and then see how far off it is !! Its probably just me ...again lol

I also put on a beamshot 1000 and it is defintely way off !

·
Premium Member
35,667 Posts
Sometimes the front sight is a little canted on new carbines...if that is the problem, you just loosen the set screws in the bottom, and move it to vertical, and tighten again.

But I see from your other post that this isn't a problem after all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for responding. For those who have doubts, I am known at our local reloading shop as being one who can take a "thug gun" and produce 1-2" moa with pistol caliber bullets after several months of trying different rounds and loads and such. So, I'm pretty sure it is not my adjustment period in question.

I went out this weekend with a new Savage .22mag. A couple of weeks ago I had brought the scope in at 100yds to shoot consistently in the 10 ring and then put it up as I was headed out for a hunting trip with my .03-06. (P.S. the deer chili is great!).

This time my first shot was right and at the 8 ring. But, I avowed not to move the scope as I usually do. The second moved inward about 1" and then the third and fourth seemed to settle in. And after a few more shots I then put 6 successive shots into a dime size group.

So, technically, IMHO, I proved my capability and I proved that the rifle and the ammo could do what I desired it to do "out of the box". The only thing was that this wasn't "out of the box" but rather, after about 50 shots of various ammo.

Hopefully then, I proved that the heat generated by each shot can result in some moving of the barrel. Just as with the previous week, as my barrel heated up the shot group moved back to the 10 ring and only then tightened up to acceptable levels.

As others have posted we can see that a break in period can help. The TS at the end pf the 9mm, .40, and .45 cal carbines can also imply "Tactical Simulated".

Following that the Hi-Point sights emulate a gas operated AK or M-X grade rifle, this factor of having high mounted sings can then make them more sensitive to minor adjustment as it only takes .001" barrel movement at 24 inches to equal 1/2" off center at 100 yards at the center of the barrel. This says nothing about the geometry as the scope moves further away from the centerline of the barrel.

So, let's do our due diligence and inform folks that any rifle might take some break-in period to stabilize, and, tell folks Merry Christmas because Jesus is the reason.... we know what Joy and Freedom can mean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found this thread extremely helpful. Thanks marineimaging. I have a new 4595 and I struggled through the first few hundred rounds and now it is settling down.

·
Premium Member
8,265 Posts
I think what you suspect makes total sense. Any machining of metal introduces internal stress that if not relieved during manufacturing will be present in the end product. I'm fairly sure I have read cheap mass produced barrels do have internal stress, and will move around for awhile. In high quality match grade barrels this stress is relieved, and then the barrel is honed to perfection before it is shipped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts